KK pure pre amp

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Axegrinder77, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Very disappointed so far.

I've had a kk mini in my d28 for many years. Sounds pretty good, but a little boomy and bassy. Crank down the bass on my fishman loud box mini and it's a pretty good sound.

Fast forward, I have the under saddle removed from my Gibson j15 and replaced with a kk. My thinking was then I can get the kk pre amp and use with both guitars. (The stock ust wasn't working well anyways, and I don't love anything between the saddle and the guitar.)

So long story short. I plug the gibby into the pure pre amp, then into the board and pa. Sounds pretty tinny. Mess around with the internal gain knob etc, no real improvement. Tried the Martin, same mediocre results.

My buddy had his much cheaper larrivee acoustic with ust and his guitar sounded head and shoulders better plugged into the pa.

Should I look for another pre amp with Di? Or should I accept that the kk isn't my sound? I mean, it sounds pretty good into the amp. The pre amp actually makes things worth in that set up.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Axe

2. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Several players I know use the Redeye preamp with K & K. I really like the Trance Amulets for plug and play.

I want to try one of these.

http://jamesmayengineering.com/

Bergy and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I run all my K&Ks through a Fire-Eye Red-Eye.

Easy to use and sounds great.

When I'm using a brace of instruments, I have EQs in front of each so I don't have to adjust things between songs.

(And I suspect that I would have been happy with a Fire-Eye Dee-Eye.)

4. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I use a LR Baggs Venue works great, however looking at that Fire Eye Red Eye I'm pretty interested in that. May need to pick one up.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

+ kk and red eye

6. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm Fishman all the way but look into a PZ Pre. The shop I bought my Collings talked me into KK and I had them take it out after a day. Now with that said, I'm running through a very pricey Grace Audio Alex pre amp that has tons of control and outputs

7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I honestly don't love the kk. To me it sounds just ok. I don't really like the feedback and the boominess.

The big advantage is not having a strip of whatever material under the saddle. My priority is to optimize the tone unplugged, which is 90% of my playing.

I'll look into the red eye. I suspect the problem is that the pure pre amp doesn't have a DI. (Only guessing). But that doesn't even explain why it sounds bad going into the amp.

A nice balanced warm full tone is not happening with this set up.

8. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Not sure what the issue might be. I have this system in two guitars and both sound fabulous.
    The K&K definitely likes a preamp but tinny is not a description I would give a properly installed Pure Mini.

9. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i have a kk pure mini in my martin and i also have the kk preamp. it doesn't sound tinny. it sounds really good. i've also plugged into a baggs venue DI and it sounded great with it too.

i'm not sure what the "doesn't have a DI" comment means in regard to plugging into a PA... i guess i thought my kk pre was a DI?

10. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

+1 for Red Eye + kk mini.

11. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I have a K&K in my Taylor 412 and gig with it through a Loudbox Mini. I think the sound is very good. I also think all acoustic amps are voiced to accommodate piezo pickups that need a big bass boost. The K&K puts out a lot of bass. With my Loudbox I have to turn the bass and treble almost completely down for a good sound, but it is a very good sound. I also like my Red Eye preamp, a quality piece of gear.

12. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

I have the smaller one, no DI, just a pre amp.

popthree likes this.
  13. popthree

ah, yeah the one i have has an XLR out and can run on phantom power. i swapped a used boss tremolo for it. guess i got a good deal. haha. i didn't realize they had so many different models.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  14. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

I've been using a pure mini with a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal with good results. I tried this based on others using this same setup also with good results.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I use K&K Mini's with the Pure Preamp with a D15, 00015M, 00016SGT, Larrivee Parlor and a D28. They sound fantastic together and I have a Loudbox 100 or I go right into the PA mixer.

The K&K Mini and the Pure Preamp are very popular. I wish that I could be more helpful but a lack of bass from a D28 and a K&K rig is strange.

Did a good luthier install the K&K? Are the pads placed properly?

black_doug likes this.
  16. popthree

i recently played at a Neil Night event using my martin with a K&K. i plugged it into the Baggs pre that was being provided, for ease and speed.. after i finished, another fella who was playing the event came up and was fawning all over my guitars sound. he was just beside himself.

his tone was also great so i'm not sure why he was so spellbound. all that to say, i've never regretted adding the K&K to my guitar.

17. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

I had the K&K put in my Dread Jr. It sounded fine, but the feedback was terrible and every little string squeak was amplified so bad that I was frustrated. I was asked to play in church a few weeks ago and my Yairi was out of commission so I was determined to use the Martin Jr. I was experimenting with different EQ and amps and remembered I had an old Boss Acoustic Simulator pedal I bought many years ago and rarely used with my Tele. So I tried using that pedal like an equalizer and had good luck! It controlled the feedback and controlled the squeaking and thumping sounds with a little knob turning. I also put on some D'Addario Flat Top strings and I think that also helped with the squeaking. The pedal might just be a temporary fix, but worked in a pinch. I'm wondering if I could have a volume/tone control put on the Martin Jr. with the K&K??

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.