Kid grabbed my guitar at a gig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jguitarman, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Too bad you didn't have a banjo with you. No, sorry that would have been inappropriate punishment for the crime. Never mind.

2. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

I work in a nightclub with live music every night. The bands always set up and sound check before we open. They leave their stuff out.

...I only play their guitars when I'm the only one there and there is no one to see me.

3. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I'm often working on or near a stage with a MacBook Pro. Costs more than my guitars. I don't turn my back on that computer for a second. You have to take personal responsibility and not expect other people to do the right or the sensible thing because often they won't.

4. ThreePeace

ThreePeace Tele-Meister

Sometimes you have to keep an eye on your own band members. One night at the close of a gig, I laid my guitar case on a table, opened the case and laid my Strat inside. I normally never close the case without closing the latches.

This time I just laid the lid down and walked ten feet to the stage to retrieve my picks before locking up the guitar case. In that short amount of time, our drummer decided he needed to move my "closed" guitar case off the table. He just grabbed the handle and whipped the case around, which resulted in everything flying out and sliding across the floor.

Luckily, there was no damage to the guitar. Ever since, I can never close a guitar case for even a second without closing all the latches.

5. MontrealTele

MontrealTele TDPRI Member

I once had three drunk Russian sailors climb up on stage with us shouting in russian and trying to grab the guitars. One of them would not let go of mine... I show the crack that his head made to my daughter every time she tells me she wants to be a professional musician.

6. ashplank

ashplank TDPRI Member

Give me a new one I'll wear it out myself . I really don't worry about the normal nicks dings and scratches , as long as its not too busted to play . A guitar is a life long friend ,whats a flaw or two between friends? thank God your bass player was there to prevent any real damage, but if you can't stand to see your friends take a little abuse , consider making friends from Korea or Mexico . You wont look as cool but you won't have to worry.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Did the parent at least apologize? I understand that kids will be kids but parents should be parents as well. I would be mortified if that were my kid!

This whole business of just accepting that other people are going to be inconsiderate louts is a bit hard to swallow. True, but hard to swallow none-the-less.

Personally I would have a band meeting about having at least one member with the equipment the entire time.

8. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

I've thought about this, my only concern is that if someone wanted to walk off with it, it's already all packaged up for them.

+1

9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I choose which guitars to take, dependent on venue........

Some instruments aren't going to survive rough treatment- and some are more easily replaceable than others.

10. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I don't let my gear leave my sight at a gig, and I never use guitar stands. If its not in my hands, it's in the case.

11. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

This. Can be added to your Homewoners coverage as an endorsement. It would provide coverage for accidental breakage. The standard homeowners coverage for Unscheduled Personal Property (Contents) wouldn't.
    Ask your insurance agent about it.

12. mattbow1990

mattbow1990 TDPRI Member

This is slightly changing the subject, but at a gig, our band was backstage, and a kid came up and asked our guitarist if he could have his Fender Custom Shop Gold Sparkle strat, of course he said no, but then the kid offered him $50. Kid didn't try to grab the guitar though.

13. wshelley

wshelley Tele-Holic

Instead of buying a less expensive guitar to play out, how about invest that money in an indestructible case and a bicycle chain. Put the guitar in a case that can withstand an adult walking across it, then chain it to the bass drum or tube amp, or both. Very little risk of damage, and if someone can make off with a guitar, case, tube amp, and bass drum all at once, then they deserve to have it.

14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'd probably just set it in the case. If I'm not there, and my Les Paul is, someone is aware of it and watching. I'm not about to lose my #1 just for being gone 5 minutes.

Pigweed has a gig this weekend and will be taking the '89 Strat and my newish Fender acoustic/electric to play. If she's not on stage with them they'll be right beside us in their cases. In my mind, that's what cases are for, and it makes it easier for someone to watch them.

Just my $0.05...

15. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I take my RW Tele to bar gigs or gigs where higher end instruments might be at risk. Not so much to protect against un monitored kids but for dancers who've had one too many margaritas and might stumble into things.
    The high end stuff gets used on stages where audience attendees cannot access the stage. I also carry Clarion coverage on everything.

16. telemasher

telemasher TDPRI Member

My philosophy is only BAD things can happen to guitars left in stands unattended. If I leave the stage the guitars go in the case, no exceptions. YMMV

17. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

:idea:
    i thought you'd grab the axe from lester jr and roll into a little beatles number

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Call your insurance agent. It's not that expensive to insure your gear. You don't ever want to have to use the policy and you don't ever want to have a problem with your gear but you should plan for trouble and hope for good things.

The little kid did something wrong. Kids can make mistakes. Drunk chicks can make mistakes. Big strong bikers can make mistakes. Guitars are cool. Sometimes people just want to touch your guitar. When we played stages that were less than 3 feet tall I would take my Les Paul (I gigged a 70's Les Paul when I was in college) off it's stand and put it in it's case which was behind my amp if I went out to our old bus on a break. You can't walk away from guitars on stands on a 10" bandstand in a crowded bar. I believe that people are good but I don't tempt good people.

Lay cases behind amps. Put the guitars in the cases if you walk away. Take them back out when you return. Have insurance.

I'm glad the kid didn't break anything. That would have been rough all around.

19. lowatt

lowatt Tele-Meister

It's usually me that trips on the cord and yanks the guitar off the stand. I think I need someone to watch me.

20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a happy friendly 100 pound dog at home. He's hyper like a puppy. I take guitars off stands and keep them in cases in my own house!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.