Klein's Flying Car Certified In Slovakia

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
It looks cool, but it's a mediocre, underpowered airplane made out of a mediocre, underpowered car. It will no doubt be in a Bond movie.

I love the idea of roadable airplanes, but for the same price you can buy yourself a really nice car to drive yourself to the airport and fly a really nice plane with 4-6 seats that cruises close to 200 mph.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Cool concept. It’s about time it got a facelift.
1643316041464.png

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Never happen in this country. By the time the car could meet all of the safety and emissions standards it would be to heavy to fly. This is what Moller realized in his quest to build a flying car.
But if it had 3 wheels it can be called a motorcycle and avoid some of the regulations

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
LOL!!! Humans can't hardly keep em on the road, let alone in the air??? Wow. I mean, I was always envious of George Jetson's car and all... but... I was a kid i.e. not living in reality then ;)

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Amazing that it seems to work. A few questions--what's the range? How much weight can you carry? Where can you takeoff and land, and in how much space?

For, say, l going to the Beach from DC on the weekend? Flying over the traffic jams, landing near the beach? It seems great but I'm guessing I'd have to drive to the nearest airport (DCA) and wait a while for clearance and then find a place to land near the beach?

Guitarzan

Poster Extraordinaire
It looks cool, but it's a mediocre, underpowered airplane made out of a mediocre, underpowered car. It will no doubt be in a Bond movie.

I love the idea of roadable airplanes, but for the same price you can buy yourself a really nice car to drive yourself to the airport and fly a really nice plane with 4-6 seats that cruises close to 200 mph.
I was surprised to see he used that little 1.7 liter BMW engine. I am curious how (or if) they modified it for aviation use.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Usually auto conversions involve a new valvetrain and modifications to cooling and lubrication. Airplanes run at relatively high power for long periods of time (60%+ of rated HP), while cars usually run at pretty low power (30%-ish) unless going for max acceleration.

They only get about 160HP max out of it, which is typical power for a midsize trainer (Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee, etc.) It's also about the power as my Outback, so this thing isn't going to be a speed demon in the air or on the ground.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
looks like a stall and recovery demonstration at 40 seconds in.

how much does it cost?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Folding wings seem sketchier to me than the powered parachute car (Maverick). It's funny that the Klein looks high tech while the Maverick looks like a dune buggy with a parachute, but the Maverick has 50 more hp.

ITECMaverick.jpg