Kind of NGD - Random Parts Partscaster Assembly

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Strebs, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I recently moved and ended up having to fit my office/studio into a small bedroom. My old house had a finished basement so I had lots of space. With less room, I've been making the tough decisions of which guitars to keep and which to sell since I just don't have the room for a lot of unused instruments. Now, I'm working on organizing and selling off parts and pedals.

When looking at my stuff, I had enough parts for a pretty nice Tele build. The one part that I purchased for this was a DiMarzio Fast Track T bridge pickup because I wanted to try one for a while.

I ended up with this.

IMG_20200916_161544.jpg

Sometimes things just come together well. It's a Mexican Deluxe Nashville body, a neck that I've had for a very long time named after my favorite old dog (RIP) that's been on and off of guitars over the years, an early 90's American Series neck pickup, Wilkinson compensated saddles and an ashtray bridge. The pickguard is for an American Elite and I chiseled out a rectangle under the spot that was there for a wheel so that I can use the StewMac truss rod tool on it without removing or lifting the neck up now.

I love, love, love this thing! The neck feels like an old friend and the Fast Track T pickup is really nice! The American Series pickup pairs well with the Fast Track.

This wasn't a planned build. Just a little bit of this and that from the parts bins. But this one's a keeper. I've been having a blast playing it!

garrett, d barham, Treynor and 12 others like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That looks very nice. Candy Apple Red? We need more pics!

Happy NPPcD!

Strebs likes this.
  3. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Thanks!

More pics as requested.

IMG_20200916_183440.jpg IMG_20200916_183512.jpg IMG_20200916_183611.jpg IMG_20200916_183540.jpg

I need to fill in the old tuner holes and I may try a mini humbucker neck pickup, but it's mostly finished at this point. I'll fix the small stuff at the next string change.

garrett and Flip G like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like that neck and tuners. What are the specs on it? Hard to tell, but looks like a vintage radius...maybe a fat or 60s C?

Strebs likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Very nice! Just think - that guitar was there all the time - you just had to assemble it!

Strebs likes this.
  6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Cool partscaster! nice job, and what good taste you have ;)

Strebs likes this.
  7. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

It's a vintage radius. It's not thin but it's not a baseball bat either. It's an old Allparts Japan neck.

The tuners are Hipshot locking tuners. They are Fender spec. I had to drill them for the 2 pegs. A jig would have been better, but I just clamped them down and then used the impressions to drill. Then used a fine file to make minor adjustments until they fit.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My skill is way less than just clamping something down and going for it.

9. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. Underneath the tuners isn't pretty. Aside from some oval-ish holes because I didn't drill very well, there are filled in holes from an earlier set of tuners. This is the third type of tuner that this neck has worn over the years. I'll fill in the empty holes from the vintage style at the next string change.

Recce likes this.
  10. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Very nice man. That’s a great put together of spare parts. Great looking Tele!

Strebs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.