Klon circuits - bad sound

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, May 9, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Are you saying the two I tried aren't good?

After a couple $250 (cad) klon circuit pedals, I'd like to think I learned my lesson. How are those other ones different?

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

....the Chelley Ponyboy is around $125, and once more is in production. Also, I read that the original 3-knob Tumnus is preferred by many over the Tumnus Deluxe.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Fender amps have a lot of bottom end. Add this to the recent trend to add loads of bottom end to pedals. This is the "I Don't Like Tube Screamers Because Of The Midrange" trend.
    Many folks play at home, where they prefer more bass frequencies to fill out the sound. They rarely if ever, play in loud bands where the midrange push of the TS-9 cuts through the mix.
    When you crank up a Fender blackface amp. or boost the front end, you need to reduce the bass frequencies, or they get amplified the same as the highs and the mids, and the sound turns to mush. Add to this any of the current bass-heavy booster and overdrive pedals, and you can see where this is going.
    Tune with your ears, not your eyes.
    If there's too much bass, cut the bass. The trick is to find a compromise where you get an acceptable tone for cleans, and an acceptable tone for crunch, and an acceptable tone for solos.

All of that being said, I personally have never mind-melded with the Klon sound. No biggie, it works for some, not for all.
    There are only a bazillion other pedals to try. Next!

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  4. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

How hard are you pushing it?

I like my Soul Food. They say they sound a lot like Klons. But I don't use it for overdrive. I just leave it on, at modest settings, to give myself a more presence. Maybe that's pretty much what they're good for.

I have other pedals for boost and overdrive.

Sneaks and GibbyTwin like this.
  5. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

I never thought paying boutique prices for the mass market OEM built pedals is a particularly beneficial strategy. Sure it's your money, but you've been prompted.
    Alternatively Chellee Ponyboy v.3 is a top notch build klone (boutique if you want) that is readily available new at this very moment for just $119 (USD). No affiliation. Just a friendly advice.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

congradulations on your build. now you can afford a Dumble.

tah1962 and gregulator450 like this.
  7. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I have a mid priced & a low priced klone. They sound best into my SS amp, add a little more character. They sound good into tube amp, but nothing life changing.

I wouldn't imagine that the OP "just hasn't tried the right klone".
    My $.02

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's a reactive circuit. You can turn up the highs/tone control or whatever it's called on your pedal, but turning up the volume (not the gain) also increases the bass, so you have to find the best setting.

Not sure I'd want to use it with an amp without a master volume or mids knob, but that's my personal opinion.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  9. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

I never bonded with Klons either after trying several. Makes my tone too "rock" sounding. Just another one of those forum hype trains I got pulled into.

10. swijak

swijak TDPRI Member

I agree with Charlie. I'm playing Strats/Teles into a '70s Silverface Princeton Reverb original speaker. I'm using an EHX Soul Food as well. It really works well for my setup; in fact it is a bit too bright at times and I have to dial the treble back on the amp. I'm running it as a bit of a 'clean boost. Volume at 10 o,clock, Tone at 11 o'clock and gain between 9 and 10.

That being said every rig is different and everyone has different sonic expectations. I can't tell you how many times I've traded something that did not work for me for something that another guitar player didn't bond with and I ended up loving it.

Sneaks and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  11. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Im using a Caline Pegasus because it seemed closer to the Soul Food. I'm primarily playing through line 6 HD Fender Twin models and it sound fantastic. Mids pushed as gain increases. It works well as a clean boost in front of a MesaDR for high gain, in the same way a tube screamer is used by many folks. Did i say it was only $43 new on Reverb?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.