Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yup, that's it.

I did not go out to the coop last night expecting to find a possum in there. Yeah, I forgot to lock up the hens before we went out for the evening. That mistake didn't cause me to have any fuzzy feelings for the varmit, it didn't make my killing it wrong. When I got home and discovered the situation, I had to do pretty much what I did.

If I had just backed away and left the possum in the coop, he wouldn't have peacefully exited, never to return. He would have taken another one of my hens and returned for more later.

I've had enough experience with possums to know about their teeth, their growling and hissing. They're mean cusses, and the varmit last night was displaying all of that. For my own protection, for my wife's, for the protection of our hens, I had to dispatch that nasty critter. If this had happened on our farm, I might have had the option to shoot the varmit. Since it happened here within the city limits, I did what I had to do with the tools available to me. No remorse about it, either. Slept very well last night, thank you.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

If you're going this route with logic... :confused:;)

Wouldn't the possum also be guilty of killing the chicken?

He wasn't put to death for simply crossing over a fence. If he had crossed the fence line, sniffed around, then retreated... he would still be alive today.

But he crossed the line, killed a chicken, then left. Then came back to do it again. That's what got him kilt.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Possum was just doing what possums do, getting dinner from an unsecured area.

He's noless guilty than a hunter who shoots a deer for meat.

4. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

No disagreement there - there is no "guilt" to assign to the possum.

Now answer me this - Why not?

Your response of "Possum was just doing what possums do" is accurate - he is simply following instinct, not a moral code.

The possum was not killed out of revenge, or spite, or even justice (none of which apply). He was killed in order to protect livestock. The method employed is mostly irrelevant, unless the OP had indicated some level of maniacal pleasure from the act... which he did not.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This woman does not share your opinion, and is HUNGRY for venison!

Attached Files:

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now, how do we know this is the same opossum?

He could be innocent. Maybe he was there to try and protect the remaining chickens from his murderous cousin.

It was all a misunderstanding, I tell ya! :D

And now he's gone. His children will never have a father, and they drop out of school and get into selling drugs. What a tragedy.

7. Toto'sDad

Did someone say REALLY dead possum? I'm up for some possum!

Attached Files:

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now, you're making me nervous.

The City Folk in their built up, highly regimented places, are looking for excuses to outlaw hunting. They'll turn your logic back on you, and offer this as reason to outlaw deer hunting.

At some point, Those Who Hunt Chickens = Bad, and Those Who Hunt Deer = Good. As I hike all over the place in Fairfax and Loudoun, pretty obvious to me the chickens are in check and the whitetails definitely are not.

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure what roadkill has to do with the OP. I have been driving for over 30 years including several trips from NOLA to Venice, I have never run over an animal or crashed trying to miss one. Maybe you have never seen any of my photos, but there's plenty of critters here on the roads. Some big, some small, some fast, some flat ;)

10. Toto'sDad

I have run over about everything the walks or crawls including a huge snake over eight feet long by actual measurement, one night coming home from the mountains. I thought at first I had run over a piece of wood, but upon stopping found a huge snake doubled in half and unable to move properly. I will comment no further on the action I took. I did ponder the forces of the universe that would place us in the exact same place and time in view of how old the snake must have been and the number of times it must have escaped calamity.

I also managed to have a full grown cow jump from a gully into my path while I was driving a 4 wheel drive vehicle in the mountains years ago with a brush buster on the front which caught the cow squarely in the head and immediately dispatched it to the happy dairy farm in the sky. It was 1 o'clock in the morning, 40 miles (literally) from no where, I was left to ponder what to do, so in the absence of a better plan, I bid the cow ado and went on my way. Since it was the word of a cow against mine, and no witnesses to support either of our stories, I thought discretion the better course of action and left the cow to make it's peace with whatever power that cows put their trust in.

The point is for everyone like Bones who has managed to not injure or kill an animal there are probably an equal amount of people like me who without malice or forethought, nor ill intentions have littered the here after with dead animals, not through carelessness but by the design of nature. Dogs are especially painful for me when I happen to hit one, since I have owned a dog all of my life (not the same one, for those of you who wait to pounce on such statements, and you know who you are) and consider most of them to be good friends.

11. BruceF

BruceF Tele-Meister

12. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

I'm guessing you never lived on a farm...

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had about 14 layers when I lived in a rural area. Their coop was about 15'x30', with an 8x10 house at one end of it. We had possums, raccoons, coyotes, mountain lions, and elk regularly cruising through, so the coop was fortified like a prison camp.

I only had to dispatch of a couple critters, one of them being a raccoon that was about 25lbs or so, big and MEAN. When I tried to shoo him off he just sat up and started hissing at me, so a firearm came into play there. In the morning there wasn't a trace left of the carcass, so the coyotes got a free meal out of it.

14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

So, you started this thread about skewering a possum to be funny?

15. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

[​IMG]

16. StuR

StuR Banned

There was at least a hint of that IMHO in the OP - the actual killing part read like a bad pulp fiction book.

17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Funny!

18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

+1

19. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

There was a two-person (I think) band in (I think) the San Francisco bay area that had a breakup song called Dead 'Possum. Something about "Dead 'possum, lyin' in my street; now he's just road meat. Dead 'possum, dead as dead can be; just as dead as you are to me." Pretty good song, and I had a recording of it at one time but I can't find it.

Wish I could remember the name of the band. If I recall correctly one of the guys posted on the old Amorica board as Goldtopper, or maybe just Goldtop. Unsure if he's any relation to the one here.

20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

guess again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.