Kidz Bop … why?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
There are millions of parents with no strong musical preference who think their kids will like that more than the original.

I made a deal with my kids that they could listen to WHATEVER they choose even in my car. They can pick. It was tough sometimes but now it’s paid off. My daughter discovered Kate Bush and it rekindled her interest in singing. My son who is in high school but is dialed into the regional rapper community and earns a side hustle as a rap photographer and stylist asked me if I knew about Courtney Barnett. Win and win. There is nothing better than the joy of music. Let your kids experience making those choices.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
I stumbled onto Kill Bill Vol 1 on TV NYE and let it play a while.
The rapist who paid $75 for access to the coma ward was left in, but the guy who was selling access and had that custom painted pickup?
His key fob and the back of his truck was changed to "Party" Wagon in every scene because "P-$$y" was too vulgar for Kill Bill?

At the beginning, Bill talking over her bloody face then shooting her in the head was deemed OK.
Bit of a mystery!

Seems like the biggest fear is Mom & Dad being embarrassed by little Junior saying a phrase, and not as much a worry of really creepy content?
Kill Bill has tons of pretty awful stuff for a little kid to see, and the alternate name for cat placed before wagon is just too damn benign to make much sense to me.

Killing, torturing, and sex.
Pick the worst one?
Your making too much sense

meadwill

TDPRI Member
My daughter likes Kidz Bop because her preschool turned her onto it. But the CDs she listens to at home are Black Keys, Tom Petty, The Beatles and Neil Young. Her first band t-shirts were Tom Petty and Neil Young. She will request Kidz Bop every once in a while. But I also require other music be listened to as well (in a non snobby way) so we listen to musicals and Disney Movie soundtracks (same thing as Musicals IMO) and I play jazz artists when I cook dinner.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
I’ve never met anyone that actually enjoys and cares for music, play Kidz Bop for their children. You say they are non musicians. They are likely non music lovers that don’t understand they are feeding their children empty musical calories.

It has a place. As a DJ, it is the safest bet at children’s events. You know you can play it, and it won’t be ruffling any parent’s feathers. It’s harder than it sounds to put together an appropriate, fun (for kids) and relevant playlist. Kidz bop makes it simpler.

Very few songs that are on the radio will pass at these events, even edited they’re still filthy.

For my kids, nah, never gonna play kidz bop. Never have.

but for kids events, playplaces, etc. it earns its keep. It’s schlock, total trash. but so is most kids stuff.

I’ve got more tolerance for that kinda stuff, than I did before I was a parent.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
For some reason, when I saw the thread title... I thought we were talking about this..
I defy you to watch it, and not want to ram screwdrivers into your eardrums.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
How is it any different than our parents putting on Disney kids or Hanna Montana cds? It's the new Mickey Mouse Club.
Neeeeexxxt......

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
So, Muzak for the prepubers?

You've obviously never heard the children's records I had in the late '60s and early '70s. Than I discovered KISS and that led to led zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Stones, AC-DC, Ted Nugent, Neil Young and all the other stuff that eventually turned around on itself and lead back, way back. The Blues, Rockabilly, traditional Folk and Bluegrass, protest Folk, old Country, Jazz and R&B.

It all comes out in the end. Then we die.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Whatever. I guess I’m on shaky ground as usual. I played the hell out of this record when I was 9. I knew none of it was punk in the slightest. But I didn’t care. I just loved hearing chipmunk voices do Blondie and Cars, etc… Fast forward to just now and I can’t get through the first chorus. Physical and mental cringe.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Speaking of…. It was a revelation that fateful day in my childhood when my sister and I inadvertently discovered how to make our voices do Chipmunk-style on tape. All it took was our tape recorder’s batteries to deplete. The world changes once you peek behind the Wizard’s curtain, amirite.

Last edited:

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
Whatever. I guess I’m on shaky ground as usual. I played the hell out of this record when I was 9. I knew none of it was punk in the slightest. But I didn’t care. I just loved hearing chipmunk voices do Blondie and Cars, etc… Fast forward to just now and I can’t get through the first chorus. Physical and mental cringe.

I find that album much easier to enjoy this way: