King Of The Fairies - Fast Irish Rock

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Pixie-Bob, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

This is my first cut of this 160 BPM Irish rock tune. It started off as an homage to Horslips who recorded a version in the early 1970s and then it veered off into Thin Lizzy-ish territory.

We've got the usual stuff: Electric Guitar and Bass, but also some Minimoog sounds in there as well along with some synth textures.

American Deluxe Precision Bass - played with a pick
    Yamaha SG2000 -> Fender Bassbreaker 15 head -> Palmer PG-04 load box (no pedals)
    Synapse The Legend (Moog Model-D emulation)
    Fiddle, Whistle etc...

radiocaster likes this.
  2. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I have to confess that leaves me cold. I know that song on the flute. It's a cool tune, but I think the version you posted misses the mystery and weirdness of the original tune altogether. Of course we all have different tastes.

There are legends that if you play that song correctly three times the king of the fairies ill in fact appear and he might not be pleased at being summoned. Or maybe you played it right and I have it all wrong. Has he show up yet?

3. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

That was the intent - to create something different to the original (which is played on a tin whistle, not a flute). But I'm very grateful to you for you own, honest and personal assessment. Thank you for taking the time to listen and reply.

4. maxvintage

"the original" would be much older: See here: https://tunearch.org/wiki/Annotation:King_of_the_Fairies_(The)

The earliest know version of the tune is in an 1840 collection. It's often associated with Sligo

i'm writing a book partly about irish folk music so I'm very invested in that tradition at the moment

5. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

There are native references to the tune pre-Cromwell - so, 1649. I would imagine that it was certainly doing the rounds during the time of O'Neill and O'Donnell. Many of these Victorian references appeared in the early 19th century simply because at that point, the entire country had been conquered and therefore the collectors of information could move freely about the land.

6. maxvintage

it's cool that these tunes are still around, isn't it?

7. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

One of the major objectives of expelling the Brits was to reclaim our culture. I think we did pretty well at that. I'm very glad that when I was growing up in Dublin in the 1960s, that I could experience a revival of Gaelic music and literature along side experiencing the Beatles and Rolling Stones.

maxvintage likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.