Killed a possum tonight...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My wife and I have chickens. We closed in a 40' x 7' run for them on the back of our property, and they free range over that stretch. 4 hens giving us 3-4 eggs a day.

Well, 4 hens until this past weekend. While I was back on the farm visiting family, a possum got our youngest hen (she had just started laying). I shoulda known better than to not lock up the coop at night. We were sure it was a possum, killed our hen in characteristic style (bit off the head then gutted her).

Well, this evening we got out with some friends, and realized too late that we'd forgotten to lock the hens up in the coop. We got home a little after 9pm, and went straight out to lock up the hens. The varmit was already in the coop. The 3 remaining hens were all perched high atop the highest branch of their roost. The possum tried to hide from us underneath the nest boxes.

I held him at bay with my walking stick, and told my wife to go get me a hoe or a spade. She came back with our 4-pronged pitchfork. Even better. I stabbed him with it. When I tried to drag him out from under the nest boxes, I could feel the prongs coming out of his body, so I got him just enough clear of the boxes to be able to beat him over the head with my stick until blood was flowing from his mouth and the top of his skull. Then I got him to the ground and re-positioned the pitchfork so that I could run all four prongs clear through his body. Pretty sure after that he wasn't just "playin' possum."

So we are down one hen, and the others are pretty freaked out, but the nasty culprit has been dispatched to Mount Trashmore. Funny, I grew up with this kind of thing on our family farm. At one time we had 3 hen houses, so we were always setting traps for and shooting possums. This isn't the first time I've killed a possum within the city limits of Corpus Christi, but it's the first time I've done so in the city over the chickens vs. possums battle.

2. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...grisly account...

...and effective use of available tools...

...side note: sounds like a great story song...ya' got the title,or at least the first line...

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmm...a song about a grisly account of killing a possum...I would think it would have to be a Country song.

Oddly enough, if I were to go with this idea, it would not be the first song about possums in my repertoire...

4. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Your story is better than mine. I caught a possum in my coop once and thought I was gonna shoot him. My sister was with me that night and had her .25 caliber 2 shot pistol in her purse. She handed me the pistol and I tried shooting him from less than a foot away and missed twice due to the pistol having a ridiculously strong trigger spring. That thing is good for nothing but a gut gun. The only thing that bit the dust was my hearing. All I could hear was one steady tone arg! After destroying my hearing for the week, I went and got the shovel and brought the pain to that stupid marsupial. We lost 5 chickens (easter eggers) that night because the possum had knocked over the nesting box they were sleeping in as it wasn't properly fastened to the wall. What a sucky night that was.

5. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Chicken wire: Just Say NO
    Hardware Cloth = Yes

:lol:

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

your possums eat your chooks, eh?.... no shiite?...

possums over here eat fruit mostly....

dogs, foxes and pythons are the chooks worst enemy around here..;)

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

And not one of 'em native. :neutral:

8. trev333

I guess the chooks aren't native either..;) .....

9. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

I had coyote or fox take 5 ducks this summer. There are no more ducks in the pond. They were named ducks. She was not happy. I was hoping that when the first female disappeared, she was just sitting on an egg somewhere. Once the male was gone, I knew that wasn't the case.

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I think this is a horribly cruel way to kill a wild animal that took advantage of YOUR mistake. YOU left the hens unprotected and the Opossum did what comes natural. My belief is that if you are going dispatch any animal, you should do it in the most humane and expedient manner possible and that the animal should be eaten. This sounds like a killing done out of pure anger over your own mistake.

Just my opinion on the facts as presented and not meant to be taken as any sort of moral judgement, this event is just contrary to my way of dealing with things.

11. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I would prefer to dispatch one in a quicker and more humane manner myself, but you wouldn't; or at least I wouldn't, wanna eat one that was killed straight outta' action... :lol:

You really want to trap and feed out one o' them suckers... ;)

12. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

+1.

Although it does sound like the OP didn't have a choice so he just reacted in a manner that was natural to him. I just hope there wasn't any ill intent or personal sense of vindication when the act was carried out.

Maybe keeping a dog on the premises would help?

13. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

14. ApolloMike

ApolloMike Tele-Holic

I am gonna say the possum trespassed. There was a fence, and it crossed the fence line. The possum was a burglar, and there was fear of imminent harm being done to the flock by said possum. Justified.

And isn't being pulled apart by a possum a cruel way to die also?

15. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

You killed George Jones?

16. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

An Opossum doesn't have the intellectual power to understand the fence/gate boundary other than it being an impediment to him getting to the food left in its environment . Also by virtue of limited intellect and available options, the manner of killing cannot be considered cruel IMHO.

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe the possum thought you were trespassing on his territory, he was just trying to eat to survive. That being said I would do what is necessary to defend my animals, in as human a way as possible, trapping and relocating being the preferred way.

18. trev333

Ignorance of the Law is no defense, they say...;)

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Unarmed combat is the only fair way to solve a dispute like this: mano a pata.

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Larry, I agree with what you did- you do what you need to do when you are protecting your own property. My house is surrounded by trees so I dispatch squirrels regularly- I don't want one in my attic chewing up my wires, etc.
    I also just live-trapped a possum at my daughter's house (it was making a home under the concrete porch foundation) and only let it go a few miles away because she and my grandson wanted it to live. However, if it comes back, it'll be a done deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.