Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuR

StuR Banned

Damn that was a hell of a shot! Did they agree peacably to stand in a line for that?

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Randy and Mike, you're absolutely right...nothing like fresh eggs for breakfast. :D

Boy, the direction a few members have been wanting to take this thread sure has surprised me! :eek: I guess it shouldn't have, but it did. The judgmental, intolerant pronouncements made are not appreciated. But I'm not going to bother reporting them. Like I said before, if their comments persist in this judgmental vein, I'll just put them on my ignore list.

For those that have understood where I'm coming from and have made supportive and/or affirming statements, thank you. For the sake of clarifying for others, and hopefully keeping the peace, let me go on record about a few things.

When I told the story, I told the truth about an event that had just happened to me. I didn't ratchet up the gore in the telling; I just told the truth about what happened.

My prevailing emotion in the moment was fear. If you haven't been face-to-face with a wild possum just a foot away from you, with just a stick in your hands for protection, then you don't understand and you have no right to comment on this, much less pass judgment. I was afraid of getting bit and clawed, and I was afraid that my wife standing beside me would get hurt.

The design of our coop is two story, about 7' tall. The ground level gives our chickens entry into the coop after free ranging their run. They then climb the ladder to the second level, where they have access to their feed dispenser, the nesting boxes and their high roosts. There are double doors accessing this upper level, so that we can check the feeder, clean the coop and harvest eggs. Those double doors are directly in front of the nesting boxes.

When we came out that night, the possum had also made it's way into the second level of the coop. The hens flew up to the highest roosting point for safety. When we arrived the possum hid under the nesting boxes, the sight we were greeted with when we opened the double doors. The varmit's only way out was straight through us.

So our choices were:

1) to back away and let the possum escape, hoping he wouldn't first try to take another one of our chickens before leaving;

2) trying to coax/prod him out, hoping not to get hurt in the process;

3) or dispatch him.

The safest, wisest choice was the latter. If I were in the very same situation again, I would do the same thing, with a clear conscience.

This stuff is not new to me. I've lived most of my adult life in the city of Corpus Christi, but I grew up on our family farm. We had milk cows, a smoke house, bee hives, 3 chicken houses, a garden and a peach orchard, and pecan trees rimming our 210 acres. (I loved that experience, that lifestyle. My Mom and younger brother still live on the farm, and to this day I think of myself as a displaced, long-haired country boy. :rolleyes:) So I grew up setting traps for possums and 'coons, and hunting them with my Granddad.

Back to the present. When I was killing the possum, yes, adrenalin was pumping, and I was angry, but again I was also scared. When we first encountered him, all we had was my walking stick. And I've had enough experience with them to know that if you corner one you can get hurt. It's him or you at that point. I just wasn't going to risk possible injury and pain and disease (for my wife or myself) for the sake of a possum.

So after poking at the possum with my stick to no good outcome, I sent my wife to get a hoe or something. She came back with the pitchfork, which was even better. As I said before, under the right circumstances on our family farm I would have preferred to shoot it and have done with it. But since this incident occurred within the city limits of Corpus Christi, Texas, I didn't have that option. So I did what I had to do. Since the facts are evidently too gory for some, I won't re-tell the rest of the story. Suffice it to say I did what I had to do, and I would do it again.

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm pretty sure that by weight, I have killed and butchered more animals than anyone on this board, probably all of you combined, but never with malice, fear or anger in my heart or mind. I have no problem with killing animals I have said previous in this thread and I don't think Larry G. is a "bad person" , I just don't like the choice he made, I have Opossums on my property all the time, I helped my neighbors build their coop to withstand any predator and so far, against all odds, all their chicks survived and are full grown chickens. I don't find opossums or raccoons particularly fearsome or hard to outsmart, maybe we have polite country critters here.

Anyway, it's too bad that people get their feelings hurt in these type of threads and others are made to feel they can't say what is on their mind for fear of hurting feelings.

If we were sitting around BS-ing after work and this story was told, my reaction would be the same and I would speak my mind and see ya tomorrow at work, no hard feelings. I might even crack a few jokes that would no doubt be taken the wrong way here.

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Umm, yeah, I should've worded that differently.

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Ok enough about people who like to hurt and kill animals
    Time to repopulate the ignore list

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

If you need to get crazy, you need a Rodinator Pro. Just think about pipes, cables and ground wire first. Plus the varmint genocide thing...

7. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

LG, you obviously "feel something" but what it is, I dunno, else you wouldn't of felt the need to re-tell the storey, minus the gore. If you feel vindicated, so be it. I aint offended, and I don't harbour any ill will towards you.

Ignore lists however,,hmm,,,I feel those are for folks who can't discuss rationally, or folks who can't afford therapy.

T.

8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, Bones, so if we're sitting around BS-ing after work and I tell this story, and you then respond to me the way you have in this thread and in your latest post, I would say to you that you are not qualified to pass judgment on the choice I made or about what my motives were, and that it is arrogant of you to persist in doing so.

And as for your saying "I have no problem with killing animals [as?] I have said previous in this thread...", I would point out that you said no such thing before your latest post (#103).

Well, you better not be offended, because you have no right to be. I did not insult or snub or slight you personally in any way. I, on the other hand, have every right to be offended at you. You're the one that call me "sick," after all.

9. Bones

My first two posts say as much...
    Clearly, I'm not saying you shouldn't have killed it. I wouldn't have but you made a different choice and that's fine.

You provided the facts on which I based my OPINION, being able to read your story makes me qualified to have an opinion on it. Having seen real live Opossums on my property, makes me qualified to have an opinion on them. You don't have to agree with that opinion and I don't hold it against you as a fellow human being if don't.

When you post something as graphic as you did, you have to be expecting some sort of reaction other than a universal "attaboy". When I have posted positive stories about saving some animal's life, people complain about it by saying things like "what's the matter, no sick kids in your area that need help??" No matter what you post here, someone is always going to have a contrary opinion about it, you gotta learn to roll with it. I don't recall ever having any interaction with you here before and I'm a little baffled by why you are taking my comments so hard.

Best of luck with your chickens, I hope you get a lot of eggs out of them.

10. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Possums are always controversial. They should have their own sub-forum.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah.

And as everyone knows, possums are born dead in the road. So I don't see what all the excitement is about.

If only George were still here; I'm sure he could get this sorted out.

12. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

13. Bones

I wish I could find the video of the Opossum that my dog spook 'dead" and then his resurection, it was quite funny how slowly he got up and sort of melted away into the bushes. When he "dropped dead", he even had flies circling his "corpse" really quite a brilliant little defense.

BTW, Opossums are not rodents and are nothing like rats. They are not major carriers of disease and only live a natural life of about four years. I prefer to cut slack to any such creature that gets such a short hand to play.

14. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

"That's the thing about possum innards. They's just as good the second day" - Jed Clampett

15. StuR

StuR Banned

Quite right ......... there should be a tagged thread to that effect at the top of the forum and at the foot to make it clear and ........... wait ............ oh.... :oops:

16. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

yeah, i admit i have strong feelings about things, yet the problem with opinions is everyone has their own and they don't need mine, here's a song instead

i prefer own opinions not someone else's

17. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Having read through this whole car crash of a thread, it is evident that this is a "parallel culture episode", let me expand briefly, if I may:

I happen to know that Larry is a sweet natured guitar loving family man, but even I, a veteran of 3 combat zones, read the OP and went " eeww, Larry!".

Then I got me to thinking about the apparent contradiction. He's Texas farm born and raised, his graphic description of the "encounter" was probably as matter of fact as "an unusual thing happened when I was washing the car" to most non-farm folks.

In this case, familiarity with a circumstance doesn't bring contempt for life or joy in the act, but an eyebrow raised at a slightly unusual set of circumstances, and the story told in a country " that's what I saw and did, so that's what I telled" type of way.

This place is richer for the diversity and tolerance that thrives here (and is indeed positively encouraged by Paul and the Mods [ Not the Jam]).

Opinion and comment is fine in my view, judgment and condemnation of a person based on the evidence of a single post discredits the self appointed Judge. I hope that made sense.

18. StuR

StuR Banned

Not entirely, you only added your opinion, but sometimes when all the opinions have been given out it's still up to the opinions of 12 people to decide what a judge tells the accused happened or not - regardless of what the accused says they meant to say or do.
    Personally I'm in the - it sounded more like blood-lust and enjoyment the way it was told camp - rather than protecting anything or anyone. Maybe he's just watched too many bad films?

19. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, added my opinion ... Judge or Jury here.

20. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.