KLD Amp kits?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Binx, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Hi all, I'm new to this part of the forum. I saw a review of a KLD 5e3 kit, and my DIY GAS started up again! I have done pedals, but never amps and these seemed like a hold your hand kind of way to try it out. Not able to find a whole ton on them review wise and such.
    There are two models I am looking at, the mojo 25r (I think it is the same as the mojo 12hr they used to do) and the Pilot 15. I was hoping that someone who knows better than me could tell me the major differences based on the schematics, or which amp each is modeled after. Both are 6l6 amps based on vintage fenders.
    Here are the Ebay links, which have a picture of the schematics:

mojo 25r - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273889770338

Pilot 15 - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273936213607

Chunkocaster likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen decent deals from them on ebay recently but I purchased a bunch of tolex and marshall style grill cloth from them last year and they didn't bother posting it or letting me know so I'm hesitant in ordering anything from them again.

3. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I don't know about the kits, I missed the Pilot 15 heads when they were selling at about £130 on ebay, but picked up a lightly used one for £85 a couple of years ago. I bought a new hand wired PVA18 (Marshall 18W inspired) head direct from the importer for £170 a couple of months later. I don't know which Fender amp it sounds like, I tend to play it clean.

upload_2019-9-10_20-46-47.png upload_2019-9-10_20-47-17.png

Here is the Pilot 15 schematic;

upload_2019-9-10_20-42-33.png
    and the PVA18;

upload_2019-9-10_20-43-24.png

Hbom likes this.
  4. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

The mojo 25r is the same as the mojo 12, just a different power transformer. So now just to figure out the difference in the pilot 15 and the 25r :)

5. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

It looks like the mojo is based on a blues deluxe maybe, and the pilot 15 is off of a hot rod. Wish they had some black face/silver face stuff but it looks like for fender it is just tweed

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I bought the 18w Marshall clone with reverb kit. It's still collecting dust. It's a bit more involved than I anticipated & will need help deciphering it.

I wish I would have just bought the head instead.

7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I've been intrigued by some of the kits, mainly due to price. Not sure how close they are to any specific design, though. The PVA 18watt looks to be SS rectified, for example. And all of their kits have pre-populated boards and PC mounted pots all connected together. Either you have to buy the specific chassis that fits, make one yourself, or try to get it to fit other chassis. The way the pots are connected, they won't fit a marshall 18watt type chassis without separating the pots, I suppose. The one that does work (PVA) is ugly and cheap looking, IMO.

They have pre-populated boards only for sale, as well, which is kinda cool. I've been eyeing the 5f1 board. But my calculations suggest you don't really save much over a regular 5f1 kit since you still gotta buy everything else separately. Just maybe save some time and soldering. The board and electrical components are the cheapest parts of an amp.

8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

If you want really good new builder support, check out Trinityamps.com
    Its a totally different price range but ive gotten to where after i put all the time and energy into building something, i feel like it deserves high quality parts

9. Hbom

Hbom TDPRI Member

I bought a PGA18HM from KDL on ebay 2 years ago. Nice little 18w reverb for the $. I bought the populated chassis without a cab and have had no issues since I've owned it.
    I had good experience with the seller and he helped me through a tube problem caused by custom officials hiding one of the tubes.
    If asked, I would suggest buying the set without tubes. Then get quality tubes.
    Only other complaint would be that his plans for building a cab for the chassis was done in some program that I could never find or get to work. So I had to figure out and design my own. Don't know if he has come up with a better plan since.

bender66 likes this.
  10. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

What would be the big difference in these kits vs mojotone or other options (that are generally 2x as much $)? Quality control is probably one... but other than that?

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm interested in their 5e3 kit now. The price has come down on the full kit with transformers etc, still need a chassis and tubes but there are decent deals on them from other sellers. I'd be putting the chassis in a cheap and quick scrap pine head cab anyway in the short term.

Did you get one? Are they accurate 5e3 clones?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  12. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

Chunkocaster and dan40 like this.
  13. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

With it including the chassis that one is a pretty good deal. If they had a Princeton 6G2 kit I would probably go with them (when I finally get the time). I think I will get the princeton clone from KLD when that time comes

14. rough eye

rough eye Tele-Meister

oops sorry, didn't realize you were looking for a princeton.

15. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

No no, good call, @Chunkocaster was looking for a 5e3, and that boothill kit looks like it would be a great kit

rough eye likes this.
  16. bermuda

bermuda TDPRI Member

+1 for Boothill. I saw one of the KLD amps last week and what a piece of crap. Save yourslef the hassle and get a Boot Hill kit.

17. dougsta

dougsta TDPRI Member

I bought the mojo 12 HR kit back in 2018, for the price you got a populated pre-soldered eyelet board, PT and OT (mine also had a small 230v/12v ac transformer to use as the reverb OT) a high impedance type reverb tank, switches, sockets, stand-offs etc. Basically everything you need except the tubes and hook-up wire, a good deal IMHO.

All you had to do was assemble the parts in your own chassis/cab (I picked up a Marshall MG50 DFX combo for 20 bucks as a donor cab/chassis)

If it's not your 1st rodeo these are ok but be aware that the build instructions are just the layout/schematic photos you see in the ebay listing.

As it happens it was my 1st rodeo!

I would advise to read the build instructions from a full kit provider, focus on the hookup and trouble shooting sections. I hooked it up ok but almost crapped myself for my power up with a speaker connected, I hooked-up the polarity for the OT wrong.

Doug.

bender66 likes this.
  18. Randy Jones

Randy Jones TDPRI Member

I just received their Princeton kit last week. It came well packaged and is one of their "handwired kits" which means p2p wiring and a bit more soldering than their PCB kits like the Pilot. For example, the controls all come as a pre-mounted and grounded unit with correct leads coming off the pots, but you have to wire them to the board with associated resistors which come nicely labeled in bags. Solder joints seem ok so far. I did check all the components and they match what's expected on the schematic, so that's good :) So far the only thing missing is the fuse. No big deal to order one.

As Doug mentions above, it's also my first rodeo and the lack of step by step is the biggest drawback so far. However, i'm in it for the fun of figuring it out, not getting a Princeton for cheap. @doug which instructions did you find most helpful? The only one i've seen is from Stewmac.

KLD's communication was excellent during shipment delays caused by coronavirus lockdown on exports. They responded to questions within a few hours and provided all the "instructions" digitally so i could learn the circuit.

bender66 likes this.
  19. dougsta

dougsta TDPRI Member

@Randy, yes, stewmac is a good resource, also ampmaker is good.

Randy Jones likes this.
  20. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Keep us updated on the p2p princeton, that is the one I would be interested in from their lineup

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.