Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah! Then you can pen it, feed it out and have Stew! ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

I can only think of a few thing WORSE than smelling possum stew (except it's taste:rolleyes:)...when Parvo Virus first appeared around the Los Angeles area and I was working as a Vet Tech springs to mind though, we had several in the intensive care ward for a looong time...yuk. This was a scene MADE for a .410 shotgun. Thompson Contender, while pricey, makes a beauty of a pistol that handles .410 and .45 Long Colt a double-duty pistol, you can also obtain additional barrels and a stock if you want. Sort of a 'Tele' of the pistol world

3. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

In reading your reply, would it be fair to say that you haven't kept "prey" animals such as chickens for their meat or eggs?
    It may seem a foreign or brutal way to deal with a situation for you, but when rooting around in the dark, trying to protect your livestock, there is no time/opportunity for a last meal and lethal injection.

As mentioned in the story, the Possom would bite the head off and gut the chicken. This is animals. This is what they do. We're not far off....though we like to think we are.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the possum should have had a trial by a jury of his peers...
    :rolleyes:

5. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

+1

6. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

Not a Possum song but it makes me chuckle anyhow...

DW

7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Tales from the other side, and one Mr. O'possum. A reaction perhaps more suitable to some of our, let us say, more humane members. Just up ahead, the twilight zone awaits us.

8. Toto'sDad

Of course, an alternative solution should always be offered. Another approach to the problem of. What to do with Mr. O'possum?

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

You are arguing against a position that i did not take. If the OP feels he needs to kill the opossum to compensate for not securing his property, that's his business my objection which is a moot point after the fact,is with method.

Also I think it is a rather jarring account to read first thing in the morning.

Hell, I have gotten complaints for being too graphic in my descriptions of trying to save animals.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Tip from a local farmer who keeps his chickens in a big old barn at night. Make a nightly patrol with your top dog around the yard before locking up. Get the dog to pee on all four corners of the chicken barn and its entrances.

We don't have opossums but foxes won't go near the place, he never loses chickens. I'm guessing opossums will steer clear of predators too.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And I ran over and killed 2 possums in the night in April because I was tired and thought a short cut through a remote, heavily wooded area was a good idea.

All this morality stuff, confuses me. Seems probable to me, you don't travel across open areas of the US. Roadkill possums are just everywhere, hundreds and hundreds of them. And squirrels in the thousands and thousands.

Why had I not woahed up real hard 6-7 times on the C + O Canal bike route out near Violette yesterday, I'd surely have run over and killed a couple of squirrels. They're just as dead either way; what exactly is the distinction? Should I throw my bike in the dumpster?

Ten days ago before dawn I left The Cabin and hadn't gone a half mile in the car, when I had to back up to go around a possum parked in the middle of the road. Do you think my neighbors could be bothered to do that?

12. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Death can be messy sometimes.

That's life.

13. Toto'sDad

MY wife was a driver of limited experience when we married, I taught her to NEVER swerve or attempt to miss in any way a critter she encountered on the road while she was driving, unless it was an elephant, cow, horse or something similar in size and weight. I taught my kids to do the same when they began driving an auto. Animals are at least a step down from humans, even the risk of the loss of human life is not worth trying to avoid running over an animal. Well, allowances should be made if the animal were Eric Burdon, but that's unlikely to say the least.

14. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

There was an opossum in my front yard one time that my dog was barking madly at. Then it just appeared to die right on the spot and my dog lost interest. When I went back and checked, it was gone. It was like it was playing possum or something.

15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

There are some amusing posts in this thread. Some of them were intended to be humorous (successfully, I might add), others not. One post was from a brit already on my ignore list, several other posts from a guy that may end up there as well, depending on where things go from here. Sometimes the best way to avoid a conflict is to just consider the source and ignore it. Which I suppose is why this forum's Ignore List feature was created in the first place.

I didn't post this thread because I was looking for a fight. Opinions contrary to mine have been expressed, and that's fine. This is of course a discussion forum. But beyond a certain point, I just can't be bothered.

16. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Ahh wouldn't it be better to pay reeaalllllyyyy close attention to the road? I mean, if we're going with the "ounce of prevention better than a pound of cure" principle, isn't it better to nip it at the first pothole? You'll never know, actually running over the poor critter might cause an even bigger accident.

17. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I grew up on a big farm/ranch. If you didn't eradicate the predators, they will eradicate your herd. You did what you had to do. Being humane is not always an option.

We swat flies, stomp spiders, spray wasps, poison rats, wash away germs, etc. How do we know those killings are humane?

18. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Well you say that, but it is Eric Burdon you are talking about :cool:

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:confused:

Paying strict attention is a given. Since cars need time to stop, every driver in the rural USA at some time or another will be put into a situation where they have to choose - hit the woodchuck or hit the mailbox or go into the ditch. IMO, it doesn't matter who the driver is, he or she WILL have to make these choices and I think TD's advice is excellent.

I'd go a step further and say, avoiding even really large animals, you need to think twice about how much swerving you wanna do. My general impression from driving is, even big animals sometimes move in time and they're just as liable to move into your new path as to keep the one you were supposed to be on. And, just based on all the anecdotes of my years' of driving, people who left the road instead of hitting even big animals did really badly.

The question remains: Is your home turf (and Bones' turf) so highly refined and sophisticated that messy road impacts with critters is no longer a serious issue. Most places I drive, we're not there. I'm not sure I wanna live where there are no such critters. I saw a really large otter, standing tall right along the Clara Barton just outside of DC yesterday - I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of him for ya'll.

20. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Maybe the possum was asleep in possum school and didn't learn our laws or about what a fence is? I know ignorance of the law is not excuse, but the death penalty for a first offense? Also, could be that the possum grocery store was closed or the meat dept ran out of chicken?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.