Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I prefer both of 'em to raccoons.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I can understand you're having good luck, just as I understand that my makeup would not allow me to intentionally harm anything without good, make that very good reason. I attribute the many animals that I have dispatched by automobile, just bad luck plain and simple. We have no disagreement, that I know of.

3. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

I have my coop secured and locked- all hardware cloth. Always.
    I heard a noise at around midnight, grabbed my gun and found 4 coons doing their darndest to break in. In less than a minute all 4 were dead- 1 shot, between the eyes. For whatever reason, they were there and being they were after my chickens, the coons had to go.

4. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Trap them, shoot them, eat them, put them out of their misery. Pests in most parts of the populated country. Careful to consult your local authorities.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And THIS is why I think that raccoons are much, much worse than possums. Raccoons are fearless, even while you were shooting the first one the other three probably stood their ground. Possums will get the heck out of there if they have the opportunity.

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

We were just looking for feathers for our pillows....

[​IMG]

7. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Coons are real cute until someone gets their finger bit off lol.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

"Hubba-Hubba No Racoon!"

9. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

He seemed to be relishing the telling of how he offed the poor thing, not leaving out any gory details. I will give a moral judgement here Bones. Sick...the man is just just sick.

T.

10. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Oh no! ;) You mean, you didn't arrest them and give them a chance to explain their actions in their own defense? Geez, it was only their first offence and they were only doing what raccoons do. Man, that's just too much reality for me!:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. cleanman

cleanman Tele-Holic

If we have not yet learned to be humane to humans why that expectation concerning animals? We humans roll the dice and take our chances every day, so did the possum. It is the way of nature which we humans are part of whether we want to be or not.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cute. And a lot of the raccoons do seem to know how to co-exist, to find what they need and stay out of the way. Whilst others are rogues. I think a lot of raccoons are heavily habituated; others are not.

T., you're being played. Folks that have to do the dirty work frankly sometimes get tired of the pie-in-the-sky, no blood on my hands, ivory tower existence more and more people live. I meet more and more people who have never even bought and cut up a whole chicken from the market. Not to mention, have not butchered their own live chicken. But the truth is, this stuff happens and is going to have to keep happening whether you disavow it or not.

With all due respect, you probably need to be "grossed out" more often - I think it would be good for you. :)

13. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

As I squeezed the trigger the last time, I thought I heard one of them screaming "hey, we were just turning our lives around".

14. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

This is the best statement so far. My daughter is in FFA, and the livestock she raises goes to market. Does she get attached to the animals? Yes. Does she know that it is livestock, and not pets? Yes. And someone has to keep the feral hogs away (somehow) from the Hamps and yorks. She knows that. Someone has to do the job. As much as people want to believe, food does not come from Publix (or Kroger, Albertsons, Wegmans, Acme, etc).

And if you have never had home raised eggs, you are missing something!

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

+1
    Nothing like fresh eggs and bacon in the morning!

16. boris bubbanov

Someone asked me, if the reason I gave up eating beef and pork, was because I could not bring myself to slaughter such animals personally, and I gotta be honest. That's not in the top five of reasons, best I can say. But it does make me wonder, why people are so comfortable eating red meat but they strongly disapprove of the killing of animals to accomplish this end?

I'm a voracious consumer of turkey, but I think it would be hard for me personally to do the killing and the dressing and preparation of the recently live turkey I got to observe in living form. But at least on one level, I have an obligation to do so or I am basically disqualified from passing judgment on any of the actions of the people who have these responsibilities - the people who have to dispatch the cultivated animal and who have to dispatch predators and pests of this creature.

17. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

This was a pleasant response.

To the OP I am sorry you had to kill the possum like that, I am sure a quicker kill would have been less stressful, but I am glad you were able to save your chickens. if you did enjoy the kill, then kudos for being fearless.

18. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Bro, I'm not grossed out, and don't get that easily. What disgusts me is the pleasure he seemed to get out of describing the heartless way he dispatched the poor critter. But, each to his own I guess. Decorum is in short suplly these days.

T.

19. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Any excuse is a good excuse!

Right!

20. boris bubbanov

I just meant, I felt he turned up the gore to make his point at someone else's expense. I'm pretty sure this is showmanship we're seeing here, not a man's heart.

But having said that, one of the curses of living in New Orleans is large cockroaches, always trying to invade our space and basically with us 365 days a year. I've seen roaches killed with great vigor, with much malice intended. These are living creatures too, and sometimes between humans and roaches it does seem like a fight to the death. I'm pretty sure that psychological warfare does not work on roaches. You can't torture one, and thus convince others to flee but anyone who has lived in New Orleans can tell you, many are the instances when great overkill is used to kill a single one of these varmints.

The only other thing I can suggest is, excessive means to kill varmints is one guy's way of convincing himself he's winning the battle against whichever pest he's up against. You can't really give up; you gotta pump yourself up any way you can to stay engaged, sometimes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.