Kick the Kicker? Why we need ANOTHER Urban Meyer thread

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Kickers don't typically command respect and coaches are often quite open about this. The legendary John McKay once said "Kickers are like horse manure. They're all over the place." But Urban, if we can believe Josh Lambo, kicked a kicker.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ker-josh-lambo-claims-urban-meyer-kicked-him/

Now this story comes out after a lot of leaking. The entire Jaguar team seems just fine with leaking all over Urban right now, but I bet they wouldn't do it if he was on fire, if you get my drift. So I'm thinking in August this may not have been a big deal. But now everyone will believe anything they want about Urban. Conventional wisdom says he's through. USC has a new head coach. I would have bet money that he would have ended up there. So where does he go from here? Has reality finally caught up to him now that he has been exposed as being far from a gridiron genius and a really nasty human being? Conventional wisdom says yes, so that is precisely why I think there is a football future for Urban, and not just on television (which he really isn't all that good at). Until there is actual murder proven, guys like Urban seem to always move on, have some apparent success, and then disappear. It confounds logic but it happens.

So what are your predictions on where Urban ends up next? It doesn't have to be 2022. He'll cool his heels for a little longer than that. But I just have this gut feeling that he'll wind up back in football. My prediction? He'll become something administrative. University AD maybe, although those positions are getting scrutiny now. Pro GM? Less likely but he seems to be well connected.

UM is the trainwreck I can't unwatch.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
Man! I saw kicker and thought you might have a thread about pre-evo Harleys going.

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Man! I saw kicker and thought you might have a thread about pre-evo Harleys going.

I wish.

It gives me no joy to have discuss Urban but someone must.

Last edited:

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
From the story: "Well I'm the head ball coach, I'll kick you whenever the **** I want."

It seems like people that have this attitude never seem to make it very far. In Ubran's case, he's made it pretty far...but not as far as Saban :lol:

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
From the story: "Well I'm the head ball coach, I'll kick you whenever the **** I want."

It seems like people that have this attitude never seem to make it very far. In Ubran's case, he's made it pretty far...but not as far as Saban :lol:

Saban must surely have his faults, but there just isn't the history of bullying coming out of his present and past programs to the extent that there is about Meyer. But their careers are similar. Saban found that the NFL wasn't a fit and went back to his true calling. It's a lot harder to coach a bunch of adults who are much harder to intimidate and whose respect is earned.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Don't get me wrong, I believe Nick Saban to be every bit of a piece of garbage as Urban Meyer, probably more so. My post was more a jab about how Urban seems to keep leaving positions because he can't beat Saban. That's my opinion at least.

I'm sure most college coaches are absolute authoritarians. They make millions while help (until recently) makes $0. They can say and do whatever they want because they hold all the power over the lives of the kids they coach. Not so in the NFL where a good portion of the players make more money than you and don't have to buy into your BS if they don't want to.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
Kickers don't typically command respect and coaches are often quite open about this. The legendary John McKay once said "Kickers are like horse manure. They're all over the place." But Urban, if we can believe Josh Lambo, kicked a kicker.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ker-josh-lambo-claims-urban-meyer-kicked-him/

Now this story comes out after a lot of leaking. The entire Jaguar team seems just fine with leaking all over Urban right now, but I bet they wouldn't do it if he was on fire, if you get my drift. So I'm thinking in August this may not have been a big deal. But now everyone will believe anything they want about Urban. Conventional wisdom says he's through. USC has a new head coach. I would have bet money that he would have ended up there. So where does he go from here? Has reality finally caught up to him now that he has been exposed as being far from a gridiron genius and a really nasty human being? Conventional wisdom says yes, so that is precisely why I think there is a football future for Urban, and not just on television (which he really isn't all that good at). Until there is actual murder proven, guys like Urban seem to always move on, have some apparent success, and then disappear. It confounds logic but it happens.

So what are your predictions on where Urban ends up next? It doesn't have to be 2022. He'll cool his heels for a little longer than that. But I just have this gut feeling that he'll wind up back in football. My prediction? He'll become something administrative. University AD maybe, although those positions are getting scrutiny now. Pro GM? Less likely but he seems to be well connected.

UM is the trainwreck I can't unwatch.

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

With the Jaguars' record this year, who's going to want to take Meyer's place ? It's the players, not the coach. They just ain't got it. They've only had 1 good season in the last to years: 2017. They have a permanent reservation for 4th place in the AFC South.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
College coaches that transition to the NFL always seem to be a bad fit.

Meyer, Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, Holtz... There are a few that have made the jump that were successful, but just because you can motivate (usually by fear and intimidation) young athletes doesn't mean you can motivate paid professionals.

Urban's days were numbered when he took that job and had a big meeting with the team telling them that they represented the city, the team and him. He told them that they needed to be above reproach and to do things decently. That he would not put up with foolishness on the field or in the public. Then a few months later Urban makes headlines letting a co-ed grind on his pelvic region after he sent his wife and grandkids home to bed.

He "may" get another shot, but if I was an AD I would avoid him like the plague.

3fngrs

Poster Extraordinaire
you live in Ohio and you've never heard of Urban Meyer? I am strangely encouraged by this. Please tell me you live in Columbus.

Nope.

I have 0 interest in sports. I used to occasionally watch the Browns and Indians but after the politics of the last few years, I have no use for sports.

Besides, I like to think of sports as something you do, not watch.