Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

As far as I am concerned, I have been mostly lucky in this regard, it's certainly understandable to a degree how it happens on a regular basis. A guy I work with had a big buck ram right into the side of his truck while he was going 60 miles an hour. How do you prevent that? Just poor timing on the part of the buck.

2. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

If you're going to try logic then you must also consider that if the owner of the chickens killed one to eat he would be guilty of the same crime.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Retracted

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You don't eat layers. ;)

5. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I had to kill a raccoon that was after my chickens. I found the time to get my 1911. :cool:

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

i think he said the life of a chicken is equal to the life of a chicken

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I sit and watch 3 or 4 of them walk across my yard every night on their way to the all you can eat buffet at my bird feeder.

I have been sorely tempted to go out there, grab one by the tail and invent "Possum Tossing."

This could be the latest new Olympic sport!

8. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I don't have any problem finding the 1.5 seconds it takes to reach behind my right hip.

9. Frodebro

Possums are just giant rats, anyway. We wouldn't even be discussing this if Larry speared a rat, would we?

10. Frodebro

Be careful if you're going to try that. They don't play dead when they're cornered, they get pretty vicious. And they carry diseases. Better to just pop a cap in their azzes.

11. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Yep. :cool:

12. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

Larry, I'm not surprised that you've had a possum visitation. Those rascals can be found in most parts of town.
    At our previous home, had a number of possums in the back yard. One in particular was large and nasty, as several posters have pointed out. I "encouraged" him to leave with a sharp hoe; unfortunately for him, he chose to go into the yard that was home to Toby, a full-grown German Shepherd. Couple of sharp barks, and no more possum. By the way, Toby was one of the gentlest, sweetest dogs around people; he just had no love for possums.

13. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I was recently charged and taken to court over the killing and eating of an Echidna.

The police arrived at my property saying they had been alerted by neighbours that I was seen butchering an Echidna in my back yard. I cooperated with the police and showed them the remains of the animal and the pot of stew I had prepared from the meat. The police seized that as evidence and a few weeks later I appeared in court.

At the hearing I advised the magistrate that I had not killed the Echidna; I had seen the animal struck by another car and had stopped to render assistance but the creature was already dead. After that I agreed that all the Police information was correct. I had taken the dead Echidna home, butchered it and cooked it and I did that because my father and mother had raised me on the principle of "Waste not..Want not".

Thankfully the Magistrate accepted my testimony and the charge was dismissed. She was a bit curious about the stew however and asked what it tasted like. I told her it was a bit like a cross between a Koala and a Fairy Penguin.

14. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

I never knew possum were meat eaters. Now I understand why you couldn't shoot him in city limits. A bit graphic, but life can be graphic.
    We only ever had a mink killing our birds (dad shot it thru the head with a '22'). When it wasn't the mink it was our own dumb dogs. Free range chickens do not live a sheltered life.

15. Frodebro

They're omnivores. Before I upgraded the fencing around my coop, they would get into the hen house and eat any eggs that were in the nests (which were close to the ground, the birds roosted high enough that the possums couldn't reach them). The real problem with this is that if any of the hens found a broken egg, they would sample it and could turn into egg-eaters, which is a very bad thing. Then the hen has to go as well.

16. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

You're right... I didn't read it right. Or maybe I read into too much.

Either way, I think I'm gonna back out of this thread. I can't really tell who is being serious, and who is being sarcastic, and who is just trying to be a mini-troll. I'm not accusing anyone of any of that - I'm just saying, I think I'm taking people the wrong way. And it ain't worth getting worked up over a possum.

:D

17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against hunting in any way. Was just equating the possum hunting for his dinner to a person hunting deer. If the possum was "guilty" of killing a chicken in an unsecured pen, so is a hunter, unless he breaks into a zoo and hunts deer there. Of course, the possum didn't break in, and even if he did, he doesn't know that's wrong. Folks have to just make sure they can't get in AND close the doors.

I'm not really saying the OP did anything wrong, but I may have tried to shoo the possum off with a stick or hose, and just take the lost chickens as a lesson learned to ALWAYS secure the coop.

18. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

You're only saying that because you read what I wrote ;)

19. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I actually prefer rats to possums. :D

20. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I do enjoy a good spanikopita now and then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.