1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kenny Wayne Shepard

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mozzarate54, Oct 27, 2012.

1. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

Anyone hear a fan of Kenny Wayne Shepard? I never heard any of his stuff. What's one of his best albums?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

I'm a fan of his early stuff. In my opinion, his best work was his first album, "Ledbetter Heights". He tends to be a little long-winded on solos, but it's forgivable considering he plays well (and was 17 or 18 at the time of recording). In fact, I'd rate his albums in order of their appearance. First album on top. Subsequent albums lower on the scale.

3. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

+1
    Early stuff..very good.
    Saw him at the "House of Blues" in Cleveland right after he got famous.

4. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

Saw him at Lake Alice Trading Co in Riverside, CA on his last Deja Voodoo tour stop before he started headlining the big boys. The place was so packed that they made the first five or six 'rows' of people sit on the floor so people would quit crowding the stage.

Great show, except that KWS didn't look up from his shoes but twice. :) I think he was shy.

5. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I saw him at the Bedford Blues Festival in Texas in July...the guy can just flat play. I've been following him on and off for 15 years or so.. Ledbetter Heights is good stuff.

6. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Ledbetter heights and The place you're in. My personal favs are In 2 deep and alive. Dig his blues stuff too, but like the rocksongs better. And Noah Hunt is an awesome singer!

7. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I think I saw him open for Dylan sometime around 2000~2002 . . . Davenport, IA, I think it was.

I thought he was terrific. I dont know his studio stuff well enough to recommend any particular album, but I did enjoy his show a lot.

8. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

Fan, yes.

Highlight for me is the "Ten Days Out, Blues From The Backroads" [Grammy Award For the album as I recall]. The great breaks in the duet with BB King on that set is OTT. BB was having a very good gig and in his very finest form in summer 2004. Outstanding stuff all 'round.. eg, the BB in the 2010 Crossroads DVD is nowhere near the same BB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjO80QT9sIM

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

I remember when he picked up a local singer Noah Hunt from Cincinnati to be his singer for a while. I believe that was his only hit song, "Blue on Black". Not sure when they parted ways or how that whole thing shook out, but on of KWS's biggest weakness is vocals. He can definitely play, I just never got into his sound that much. Way too SRV with not much originality. I remember when him and Johnny Lang came out about the same time, both young cats with great licks. I feel Johnny Lang went on to be a great singer songwriter (who still jams) while Kenny was trying to find his way...
    I realize how much SRV has influenced players but many seem to have a hard time not sounding like him. I think John Mayer is a good example of someone who is heavily influenced yet has his own sound.

I still can't believe Mel Gibson is Kenny's father in law. That must be crazy.

10. andrewsadlon

andrewsadlon Tele-Meister

Love his stuff. Have to agree with Ledbetter Heights. My favorite song is Last Goodbye.

11. mozzarate54

mozzarate54 Tele-Holic

What type of genre would kenny Wayne sheperd fall into? Is he a blues guy? Similar to John Mayer?

12. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

He sounds alot like SRV but doesnt sing.

His Dad booked gigs and when KWS was 7-8 years old he sat on SRV's amp for a whole gig.

After that he was hooked and his early playing was based on SRV sounds but his style changed to more of a hard rock sound.

He is a good player.

13. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

I love his tone on the "Blue on Black" solo.

14. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

He uses a twin reverb

15. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

KWS,,,,meh...

T.

16. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

His first 2 albums have had heavy rotation in my stereo since they came out. I saw him in concert about 10 years ago and his playing actually brought me to tears. It was incredible and that never happened before or since.

17. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Tele-Meister

If you're just finding Kenny Wayne Shepherd, I suggest his "Live! In Chicago" album. It's really an outstanding blues album with a rock & roll vibe.

18. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I would add: Further, if you've ever heard SRV, then you've heard KWS, as KWS is a clone of SRV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.