1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Dec 31, 2020.

1. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

This is why I like TDPRI, always a fresh feast.
    I'm most familiar with Discipline era, thanks to this thread I'm going to listen to all their earlier work.

2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    I saw the first album in the store rack and bought it. It was so different it had to be good. It was. Been a life long fan and have seen them in multiple incarnations.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've always been a "fan", although my preference is the early Greg Lake/Michael MacDonald "In the Court...."era.
    In fact, among my top ten favorite LP's is the MacDonald and Giles one.....both alumni of King Crimson.

4. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I guess that was before he joined the Doobie Brothers. :)

Ron R and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

P1010002.JPG
    In The Court of the Crimson King Blu-ray+3CD edition and a double vinyl set, for its 50th anniversary.

24 track likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

Oops!......IAN MacDonald and MICHAEL Giles.
    Coffee hasn't fully kicked in yet. ;)
    I won't go back and edit, don't want to make your post look nonsensical.

Ron R, 24 track and Durtdog like this.
  7. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

In The Court Of The Crimson King came out when I was in Junior High and was just mind blowing. But a lot of music during that time was and KC got shelved like many other bands/albums and replaced with something else. But then I heard Discipline on some evening show on NPR and was re-blown away. I got tickets to see that lineup at Oberlin College and their live performance was every bot as good, if not better, than the album.

Then a couple years ago or so I discovered this live show and had never heard the studio versions of any of the songs. Once again I was blown away. It takes a lot of patience to take in much of the music in this show, both for the odd meter combinations and the melodic dissonance. Even a simple blues song is anything but simple. There is an awful lot of sound made by 4 musicians.

8. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

My drum teacher gave me a few albums when I was in high school in 1990, including the first KC album (the other albums were the first Mahavishnu album, and Herbie Hancock Headhunters and Thrust. I still own and listen to all of those). I had never heard of King Crimson, but was and remain blown away by 21st Century Schizoid Man, and by them as a band in general.

At that time, KC was not an active band. Five years later they came back with Vroom and Thrak. Tickets went on sale for their show while I was on a road trip. I remember calling from a pay phone at a deserted beach in Florida to buy tickets.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Saw King Crimson twice live.
    Sorry, I'm with your friends.

10. lgherb

lgherb Tele-Meister

If you have one of the original Polydor "League of Gentleman" albums by Robert Fripp, on side 2 between the album and the label, etched into the vinyl is "The Next Step is Discipline"...foreshadowing Kind Crimson getting back together.

ElJay370 likes this.
  11. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Some of their tours are much better than others. They were great in the double trio lineup, and their most recent shows have been incredible.

But the Construction of Light era show I saw was weak. That lineup (w/ Pat Mastellotto, IMO the least versatile drummer in KC’s history, as the only drummer) could not handle a wide variety of material and the show was much shorter than any other KC show I’ve seen. I can’t imagine any newbies walking away from those shows as converted fans.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I saw a solo concert with Robert Fripp on his Fripptronics system he stated that he had a version of 21st century , sung by none other than Brian ferry, he would never release it , I can imagine it sounding like Dracula singing all of petula Clarks favorite hits, :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

suthol and nojazzhere like this.
  13. nojazzhere

If you'd like a taste of the original drummer, check Youtube for 21st Century Schizoid Band. Ian MacDonald and Michael Giles (original KC) with others......recreating early KC and McD and Giles music.

14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

The Fripp/Bruford/Wetton/Cross era is my favorite King Crimson iteration.

I love the savage, harrowing journey this takes you on. Intense and at times maniacal...yet surgically precise.

And as far as the “drug music” reference goes....sorry if your closed-minded lack of imagination leads you to believe that any music that’s the slightest bit complex or demanding is only for navel gazing stoners.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  15. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

One gig was during the "Larks' Tongues in Aspic" era in the early 70s with Bruford and Wetton in the band. The other was in the early/mid 80s to support "Three of a Perfect Pair" with Belew, Levin and Bruford in the band.

suthol likes this.
  16. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I wish I could have seen them on those tours. If neither of those shows won you over then it’s just not for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.