1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Klein Nocaster Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Wicked-T, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Because Lately I'm having a love fest with my Tele I was on ebay last night and saw a used
    Klein nocaster pickup, you don't see these to much used even in Strat pickups, so I went
    for it. So what am I in for with these pickups I went on the Klein site and like what I read
    there hopefully it will be good in my tele. Anybody have experience with these or other Klein's?

2. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Out of the 8 or 9 bridge pickups I've tried over many years (including some popular ones by Ellis, Hamel, OC Duff, Van Zandt, Twang King etc.), the Klein Epic '52s are my favorite. A classic Tele sound with great mids, yet not overwound. I haven't tried the Nocaster, but I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

3. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I paid that outragously inflated price for a set of nocaster Klein tele pickups. After reading all his gobbley-gook about how he had old vintage wire analized for composition-& had the magnets analized & custom poured ( a feat which i was told doesnt exist unless your purchasing in huge volumes), i assembles them in my quality pine caster--the results?? The bridge was trebbley, icepickey, & shrill, the neck sounded nothing like a vintage neck- my tele basicaly barfed them up- resale on them was sh*t-! Took a major loss-would never recomend KLEIN NOCASTERS EVER!!

4. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear about that, what did you get to replace then?

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a Klein Broadcaster. No icepick problem, sounds very "Broadcasterish".

I have a lot of different pickup combinations and lately I've been using Cavaliers. Two of my guitars have the Cavs exclusively and one a combination of several makes and the SRV Tiger.

I love my PV58. The Fender pickups sound great.

You really don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good quality product.

Rich B in Tempe likes this.
  6. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Had Kleins in for a build, customer requested them. They sucked, ordered a set from Bare Knuckle....guy was happy as tit flies on a tit.

7. Pliny Junior

Pliny Junior TDPRI Member

My experience with Klein pickups has been great. I've used Klein Broadcaster, 1959 P.A.F., and 1957 P-90 pickups.

8. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

I have the 52 Esquire bridge pickup and their scooped mid range neck pickup. I think they sound great.

9. Boltneck

Boltneck Tele-Meister

I like mine. Did a MJT tele with the firebird pickup in place of the lipstick tele neck pickup, and a tele bridge pickup..both are Klein's.I'm pleased..

10. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I havent heard those PUs - but may I suggest that caps make a big difference in the sound of PU at this level. A cap that sound good on one PU may not sound so good on a another.

11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Ha! I also saw that pickup on ebay. Saved it in my watch list, too. Compared to his original selling price, you got a good deal. Hope it sounds good for you.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

What cap would you guy's use with it?

13. Wicked-T

Wicked-T Tele-Meister

Sorry about that champ amp, I saw it and push the button, listen If it doesn't work out I'll
    send you a PM if you still want it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

IMHO ....

there is not a thing at all bad about klein pickups. in fact, they're excellent transducers.

same for any other well built and working-as-designed pickup.

the pickups are not at fault.

there is no fault at all about anything or anyone.

it all comes down to personal preference. and as such, this is where people can too quickly acquire false strong impressions of what is "bad" and what is "good". because truthfully, they're all capable of being "good".

we're just all as diff'rent as the pickups. this is a good thing. it's what makes us all unique. while you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, beautiful music can be created from almost any decent, functioning passive pickup - it's all in the expertise of the player. a dramatic case in point are some of the early 20th century blues musicians we revere, banging away on electric powered boxes we might consider junk these dayze if we didn't know better.

when folks claim a particular pickup is "bad" OR "good", take that for what it is - someone else's personal tastes, maybe not yours.

basing your selection of a pickup by agreeing with the opinions of others, or listening to sound bytes, or reading through a buncha technical pickup sonic data promoted by scientist professors of pickups is, well, still gonna be pretty much a guess on yer part to at least some degree (usually a larger degree than smaller).

yes - to know what's "bad" or "good" for you ... yup, gotta see for yerself. that takes effort, time, and Money - what a pain! but there are no fast food free lunch instant answers happening - ya actually gotta do it yerself. what a novel approach that will be to some folks! cool!

15. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

What I always do is leave the control cavity loose and run clip leads from the tone control. I just clip in different caps while playing until I find the best cap (and orientation) for that guitar.

I may not be typical in that I have a small box of applicable caps - vintage and modern - collected over the years for hi-fi and amp building.

But given what non-guitar specific caps cost (not much), just buy $20 or $30 dollars worth in the typical values, of different compositions; i.e. mylar, poly, ceramic, etc., and find what you like. Then maybe buy a supposedly boutique guitar cap of the same composition.

16. Rob DiStefano

***ALL*** that matters with passive tone pot caps is their metered value. paper-in-oil caps are NOT meant for guitar circuits, they're for amps and the like. i say 'metered value' because it's nice to know just what that 20% cap actually is in terms of uf. the caps i typically use are the 'green weenies' metal films from radio shack, a pair for a buck fifty. i like small values for a better sweep range of tone before it all turns to mud - .022uf the largest and down to .010uf the smallest. great guitar circuit caps are cheap and super easy to swap out. some guyz who are anal about caps solder in a transistor socket where the cap would go, so they can plug 'n' play cap values to their heart's content.

Gibson, theprofessor and grooveiron like this.
  17. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

.022µF seems to be a good choice a lot of the time, not too aggressive so things don't get too muddy when you tighten the know all that way.

But as it is well put about tone caps, try some different ones to get the tone pot to work the way YOU want it to.

18. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Says the guy who builds pickups with minor differences in electrical construction because can easily be heard :lol:

Nevertheless, I agree that PIO caps dont sound very good in guitar related circuits.

Grant Austin likes this.
  19. Rob DiStefano

no, that's an incorrect conclusion. transducers that are built differently, just in the coil wire turn count alone, will make a sonic difference to yer ears. however, a gaggle of many different build caps - where each one meters precisely the same - none of those caps will render a sonic difference to the human ear.

IF you have a pair of precisely alike metered caps, where one is PIO and other other is a polyester mylar typical garden variety, there will be no difference in their functional output when swapped in and out of the same pot, in the same guitar circuit. the only difference is that of the two, the PIO has a much shorter functioning shelf life and really belongs in an amplification circuit, not in a guitar/bass circuit.

20. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

I have slogged through this objectivist - subjectivist argument before with people who rigidly "believe" "electrons is electrons" when it supports their beliefs.

If we reduce the "electrons is electrons" viewpoint to the simplest form, we would all be playing solid state amps because "electrical amplification is electrical amplification" and all tubes do is amplify the signal and SS does it better because it is more efficient.

Many/Most people in high-end audio accept that different caps of the same value can sound different. My ears tell me it is true - if yours tell you that it is not true, that is fine with me.

I admit to being annoyed when experts (self-proclaimed or highly educated) tell me that everything I know is wrong because they are (sometimes willfully) deaf to a particular phenomena.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.