Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for that post, Chris. Made sense to me.

And I got a chuckle out of it. You put words in my mouth ("that's what I saw and did, so that's what I telled"), but danged if they weren't just the kinda words I'd chose my own self! ;) :lol:

2. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

Look up the neurological disease EPM (equine protozoal myelitis) in horses. The opossum is the primary carrier of the disease.

Around my little ranch and horses, a 'possum lasts just long enough for me to find something to whack it with or put a hole(s) into it. They can be calmly marching across the pasture minding their own little 'possum business - doesn't matter. No sympathy for 'em. None.

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, I've already told you what my motivations were. I was indeed protecting my chickens, and was concerned for my wife's safety (she actually got to the coop first, and so was the first one to come face-to-face with the possum) and my own. If you're hell bent on rejecting what I outright tell ya and inventing instead a motivation of your own choosing, that's on you.

My choice of movies is being called into question now? Really? :eek: Well, okay...:rolleyes:

(StuR, I realize you probably said that facetiously, but hey, I like talking about my favorite movies/film genres. :D)

I was born on Veteran's Day (well, actually when it was still called Armistice Day), and so my preferences have always included war films: A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, Sands of Iwo Jima, Saving Private Ryan, Tour of Duty (a TV series about Viet Nam), We Were Soldiers, Black Hawk Down, etc.

And of course, Westerns/cowboy movies. Grew up on a lot of Roy Rogers movies that I still get a kick out of watching on occasion. Also, Jeremiah Johnson, Dances With Wolves, Open Range, True Grit (John Wayne) & (Jeff Bridges), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Tombstone, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, etc.

And then too are the crossovers, i.e., those films both about war and the West/cowboys: The Alamo (John Wayne) & (Dennis Quaid, Billy Bob Thornton), Glory, Cold Mountain, etc.

Okay, I may have hijacked my own thread, but hey, you started it! ;) :p

4. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

It did read a bit bit blood lusty - but when something is killing your chickens you can get that way.

We had chickens on the farm where I grew up. They lived in one of the stables that let out onto a public footpath. We gave them free run of the land outside. But that meant that sometimes they fell foul (or fowl!) of inconsiderate dog walkers - despite all the signs telling people to keep them on a leash.

Had to shoot two dogs - one after he tore up more than a dozen chickens.

But I didn't feel good about it - still feel guilty to this day. But in those situations you really have no choice.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Larry, I only want to contribute one more opinion...actually two. First opinion is I'm sorry you had to dispatch a opossum to protect your livestock. It happens and it doesn't always happen the way we want. My opinion is your story of the event was not in the least bit blood lust...it was just the way it happened.

Second opinion is regarding some of the brow beating, holier than thou responses. Calling you "sick" is lower than I ever could have imagined any of these fine gentlemen would sink to...

6. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

ok he's not sick. Just an over reaction I guess to a graphic description.
    Call me a softie.

T.

7. sneakyjapan

sneakyjapan Poster Extraordinaire

I sense.....this thread will be killed soon.....look away

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The force is strong in this one.

Attached Files:

9. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

killing an opossum happens from time to time

telling the story on the internet? You have to expect what has happened don't you? 128, 129 posts in 48 hours. Probably more time spent typing than it would take to go to town and buy another chicken easy.

Just sayin.......

10. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Yep, alot of things are best left off the internet. One day people will get that, until then.. well you get what you deserve

11. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah, Larry really deserved to be chided for protecting his livestock. This is the most pussified thread and a sad commentary on people's high-horse mentality and unbelievable ability to distance themselves from reality of life.

12. Tonemaster

Look whoz callin' the kettle black.:rolleyes:

T.

13. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

IBTL :lol:

14. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Sounds like a moral judgement to me.

15. Toto'sDad

This whole thread would be laughable if this thread could be moved back to a time before all the little kiddies who are aghast at killing a possum were reared sitting on the couch watching cartoons on TV about creatures who can talk and have human emotions. All the little feel good animal friends stuff.

I was standing by a well one time at school in Boles Arkansas talking to the guy who was the custodian at the school. He had a .22 rifle in his hand, he looked over at me and pointed to a little white kitty rubbing his feet and asked if I wanted the kitty. I knew better than to bring home something else that would eat, so I replied I didn't. He calmly dispatched the kitty with the .22, apparently the kitty had been milling around the school ground and since no one wanted it he had gone to the shed where he kept the tools, and gotten his rifle to do just what he did.

On the surface this would seem pretty heartless, but when you consider rabies was a big problem in the area, there were none of the rabies vaccination clinics that are common today, and there was no one to feed the kitty, the custodian did the humane thing. It did unsettle me that I didn't take the kitty and try to find it a home, but in a rural area, well things are just different.

I really can't see anything wrong with what Larry did given the circumstances. I would have no problem beating, shooting, pitchforking, baseball batting, or dynamiting it as Carl Spackler was won't to do with his adversary in Caddy Shack. Oddly enough, the same people who want Larry's hide, cheer for Carl.

16. Tonemaster

So,,,if you lost your job, couldn't pay your bills, and fell behind on your mortgage, ended up being a burden to society, canwe take you out back and bust a cap in your ass to??? Humanely of course!!

T.

17. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

The opossum needed killing plain and simple, how the OP got there doesn't matter.

18. Toto'sDad

You have so clearly and succinctly stated the silliness of the argument of those who take your position, I could not hope to improve upon it. The possum was not a U.S. citizen, not human, and does not occupy the same status as a human being. Sadly that is the difficult part for the couch perched little boys and girls who watch and interact with the cartoon network to separate from reality once they reach maturity.

Nice try though. I always enjoy the ingenuity of those who will construct a completely abstract scenario to try and bolster a weak argument. Kudos for the attempt to elevate the possum who was clearly a murderer and a thief to the same status as an innocent human being who has simply fallen on hard times. Lawyer much?

19. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

By the by, I'm killing a raccoon or two tonight. Unlike the OP who had to think on his feet, this is premeditated and I plan to trap and destroy the animals as quickly as possible.

I will take no pleasure in doing this but my family and dog's health and safety are at stake. They wash their food in the same water they urinate and defecate in, our pool. They carry fleas and ticks that carry Lyme disease. Of course, the can also spread rabies. The law says you have to kill them as humanely as possible. Where is that redline that defines "humanely as possible"?

Any suggestions on how I should finish them off once I have them trapped? It is unlawful in our state to transport them so relocation is out of the question. I can't discharge a firearm in my county so death by firing squad is out. I tried to asphyxiate them with carbon monoxide once already and they wriggled their way out of the trap.

At this point I'm thinking electrocution or drowning in a barrel. Sure, I could bangstick them with a blank charge but they won't hold still long enough to get the powerhead over their heart. Baseball bat to the head? They are to fast for that. Strangulation? Too dangerous for me.

Whats a poor suburban bound country boy to do? I think 'll stop at the local hardware and pick up a pitchfork.

20. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sad part is, you really didn't get the post.

So I'll tell ya all first grade like.

If you don't want people to get up in your business, stop posting your business on the internet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.