Kinman Pickups...anything else?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telephant, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Telephant

Telephant TDPRI Member

I'm looking at Kinman pickups, specifically the 60's custom set.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should consider that is similar or superior in either tone or price before I pull the trigger on them.

Many thanks for any advice!

2. fenderix

fenderix Poster Extraordinaire

I have a set of 60's Custom in my sunburst 62RI Tele. I've had them there for many years now - a marriage made in heaven.
    A bit pricey, but airy and with excellent tone and dynamics.
    Pull the trigger - you won't be disappointed.

I see that this is your first post - welcome to the TDPRI, Telephant!

3. Telephant

Telephant TDPRI Member

thanks for the feedback, they aren't exactly cheap so I just want to consider all my options before ordering.

Thanks for the welcome too...teles seem to be my new addiction. :cool:

4. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

The only thing I've heard of with the same kind of following are the Joe Barden but they seem to have more of a love/hate thing going on. Many love the sound and many seem to think they're too bright and hi-fi sounding. I haven't used them so I can't give an informed opinion. Welcome to the forum!

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I had the Broadcaster set with a 59 strat in the middle and the TK9 no solder harness in my American Telecaster. For noiseless pickups they are very good. But they didn't give me what I wanted. I wanted the humbucker convenience with that single coil sound as they promise but when it comes down to it nothing is going to give you single coil tele twang except single coil. I tried playing with the pup height as Kinman suggested. I recorded a couple songs with them and they had a nice beefy overdriven sound but I didn't like them to much clean. NOt warm sounding at all.
    At the time I sort of bought in to Kinmans claim that they are true vintage sound. Until one night I picked up the lead singers older tele with vintage pups and wow, night and day.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Tele-Holic

I like the DiMarzio Area pickups - they really do sound good. If they're good enough for Paisley, they're more than adequate for me! Plus, they're a heck of a lot cheaper. I liked 'em so much I put some Area 67s in my strat's neck and middle position. Couldn't be happier.

7. Telething

Telething TDPRI Member

Welcome Telephant,
    Did you say (addiction?) noooo!!!!
    My buddy has the Kinmans .
    Sweet balanced sound on his Tele.

It is a Telething...

8. Telephant

Telephant TDPRI Member

I'm also considering the Fralins as well...listened to some demos and now my head is even more confused.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Tele-Afflicted

If you are looking for the ultimate in single coil tone, they are a compromise, just like most noiseless pickups. A very decent sounding compromise, but not the real deal. They do get rid of the noise with a minimal hit on tone.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes the Fralins are something I want desperately to try as well. I have a friend building a parts caster and he's putting Fralins in.
    Unless noiseless is a requirement that you absolutely have to have, I wouldn't go with the kinmans.

11. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I had Kinmans in my strat, and they were fantastic. I tried a set in a tele and just couldn't get comfortable with them.

I do like the Area T pickups from DiMarzio. And Bill Lawrence makes some fantastic pickups - not noiseless, but low noise and toneful.

12. pgambon

pgambon Tele-Meister

I have the Broadcaster set in a tele and the Blues set in a Strat. I also have some Mares in a Strat as well as GFS/Duncan/ etc experience. It's fair to say they aren't 100% single coil, but maybe 95%? I do believe they handle gain, even moderate amounts, better than single coils. They are fine pickups that I can't bring myself to part with. I've been through a lot of pups, so that says allot!

13. fws6

fws6 TDPRI Member

I had a 1956 Telecaster which had its original PUs replaced with Kinmans

Didnt like them

I guess it also depends on what you do with the guitar. I play jazz blues country rockabilly and never use effects: just guitar - cord -tube amp

If you use a bit of crunch or distortion or so in your guitar sound the kinmans might be good to get a decent tele tone without the hiss

but if you are playing 100% clean for a Tele to sound like a Tele you NEED that single coil twang so my advice is to go for a 'real' single coil

14. johnny guitar

johnny guitar Tele-Meister

I have had Kinmans, Fralins, Lollars, Duff, Vintage Vibe, and many nice Fender pups in teles, and currently have Barden/Gatton pups in a '52, and the Bardens smoke all the other ones for lunch. They are unreal.

15. Telephant

Telephant TDPRI Member

Well...after a lot of thought and research I ended up going with the Fralins.

It was a tough decision but hopefully I'll be happy with them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.