1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

KLD Amp kits?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Binx, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

@Binx here’s what comes in the box:
    0BA8F551-DF54-4CFC-8E9D-212891232694.jpeg

That’s as far as I’ve gotten :-D

Binx, bender66 and Chunkocaster like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm impressed stuff shows up when you guys place an order.

After a near 3 month wait I never received my first order and it was cancelled. Ive been waiting about 8 weeks now and still no sign of my current order but I still have some hope seeing as it hasn't been cancelled yet.

3. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

@Chunkocaster Huge bummer. Yeah i was a little nervous, but kept emailing a Yongdong Pan ( kldguitar at yahoo dot com ). I'd wait for the estimate date to pass and cordially email for a new estimate with a note about the health of their team and the severity of the quarantine challenge. Not sure if you're ordering a kit or a finished product. It's possible the parts for my kit were laying around, while other orders are more impacted by lack of labor to assemble. Good luck!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, the first order was over a year ago, this recent one is just for tweed, grill cloth and some tolex. I placed a few other orders from china from different sellers after this one and they have already arrived. Not sure if they are affected by the quarantine or not. I think they just use a separate freight company to process their shipments which delays things. Your amp kit looks well organised. Look forward to hearing how it turns out and what you think of it when completed.

5. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Chunkocaster you may want to adjust your shipping expectations given your current location is in space with ziggy. :D

Chunkocaster and bender66 like this.
  6. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Farther than I've made it ;) looks like a decent kit. What are your plans for chassis and cab?

7. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

Chassis, thinking Home Despot sheet metal DIY. Cab... haven't decided if i'm going to make a head to match this 12" cab, or turn the cab into a combo. I'm thinking head. Currently my "head" is an old Crate acoustic solid state which I put an output jack on to run into the cab. It's an eminence legend GB128 in there.

upload_2020-3-6_11-22-25.png

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That's about where I'm at w the 18w. I have a donor VHT cab & speaker & an unmolested chassis for it. I just havent been able to devote time to it, mostly beyond my control.

9. dougsta

dougsta TDPRI Member

Head/Cab all the way, much more flexible, more options and much less vibration on the tubes, esp when you get those resonant frequencies distorting some notes.
    Easier to tolex too.

Doug

10. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes as well. I've recently become obsessed with getting a Marshall to add to my amps (Fenders). The JCM25 seems really interesting, based on 6L6 but with tough bias control to change to EL34s and KT66 for example. I calculated that the difference in price between the kit and the assembled amp is about $95, but you have to add a chassis to the kit price, costing about $60, so they seem to charge very little for the full amp (minus tubes of course). They also offer a 25W Bassman (if I understand the "25" to be the power output ;) Haven't spent the time to see the differences between the two schematics though. Silly price really for a fully assembled hand-wired amp! But I am still looking for anyone who has posted anything about what it sounds like!

11. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Anyone managed to get one assembled and tried it out?

12. jrd6867

jrd6867 TDPRI Member

Well I assembled the jtm25/bluesbreaker kit from them.

Pretty easy wiring. I used donor solid state amp andjust made holes where needed.

No hookup wire was supplied for the tube sockets.so keep that in mind.

Imho the power transformer and bias supply is better suited for 6v6 tube's maybe 6l6 tubes biased at 15-20 watts a piece.

The output transformer is marked 3.5k so better match for 6l6 tubes. Or use the 16ohm tap into a 8ohm speaker for 6v6.

I used a classictone output transformer for a 18watt Marshall in mine.

Very quite as in no hum or hiss in stock form.

The only problem I had was my mistake. Forgetting to hookup one wire for the tremelo.

Now I refused the 68k input resistor to 33k and reduced the first coupling cap to .01. Also changed a few 100k plate resistors to carbon comp. And gave it a little more vintage warmth. At the price of a little hiss at idle.

I only have 2 different speakers to run it through. A g12h30-55 UK made and a old weber texas 10. A lot of different tone can be had. From 5f6a bassman to tones in between a jtm45 and a plexi.

If you take your and go wire for wire. The hookup layout is correct. Just be sure and follow from beginning to end. I did the heater wires last. So it was easier to wire the other tube socket pins. Then started the heater wires at the first preamp tube. Making sure they came straight up off of the tube socket and then twist them together then route to the next tube socket. Being sure the go straight down to the pins.

All in all $150 kit. I think they are good. But transformer life may be an issue. Nothing wrong in the tone department

Paul-T likes this.
  13. jrd6867

jrd6867 TDPRI Member

Pics of the rats nest I created! I left the wires loose and untied just to make it easier to do some tweaking

Attached Files:

trancedental and Paul-T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.