Keto

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jan 13, 2020.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Hmmm. I did it on the advice of my doctor, and lost 83 pounds, and have kept the weight off. Lowered my sugar from a pre-diabetic level to a very healthy level, and my energy and stamina are better in my mid fifties than they were in my thirties.

I'm not arguing with you...but the fad, con, and unhealthy diet may have added years to my life, and took 83 pounds off - apparently my mileage varied from your message.

My day job has me in a medical clinic that does pretty well for a hometown clinic - and my PCP works where I do. My experiences have been very positive with a keto lifestyle.

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Right, you guys can't even be trusted with stuff you know about. :lol:

gregulator450 and drf64 like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

If you want to "trick" your body to lose weight and still eat bacon, well, that is your choice. I predict a multi year run on kidney stones sometime in the future. Just sayin'

4. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

I did not need an excuse to do that.

Seriously, though, everything in moderation and be physically active.

61fury likes this.
  5. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I've
    I've lost 100 pounds since 2005 by counting calories and exercise. I love carbs, pasta , bread, rice etc. I don't believe any diet can work if it denies you food you love. But you can cheat on any diet, you can have a cheat day with Keto too.
    Whatever works for you, however I'm very intrigued by that 12 beers and deep fried pizza diet.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Can I get that delivered? :twisted:

7. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

My wife wanted to try Keto. On Jan 1 2019 she started it. By default I tagged along. She cooks dinners and I am happy and grateful to eat whatever she prepares. The food was absolutely some of the best home cooking she's ever made. New delicious meals aplenty. But something happened....My body changed.

I had been fighting heartburn for at least 10 years. I was on daily medication for heartburn. I was having blood sugar spikes and valleys. I was diagnosed as hypo-glycemic over 25 years ago. I'd get the shakes when my blood sugars tanked and I'd start eating carbs and sugars like a mad man. Gut wrenching aches after certain meals that I could not figure out. Almost after every meal it seemed, throat clearing. Like a phlegm developed in my esophagus. Took about and hour to stop hacking and throat clearing after almost every meal. A total pain in the a s s. Gas every day. Bowel movements, 95% of the time was not easy. I went to the doctor trying a few different things. He tried helping me with masking the symtoms. I had not been able to tie all the symptoms together. I would say as a whole, I was undiagnosed.

Yet, every symptom vanished after a month of Keto. What the heck! Why? I began to re-introduce certain foods and pay attention to the symptoms. My body told me all I needed to know. I just needed to listen to it. I have learned that I have some type of sensitivity to gluten. In anything I eat with gluten, the symptoms reappear. So all breads, pasta, home baking, whatever, anything with gluten is out of my diet. I am so fortunate to have been able to figure this out. I sneak in the odd beer here and there, which does have have gluten in it. Seems to me I can get away it. I suspect eating gluten on a regular basis, it builds up in your body maybe? Because before if I had 1 beer, I had wicked heartburn. Not any more.

1 year later I have no regrets. I am not on an official Keto diet. I do not eat extra fats to fire up ketosis in my body. I never ate butter or margarine before. I still don't. I ate very little bacon before. I still eat very little bacon. Maybe 4x a year. I still eliminate many carbs were possible. I lost about 25 lbs and it has stayed off. Quite easily actually. Thanks to Keto I learned what works for me. I am not on a diet, per se. I have modified what I eat so that I can live a normal life. I am fixed and doin' my thing for the rest of my life. Thanks Keto diet. You helped me figure myself out.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  8. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2020-1-13_18-38-11.png

This horrible government sponsored food pyramid is 100% responsible for the huge obesity epidemic we're facing today.. All those carbs have killed so many people over the last half century.

Keto has certainly worked for me. Down about 50 lbs, I can hike 20 miles a day, and all my yearly physicals for the last 10 years they cannot find a damn thing wrong with me, except my Vitamin D is a little low. Before Keto, my blood was a real mess and I was on a freight train to heart disease and strokes, like so run in my family.

Those who call Keto a Fad are incredibly misinformed. But they like it that way.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

geoff_in_nc likes this.
  10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Is there one definitive definition of what a keto diet is? Or are their variations, more of a spectrum kind of thing?

Cheers,
    Geoff

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve cut carbs and started running (3 miles, 4/5 days a week) and lost weight fast.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

If I could run 3 miles that often I'd lose more weight too. Unfortunately, my busted up hip says that ain't gonna happen.

13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Didn't Pvt. William Santiago die from ketoacidosis? Pass the biscuits please!!

14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Groans.....another miracle cure....
    Just eat a varied set of foods....
    Mind your age...
    Make sure to move around on a daily basis.
    In other words...eat with care and make sure to stay active...

There is always something..don't eat fat....don't eat carbs....don't eat this and that and do not produce co-2..blah blah and other stupid stuff....

Health is the new religion....
    Do as the gurus says...buy their cures and medicine... ;)

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

This pyramid is all wrong: misses out both the chocotastic and congealed groups

Science based documentary here explains it all:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    RoyBGood and faulp like this.
  16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

An interesting pick.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Dr. Moseley uses the 5:2 diet. He has a BBC show called " Trust Me I'm a Doctor". Two days a week you practically starve, then eat what you like on the others. It works BUT you need to buy his book and the recipes are good. E.g. Bad day , fruit, scrambled eggs, small dinner less than 500 calories.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Its a cutsie name for an old diet. I'm on my third tour presently.

Its never shown any impact at my physicals, and oddly, my cholesterol has dropped on this last tour. Its an easy diet for me, because salty is my favorite things: meats and fish, cheeses, nuts, avocado, cottage cheese and plain yogurt, pork skins, etc. And eventually greens and vegatables, and *measured* amounts of grains.

Just follow the directions, and add back in the *measured* amount of carbs in healthy stuff like greens and non-starchy vegatables and grains, after the initiation period. The main items to avoid, are things with added sugar, and the higher starch non-nutrient things like enriched bread, potatoes and rice. And you can have those too, just *measured*.

Its a healthy diet, in that the reduction of carbs removes the craving to overeat (opposite of all retail food business models). And, you only do this for a couple weeks - not enough time to affect all the hyped risk associated with low carb diets. Then you add back some carbs, *measured*, like 30-50 grams a day. At that point, your total portions and calorie intake is under control, you aren't hungry, and you are eating healthy.

Everytime I've done it, I sleep and feel much better. I loose weight. I also have more energy and spend time at the gym, which makes me sleep even more better and feel more better. And, I end up eating much better. And I'm not out of control hungry. BUT everytime I fall back into eating fast food, deserts, meals of only pasta potatoes and bread - my hunger and craving increases almost within a day. Its pretty obvious, our restaurant and fastfood infrastructure is manipulating us to consume more product, by using high carb, high sugar-added products that create craving and overeating - just like we used to manipulate cattle to eat more and gain more weight.

Weight gain is dollars of income by the billions for more than one huge industry. I can think of three, one of which is our largest. They really don't like low-carb...

19. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Brilliant! One of the best episodes. A later scene with Bart and Homer in the fast food place: 'Just eat around the banana, dad - it's just empty vitamins!'

20. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

About 40 years ago we discovered a link between high blood fats and heart disease and we told America to eat a low fat diet.
    America largely obeyed - substituting carbohydrates for fats - and we know the results of that experiment.
    This was not the result of empirical evidence. Telling people that lowering dietary fats would lower their blood fats was a guess. And increasingly the evidence says it was not a good guess.
    It probably isnt just carbohydrates that are the culprit but specifically high glycemic index carbohydrates - those that rapidly raise blood sugar.
    My guess is that keto is a step further than most people need and most of us do well with carbohydrates in the diet so long as we keep the glycemic load within limits.
    But if re-thinking the deitary recommendations of the past 40 years is a "fad" then it is one that is about 40 years overdue.

stonetone7 and Piggy Stu like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.