KISS is now in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Dec 17, 2013.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It doesn't matter who we're discussing, KISS, Bieber, Dylan, Nirvana, Blake Shelton, there's always someone who loves em' and someone who doesn't. That's a given. It's when someone tells me that: A - If I say anything other than "They are awesome!" then I'm a hater, or B - If I don't like them then I don't understand them or music in general, then I really think folks who make those comments are wound a little too tight and need to consider a step back.

Please feel free to bash me over the head with this post if I ever come on here calling someone a hater because they ridicule a band I love! Thanks!

2. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

It's only words...
    -Bee Gees-

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Right on! Well said. I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like. I think insisting that because somebody doesn't like something means they don't understand it is silly. And a little insulting. All it means is that it doesn't mean the same thing to them that it means to you. It's a band, dudes. Even if it's your favorite band, somebody else hating them won't make them mean anything less to you, so why do you care? It's one thing to discuss and debate. It's another entirely to get uptight because somebody doesn't like what you like. I like sushi. A lot. Some people find the mere idea of it disgusting. Doesn't change the way it tastes to me.

I understand that millions of people love a band that I don't think has any merit whatsoever. I don't get it, but it doesn't ruin my life.

I think Townes Van Zandt is the greatest songwriter that ever lived. I have a really good friend who thinks he's an entirely overrated hack, who's only famous because he was total screwup. We're still friends. He doesn't see what I see, and I think what he sees is silly, but so be it. It ain't the end of the world.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not every human being is hooked together the same way. I'd rather romance the young lady in a field of flowers, no drinks at all while other people wanna be so bombed, I don't know how they remember a thing about it. The same thing applies to music. I think dumbed down music is DUMB, not fun. I would much rather be smiling ear to ear at something that is working on a hundred different levels and members of the audience all get a different experience, at least to some degree. When you go to the lowest common denominator then keep going and going. And going. What is the objective? To force out much of the potential highbrow audience and concentrate as the mail order TV commercials do, on people who don't like a bit of growth or challenge in their music product. You'll be a hit with them; you can't lose so long as you don't aim too high.

I remember a couple of the younger parents, neighbors with younger sons - the parents a half generation in front of me and the kids a half generation behind and the parents asked me about Kiss; a number of questions all of which added up to: "Is this band Safe for my sons? John Lennon and Jerry Garcia make me nervous - I don't want my child to grow up to be a draft dodger or a commie." And I told them, yes, the band in innocuous and they won't be harmed, best I can tell.

Is that what we mean by "fun"? Sounds dreadful to me.

5. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Well I sure hope it'll be the original line up of Gene, Paul, Ace and Chris for the award ceremony.. they'll pull it together for an introduction concert too.. should be awesome!

I recently read Nothin' To Lose - The Making of KISS (1972 - 1975)

[​IMG]

It was outstanding, highly recommended. Those young men worked their asses off to become successful in the beginning, very rough going... and its a miracle they were able to survive those early brutal days. I don't know anybody that worked harder.

So ya major congrats to KISS again for becoming Hall of Famers...

6. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a lot about Kiss, mostly just the well known stuff. I've seen some of their old concert videos and some oddities like the Phantom in the Park special, I enjoy them as a group and don't knock them being in the hall of fame. I just never dug them on that deeper level, or "connected" with their music or whatever.

But I'm giving this Elder music a chance, lol man wtf am I listening to? I can't say that it's good but it's definitely.. interesting

7. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

I haven't listened to them in many years, but when I was a youngster, Kiss was about all that mattered. I started another thread about the book Power Chord by Thomas Scott McKenzie. He is a big Kiss fan and talks to Ace Frehley and Bruse Kulick in chapters of the book. Reading that today got me listening to some Kiss on Youtube and searching for Ace Frehley Les Paul's on Ebay. That older stuff, up to about Kiss Alive II is pretty good - sounds a lot different to me now than when I was 10 or 12.

8. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

If you want to listen to Kiss, my advice is to go back to the 70's. I have never listened to The Elder, but I understand it's Kiss that even Kiss hates.

Try listening to Dressed to Kill or Rock and Roll Over or Destroyer for some real Kiss albums.

As a youngster, I firmly stopped liistening to Kiss after Dynasty. The original band was pretty much done after that.

9. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Worth noting that it's the Rock 'N' Roll Hall of FAME... not the Hall of Musicianship, the Hall of Profundity or the Hall of Songwriting.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Steve Earle thinks this and I and a number of folks think Steve Earle at his best is far beyond wherever TVZ got.

But - that depends on how important melody and/or hooks are to you.

Earle has always had a grasp of both the lyrical and melodic/hook side of songs - TVZ only the former.

But - there's waaaay more people "into music" who have no idea who Chuck Prophet and Alejandro Escovedo are than those who have even heard of them so nothing's fair and people dig what they dig.

From 6 page back : G n R ?

Yes they were miles beyond Britney Fox and White Lion and Poison.

But - was there even a sprinkling of LA glam/hair there ? A taste of the tired lead singer/lead guitarist thing that had been done to death for almost 20 years at that point ?

Yeah.

There was.

GnR finally pried the door to the "hair house" open and let some air in but - just a crack.

(That crap persisted for another 3-5 years post-1987)

Nirvana rode in on a bulldozer and flattened it. (Lita Ford is still angry :lol:)

But - remember the 5-8 years after Nevermind ? All the Nirvana wannabe's like Silverchair and Bush ?

That stuff was tedious from the get-go.

And the most famous of those pretenders still with us today and still fairly huge ?

Nickelback. With the smarmy lead singer married to Avril Lavigne.

A Bizarro-world Kurt and Courtney...

11. Nadany

Nadany Tele-Meister

If you're into Les Pauls and Marshalls, I don't see how you cannot like Ace Frehley.

As far as I'm concerned, Ace (and Jimmy Page of course) solidly placed the LP on the map. They transformed that guitar into a sex symbol. That alone should be a factor into their entry to the HOF.

12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I confess that I haven't read every post, but I have read over half of them. So if anyone else has said this before I apologize. But come on ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL. You ain't nothin' but a hound dog,,. Yeah that's real profound.

13. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I think it may be cold gin time again. You know it'll always win. :twisted:

14. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

That's a s-t-r-e-e-e-e-t-c-h if I ever read one. I bear Ace no ill will, but the only thing he brought to the Les Paul was pyrotechnics. Mike Bloomfield, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Dickie Betts, Jeff Beck, John Fogerty, Mick Ronson, Carlos Santana, Peter Frampton, and oh yeah, that Page guy... just about everyone else playing blues or hard rock after 1967 had a Les Paul in their hand at one point or another. Ace was fine, but he didn't 'transform' the LP into anything but a rocket launcher. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Absolutely have to +1 this.

16. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Townes Van Zandt is *famous*???? :D

17. Scantron08

Scantron08 Tele-Afflicted

Wishful thinking.

18. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Don't you think you might be being a little heavy with dismissing other peoples' experience? Isn't the initial spark in any creative journey important even if one eventually gets beyond it. I've been playing for 30 years, I've listened to , learned and enjoyed all sorts of music, but the thing that made me think "I want to do that" was Kiss. Obviously, it was the comic book superhero aspect of the band that drew my interest as a little boy, but it was the songs and riffs that I spent hours learning. The first C#- chord I ever struggled to play was the intro to "C'mon And Love M, what makes you think that experience is any less valid than wanting to play any song as part of learning to play?

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There's nothing wrong with your experience. What is wrong is your attribution. You're forgetting that 80% of the boys watching the show also strove to get and many got guitars, too, or they got makeup and went to acting classes, or they didn't get a violin or rifle when they otherwise might have. Are they as individuals entitled to no credit of their own for what effort they made? Every little guy wants to be an astronaut or a pilot or fireman but amongst those that do, they have something that existed independent of this rather "casual" childhood experience. Buzz Aldrin did not "make" that young astrophysicist alone. Copernicus and Glenn and a bunch of other lesser known people played a role also but the individual played the real role. Given how kids react to astronauts why aren't there 300,000 astronauts in this country today?

I decided to go to theology school because I saw this butterfly on a cool summer day. That's what I read when I read your post, but you won't accept the fact that there's another butterfly 25 minutes later if I miss the first.

I'm hitting a little harder because the hammer is making contact with 45 year old concrete. It really gets hard over time. ;)

20. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Well, you may have a point as I recall wanting to be a Jedi Knight for a while, too.

Personally, though, I can see the right butterfly being the perfect reason to go to divinity school.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.