Kids’ first electric- scale question

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ifallalot, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would string the mini strat with 10's or 11's for a young beginner. It should be fine for staying in tune, the one I played a few months back was the latest version and had decent enough tuners on it and they are hardtails.
    I would put 13's on it for myself mainly to closer match the feel of bends to my tele fitted with 10's or 11's.
    The shorter scale makes them easier to bend on and play, perfect for a 9yo.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    blille likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I'm just offering advice based on my own experience of teaching my own kids and grandkids to play, using short scale guitars.

blille likes this.
  3. znanjeiimanje

znanjeiimanje TDPRI Member

My kid is right now 6 months old and as most of the people here, i think it would be him realizing all my dreams if i saw him with a Strat beating off at a blues gig :)

nevertheless, I realized how much it would have meant to me if I was given the same, so I have decided that he should get a Strat with his year of birth 2019 to be stored and given to him when he is 16 (I was 16 when I got my first Strat).

In the meantime, intend to get him a Squier Mini Strat. Played that thing and was so much fun. string it with 8s or 9s though.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A Squier Mini Strat is on it's third generation in our family, becoming a family heirloom of sorts. Very inspiring and easy to play, which is really more important than anything else at that age IMO. As mentioned above, check them out first for any intonation issues.

At age 9, expect some heart stopping hazardous handling.:eek: The Squier just keeps on ticking though.:)

Good luck and enjoy his process.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, I just had to throw this in. My grand daughter a few years ago rocking it on the family heirloom Mini Strat: IMG_4104.JPG

6. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Do a good set-up on the Mini with 10s for tuning stability. You're probably not going to get a lot of complaints about bending with heavier strings...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.