1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kid grabbed my guitar at a gig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jguitarman, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

If I'm not watching my guitars during breaks--which is about two minutes out of every night--someone else in the band is. I keep them on Hercules stands which are sturdy and hard to knock over.

I only play about 15 gigs a year so when I'm playing, I want to use my good stuff, meaning my Grosh ElectraJet and my '65 Princeton Reverb, unless we're playing a coffeehouse or art gallery or something like that where it's very low volume and I can use my VOX DA5 or 15-watt Line 6. So, someone, usually me, is watching the stuff like a hawk at all times.

My current band doesn't play bars much so I haven't, luckily, gotten into any dicey situations. Mostly the drunks want to come up and sing, not play my guitar, which is not going to happen under any circumstances.

2. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

I do an analysis of each show on a points system. The higher the score, the more expensive the gear. Here are the criteria:

Plusses
    Venue Provides Security (+1)
    Venue Provides Good PA (+2)
    Venue Pays Well (+3)
    Venue Pays Very Well (+5)
    Venue Provides Merch Girl (+1)
    Venue Provides Pretty Merch Girl (+2)
    Venue Provides Pretty Merch Girl with retail experience (+3)
    Venue Provides Pretty Merch Girl with retail experience and likes blues music (+5)

Minusses
    Venue Pays Poorly (-1)
    Venue Doesn't Pay (-5)
    Venue Doesn't Pay but promises 'great exposure' and 'contacts' (-)
    No Security/Stage personnel (-2)
    Provide Merch Dude (0 points - can't complain right?)
    Provide Ugly Merch Dude (-1)
    Provide Ugly Merch Dude with mullet (-5)
    Gig Shares stage with stomp/acting troupe (-2)
    Gig Shares stage with clown act (-3)
    Venue Provides "PA" (read: 'speakers' on sticks) (-5)

Scores
    0-5 - Cheapest gear
    6-10 - Moderate to Great gear
    11- 15+ - Not only do I bring my best gear, but I might rent some even greater equipment and blow your mind with my abilities.

Less than 0
    - Borrow gear from hated enemy / Reconsider relationship with booking agent / Contract mystery disease for indefinite time period.
    - - All of the above, plus permanent ban and removal from Christmas card list.

3. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I disagree. I understand your concern, but let's say you're playing in a blue collar bar. Don't those people deserve the same quality sound your nice Gibson, Fender, or PRS guitar delivers? You can't possibly compare some First Act POS to any of those brands. The point is, those folks in that funky neighborhood gin mill just might appreciate seeing and hearing a nice instrument just as much as a bunch of rich yuppies in an upscale fern bar. They deserve that courtesy.

I can see if you're playing at a chicken-wire bar with roughnecks, hookers and rowdy bikers present, but are those the kind of gigs you honestly play? I don't.

4. mrBun

mrBun Tele-Meister

Reading the OPs post and the age of the offender... I am left wondering if perhaps the kid thought it was a video game controller?
    :)

5. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

+1. He's just lucky it wasnt Keef ;)

6. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

Funny ha-ha award for 2012 right there....

7. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

What am I missing in this that makes so many posters feel the need to tell the OP to calm down? Jeesh...

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I love doing that... walking into someones music room and notice a few guitars out on stands...

if there's a gibbo there... I go straight for it making to grab it by the nut to pick it up...... WoW! an SG/Les Paul... Unreal!...:twisted:

then pause to look around at the owners face...... ( I'd never pick up someones guitar without being offered)...;)

Man, the look of horror on some faces is a classic...:lol:

. NNNNOOOoooooooo!!!.. not that one!!!... IT"S A GIBSONNNnnnnnnn ....:lol:

9. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

Good advice

I had a similar incident. I was opening for an "up-and coming Christian" band at a church event. This band had a "following" and was popular with the young kids. I was using an electric saz (7 string long neck instrument) that I had just build, tuned, and left on stage following my sound check. The stage was large enough that my band was on one side, theirs was on the other, so it seemed okay to leave the equipment set up. Went out for a quick bite to eat and came back to find the drummer from the "now-non-existant" (karma :D ) band wailing away on the instrument, scratching it up with a pick. Where he got a pick to use, I don't know - I never use one, so I never have them around. He never asked if he could try it, I guess he just felt the need to thrash away, I suppose because it was something he's never seen. Keep in mind I NEVER play with a pick, so I did not build the instrument with a pickguard and now the softwood soundboard was completely scratched up. Needless to say, I controlled my speach, but was fuming inside, which I'm sure had an affect on the performance.

It's a shame that not everyone learns respect for others, no matter what the age.

10. JimmyZ

JimmyZ Tele-Meister

I wouldn't take anything out of my house without 100% replacement insurance. Not home owners....I buy insurance on all of my gear and it will pay 100% of the stated value. That means I tell them what the guitar or amp or pedal or speaker is worth and it's listed on the policy and if lost, stolen or broken, I get what I insured it for and not what someone else thinks it's worth. I don't want to ever have to use it but I sure feel better about taking my Les Paul or La Cabronita or Composite Acoustic out to gigs. I would never just cheap out on the guitar I play just because I'm afraid it might get hurt. Buy insurance!! My policy is with a company called Clarion and my annual premium is about $250. I list everything, take pictures and record all serial numbers and send it all to them. Like I said, I hope I never have to use it but, I sure feel better about taking my good gear out every weekend. That $250 premium is on about $20k in gear.

I hope this helps people be able to use the great guitars they own. I know that these are tools of the trade but they are also objects of more than monetary value. They are things we love but, you have to protect them the best way you can and that's insurance.

11. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

If a guitar is in a dangerous environment, just put it in the case and latch it. Have a band member watch it against theft.... If someone tries to steal it, shoot 'em in the upper leg, or foot. Ha ha... just kiddin'.

12. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Last Friday a drunk picked up my rickenbacker off a stand while I was playing my tele. I didn't want to make a big deal of it, but our other guitarist did, so it got put back pretty quickly. I'm not saying I wasn't ready to jump off the stage and take it away from him if he took another step away with it, but it seemed harmless enough. (this was a very small stage- someone in the audience can easily reach up and touch almost all of the gear on the stage)

For me, playing my 'nice' guitars is a large part of the fun of playing - If there was a threat of rain, I'd probably bring the ones I care least about, but if I only brought cheap guitars any time I played, it would take a lot of the fun out of playing for me.

13. djalt

djalt Tele-Holic

This reminds me of a funny story. I had just gotten my Parsons White B bender and we had done a gig for a bunch of friends. just a small thing, low key.
    One of the buddies in the band decided during a break to pick up my B bender and explain the mechanism to some of the friends. It's crazy but I just about went ballistic. I didn't say or show anything but I had paid 2500 bucks for the thing and without even asking he's picking it up and playing show and tell like it's his. Oh well, gotta get over it...two years ago now ...:)

14. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Rondo, GFS, Epi, Kelley, Turser, etc.
    etc.

15. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

What about the low-lifes that wait until after the gig and hang around while the band is tearing down and loading in. Gotta watch out for those guys...keep someone out by the trailer at all times.

There was a band in Houston that got robbed at gunpoint after a gig.

16. Tred

Tred Tele-Afflicted

Okay, maybe it is the military training, but I taught my kids not to touch. You know, nic-knacks and such around the house when they were small, like 2-5 years old. That way I would never have to face a problem like this.

Not a parent in sight? That should tell you there is NO parental influence in the child's life. Such is the problem with children having/raising children.

BUT, if that guitar, (or worse yet) an amp were to fall on the kid, and if it injured him, you can rest assured you'd be the one in court with a law suit against you! Regardless of where the parent were, or should have been. Sad, but ture.

Since you can't raise their kids for them, the next best thing is to get a "watchdog". Someone who can shoo the kids/drunks/idiots away.

17. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

just another example of a lack of responsibility and respect. It's like an epidemic these days.

18. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Kids are drawn to guitars like moth to flame. It's hardwired in their genes, because about 50-thousand years ago, Chuck Berry used one to slay a woolly mammoth.

19. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

Until they get on stage and notice the pedal board. Flashing lights, buttons and knobs....... most of my gear, i wouldn't mind if it took a spill. I'm more concerned with my settings getting screwed up and not knowing till the first chorus when the band comes in big :D

20. toshtele

toshtele TDPRI Member

my mom would have killed me if I did that grabbing a les paul before a tele

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.