KLD Amp kits?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Binx, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm new to this part of the forum. I saw a review of a KLD 5e3 kit, and my DIY GAS started up again! I have done pedals, but never amps and these seemed like a hold your hand kind of way to try it out. Not able to find a whole ton on them review wise and such.
    There are two models I am looking at, the mojo 25r (I think it is the same as the mojo 12hr they used to do) and the Pilot 15. I was hoping that someone who knows better than me could tell me the major differences based on the schematics, or which amp each is modeled after. Both are 6l6 amps based on vintage fenders.
    Here are the Ebay links, which have a picture of the schematics:

mojo 25r - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273889770338

Pilot 15 - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273936213607

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen decent deals from them on ebay recently but I purchased a bunch of tolex and marshall style grill cloth from them last year and they didn't bother posting it or letting me know so I'm hesitant in ordering anything from them again.

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I don't know about the kits, I missed the Pilot 15 heads when they were selling at about £130 on ebay, but picked up a lightly used one for £85 a couple of years ago. I bought a new hand wired PVA18 (Marshall 18W inspired) head direct from the importer for £170 a couple of months later. I don't know which Fender amp it sounds like, I tend to play it clean.

upload_2019-9-10_20-46-47.png upload_2019-9-10_20-47-17.png

Here is the Pilot 15 schematic;

upload_2019-9-10_20-42-33.png
    and the PVA18;

upload_2019-9-10_20-43-24.png

Hbom likes this.
  4. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

The mojo 25r is the same as the mojo 12, just a different power transformer. So now just to figure out the difference in the pilot 15 and the 25r :)

5. Binx

Binx TDPRI Member

It looks like the mojo is based on a blues deluxe maybe, and the pilot 15 is off of a hot rod. Wish they had some black face/silver face stuff but it looks like for fender it is just tweed

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought the 18w Marshall clone with reverb kit. It's still collecting dust. It's a bit more involved than I anticipated & will need help deciphering it.

I wish I would have just bought the head instead.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I've been intrigued by some of the kits, mainly due to price. Not sure how close they are to any specific design, though. The PVA 18watt looks to be SS rectified, for example. And all of their kits have pre-populated boards and PC mounted pots all connected together. Either you have to buy the specific chassis that fits, make one yourself, or try to get it to fit other chassis. The way the pots are connected, they won't fit a marshall 18watt type chassis without separating the pots, I suppose. The one that does work (PVA) is ugly and cheap looking, IMO.

They have pre-populated boards only for sale, as well, which is kinda cool. I've been eyeing the 5f1 board. But my calculations suggest you don't really save much over a regular 5f1 kit since you still gotta buy everything else separately. Just maybe save some time and soldering. The board and electrical components are the cheapest parts of an amp.

8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

If you want really good new builder support, check out Trinityamps.com
    Its a totally different price range but ive gotten to where after i put all the time and energy into building something, i feel like it deserves high quality parts

9. Hbom

Hbom TDPRI Member

I bought a PGA18HM from KDL on ebay 2 years ago. Nice little 18w reverb for the $. I bought the populated chassis without a cab and have had no issues since I've owned it.
    I had good experience with the seller and he helped me through a tube problem caused by custom officials hiding one of the tubes.
    If asked, I would suggest buying the set without tubes. Then get quality tubes.
    Only other complaint would be that his plans for building a cab for the chassis was done in some program that I could never find or get to work. So I had to figure out and design my own. Don't know if he has come up with a better plan since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.