1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kiss & the famous telecaster sound!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Oct 27, 2017.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Yesterday I found some pictures from Bell Sound Studios from fall 1973 when Kiss recorded their classic selftitled first album. I was a bit surpriced about the guitars though. In Kiss Ace Frehley is world famous for his Les Pauls and Paul Stanley for his use och Gibson Firebirds and V's in the early days and later the Ibanez PS/Iceman. But when they recorded this first epic album with songs like Deuce, Firehouse, Black Diamond, and Cold Gin, they played different guitars. Ace obviously played a Fender Telecaster Deluxe! He also played a Ovation Breadwinner. Paul on the other hand did play a Les Paul, and he also played the same Breadwinner as Ace.

I wonder if Ace had continued with the Telecaster on stage, what we would have thought of the tele today. Ace hade a huge impact on a whole generation of up and coming guitarists (myself included). When Ace bought his first Les Paul when they went on tour for that first record, he really changed the future for the guitar market in some aspect, and he didn't have a clue about it. Nor did Gibson or Fender. Funny how things turn out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim S, JORear, Nixxy and 6 others like this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Breadwinners were a unique instrument. The active preamps were powerful and gave the guitar a lot of flexibility. I think it suffered from it's soace-ship/paint-palette looks and possibly it was just ahead of it's day. If it was introduced today it would probably gain more acceptance.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Teleterr likes this.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Thanks for posting this, I haven't seen these pictures before.
    However, being both a KISS fan and a Tele player, I don' think the two would've mixed in the long run.
    The KISS sound is based on a bridge humbucker plugged straight into a cranked Marshall.
    They were also one of the first to use Dimarzio pickups (Larry Dimarzio was a friend of Gene's), Paul used the Super II and Ace used the Super Distortion, both very hot pickups (Paul later switched to EMG's)
    I just don't think a Tele with a single coil would do the KISS sound right.

cmclayton101 and rooboo like this.
  4. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Well that's what we thought before we saw theese pictures! I always heard Ace bought the Les Paul with advance money for the first record, so I assumed he recorded the album with that tobacco sunburst Les Paul he is so famous for. But it turns out he probably bought the guitar after they recored the album. So Ace's tone on the first album is obviously a mix of Breadwinner and a Tele Deluxe. Both humbucked guitars though. I listened th the album yesterday after I found the pictures and searched exclusively for a "tele tone" now I know there (probably) is one. The solo in Firehouse was the only one i thought it "sounded tele", what it really was I guess we'll never know.

5. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

I think people of our generation wanted Les Pauls because Page played one. Don’t recall any of my friends being influenced to buy one becauce Ace Frehley played a Les Paul and can’t imagine someone wanting a tele if that was Frehleys main guitar. I mean I didn’t want fireworks shooting out of my guitar because of Ace....

SonsOfMoog, oldfish, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

I betcha those were just studio guitars layin' around, KISS didn't really make it big until 1975. I remember reading in an old interview with Ace that he once bought an old Tele in a pawnshop while on tour.
    It'd be interesting to interview him now again about the early years, but I somehow doubt he remembers anything :cool:

ianstrike, cmclayton101 and tweedlux like this.
  7. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Then you must be the same generation as Ace, seeing how much Led Zeppelin was an influence on KISS. ;)
    Seriously, I read somewhere that Gibson thanked Ace for saving the reputation of the Les Paul which the 70's kids considered to be a Jazz guitar.

cmclayton101 and rooboo like this.
  8. Broadchurch

Broadchurch TDPRI Member

Deuce was played on a Tele!?! Yay....we win!!!!!

horax, Modman68, basher and 2 others like this.
  9. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

The Breadwinner is pretty well documented as Ace guitar before the Les Paul. The Telecaster Deluxe was news to me. Might absolutely be a studio guitar laying around. He played it, that's for sure. But if it ended up on the record we'll never know…

10. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Maybe we're not from the same generation? Ace's impact on furure musicians is very well documented. People from Lenny Kravitz to Dimebag Darell has praised Ace. McCready in Pearl Jam, Scott Ian, Slash, Tom Morello, John 5, Dave Mustaine, Garth Brooks, Paul Gilbert, River Cumo from Weezer, Kim from Soundgarden, Jerry Cantrell… the list goes on and on about famous guitarists that praise Ace's impact.

Plus nobodys like myself that never got famous but then again never stopped playing;)

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I guess Ace musta saved the Les Paul from jazz & doom...good thing aspiring players & musicians never noticed other ‘70’s ’Paul guitarists like;
    Billy Gibbons ~ Joe Perry ~ Mick Ronson ~ Peter Frampton ~ Bob Marley ~ Frank Zappa ~ Joe Perry ~ Paul Kossoff ~ Gary Moore ~ Steve Jones ~ Mick Taylor ~ Mick Jones ~ Marc Bolan ~ Neil Young ~ Joe Walsh ~ Steve Hacket ~ Dickey Betts...
    ...KISS my Ace! ;):confused:o_O

12. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

in the first place, he had other guitars too. Early gigs show him with a les paul junior and an epiphone batwing, in addition to the breadwinner. There were les pauls around too.

We have no idea what guitars were used on which tracks for the first album and he probably doesnt remember.

I did read one quote where he said he often doubletracked his rhythm parts with a Tele, so thats probably what he was doing in the photos.

Jakeboy likes this.
  13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Kiss and Tele fan here too, great pictures and info, great stuff

rooboo likes this.
  14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Maybe I understand why those guys covered up in all the makeup now!

I'll have to give their first album a listen. I kind of like some of there stuff these days, but I was born in 1977, when I started liking this kind of music (mid 80s) I really hated Kiss... their albums sounded like garage quality back then.

My teacher calls them "c o c k rock", seems about right, not that there is anything wrong with that.

neutronrobot likes this.
  15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Er you really should give them a listen, the 1st self titled album and Hotter than Hell too, but definitely Destroyer and Love Gun also, great classic Kiss stuff. I've been into Kiss for 40 years now and don't ever tire of that early sound!

16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Paul had a couple guitars that were custom made at that time. I can't remember who made them but it was someone on 48th street.

I have one of Vinnie Cusano's JMPs that I got from him a few years back - killer guitar player.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  17. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Cool info on the Vinnie JMP, is it a 2203?

Paul had a custom made flying V from a guy called Lebou. There is a site with quite good coverage of Kiss guitars. The Ace Frehley Telecaster Deluxe is not mentioned there though.

http://axeology.com

Yes I am both a guitar nerd and a Kiss nerd.

Lefty Addams likes this.
  18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

This.

I read the same quote. Paul said they often double-tracked with Fenders on top of the Gibbies. Always a good plan. Still works today.

Wrong-Note Rod and rooboo like this.
  19. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

As iconic as Ace with a Les Paul is, I think the Ovation breadwinner would have fit really well with his costume later on.

Teleterr and rooboo like this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Who are these guys you're listing? ;)..........(just kidding) I am NOT dumping on Kiss, they're just not my cup of tea. Don't know what song it was I first heard, but I remember thinking, "They're copying Arthur Brown!!!" Don't know if Kiss ever owned up to the Arthur Brown connection, but with the make-up, theatrics, use of fire, AND the vocal and musical styles, there's no doubt in my mind of his influence.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.