Kendrick K-Spot Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dmarcus30, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Finally got my hands on one and it's everything I hoped it would be. 35 watts from 2 6L6s, tube rectified, one 12" Kendrick Brownframe speaker, onboard 3 knob reverb, lacquered tweed immaculately laid on 100 year old pine cabinet. The build quality is very impressive! Simple Bass/Treble/Volume controls with 4 inputs each with it's own sonic character. The amp weighs only 35 pounds and it's a grab-and-go powerhouse.
    I can't wait to gig with it and open it up. Mine came with the Kendrick attenuator which does a very good job of cutting the db level without pinching the tone. It sounds better than attenuators I've used that go for $500.

Tone? Yeah, it's here. Starts as a tweed on steroids and becomes increasingly aggressive as the Volume is turned up. It is very LOUD for a 35 watter but gets gorgeous overtone-laden tone at survivable volumes and it also runs dead quiet, even with single coils.

The only thing I will do is replace the JJ tubes with American NOS and try some speaker swapping. I have a FANE alnico I want to swap in that is rated for 100 watts. It has a really complex tone and will give me later break-up.
    I think this may be the last amp I'll ever buy.

2. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Nice man. Post some pics and a video demo!
    Congrats on the amp.

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Cream of the crop of Kendrick amps.

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats on your new Kendrick!!!

Post some pics when you get a chance. How did you find the K spot? Was one for sale up there or did you order from Gerald?

I've owned 3 Kendrick amps, and I currently own their New Joyzee model which is wonderful. I ended up swamping out my speakers too and ended up using an Eminence Texas Heat in my Kendrick...

... which I felt was appropriate since Kendrick amps are made in Texas, and the Texas Heat speaker was a wonderful match for that amp. The Eminence Swamp Thang also works in the Kendrick. Give one of those a try.

Have fun, congrats again!

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

I've never played through a Kendrick, but everything I've ever heard about them is great. Congratulations!

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Congrats, enjoy.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Could we see some pics?

8. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I found this one on Craig's List many months ago and kept checking back to see if it was still listed. He finally dropped the price dramatically and I had to have it. I've had a Kendrick Black Gold 15 that just really changed my idea of what constitutes great tone so I have been anxious to get a higher powered amp by Kendrick. I swapped out the JJ pre-amp and rectifier tubes for NOS American glass and I'm still on the fence about swapping out the Brownframe speaker. It's a small amp and the speaker is a tight fit so it won't take just any speaker. The Brownframe has a very low profile and fits perfectly but it still gets "brown" too soon on the Volume dial for me. My first amp was a SF Twin so I have always leaned toward cleaner sounds. We'll see, no hurry. It's just fun to play!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.