Ken Carlson vs Doug Seven?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by rich2k4, Jun 6, 2015.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

I am thinking about getting the entire lesson bundle for one of them but would like to gather some outside opinions. How good are these lessons, and which do you feel does a better job of teaching the style?

I prefer concepts so that I can create my own licks instead of just having licks taught to me. Are these lessons primarily lick lessons or "here is this solo I wrote over one of my own tunes, lets learn that, without explaining the concept and theory behind it" lessons?

An example of concept style teaching to me would be like "most of the time when you encounter a 7th chord going to the home key chord, you can play a melodic minor scale up a half step from the 7th chord, to get a jazzy tension."

2. PapaH

PapaH Tele-Meister

Concept wise, Doug has some more advanced lessons on his site the delve into the mix between country, jazz, and blues. My personal recommendation would be Doug's "Pillars of Soloing" series, "Hotter Licks and Killer one-liners", and the "Blues Masterclass".

Ken's lessons are great, but they tend to stay pretty rooted to the country concepts of weaving inside of the major and minor scales and a lot of harmonizing in 3rds.

Neither is going to get you to a masters degree in music theory, but as long as you can grasp the harmonic concepts audibly, both will get you pretty far.

3. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

I like Kens lessons. I play country guitar and they work for me. I got the b-bending lesson from Doug and it was worthless. my .02cents

4. Thirteen

Thirteen TDPRI Member

I've tried both and I prefer Ken's videos. I've only bought 1 of Doug's, several years ago, and bought probably 3-4 of Ken's so far. My advice would be to buy a couple of each and try them before making a bigger commitment on a bundle purchase. To me, these instructional videos are like diets. There's a lot of options and variety and what works for one person may not work for another. Try them both and see which one "clicks" for you because they're both good but the one that that really resonates with you and keeps you interested and coming back to work on will be the one that will work for YOU in the long run.

5. DeTerminator

DeTerminator Tele-Meister

I haven't looked at Doug Seven's material yet, but I would if my computer was functioning properly these days. I did get the whole bundle from Ken last September, however, and it changed the way that I play big time.

I switched over from mostly straight flatpicking over to thumbpicking, and now recently, a bit of hybrid picking, but mostly thumbpicking. Once I had the thumbpicking done pretty good, making the switch to being capable of hybrid picking was a piece of cake, and almost overnight. I started using my right hand ring finger as a result of hybrid picking, which then transferred over to using it a LOT along with the index and middle for my thumbpicking style.

If you already have a decent amount of knowledge/experience gained over the years, or are intermediate in skill, (I'm 57, and started playing when I was 15), you might benefit the most from getting the Folsom Blues Solo Ideas, The Working Man Blues Solo Ideas, and the Modern Chicken Pickin'. If you want to look at Brad Paisley's style and songs, you can add that in there too. The Rhythm Patterns for Country Electric is awesome! I'm working on that set mainly these days, to round out my playing. The dvd's present "IDEA'S", via licks and rational, that you can plug them in to whatever song or key that you want, they don't have to be played in a certain song. If there is a certain country song that you'd like to learn that he has a dvd for, he has some of those as well. But, those five that I mentioned are what I found the most informative and useful for me, if you want to get an idea of what he has to offer, instead of getting the whole deal. Heck, get the whole bundle, I'm glad that I did.

Ken has been fast getting back to me with any of my questions, too. That's another thing I like about his guitar instructional services.

6. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

If you like less talking and more focus go with Ken. I have 3 sets by him and really like his teaching style. Has really taken my theory and applied it in a fun way. I do like Doug, good guy and both are great players. This is what I play and always enjoy getting in great players minds as to how they approach playing.

JTM45blues likes this.
  7. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ken Carlson gets my vote.

8. flyingnorth

flyingnorth Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Ken is the man. Doug spends so much time talking it drives me nuts. Also, i think ken lays it out much better. i don't chickren pick, but that's not a problem.I have a CD from both and i vote for ken.

historicus146 likes this.
  9. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Ken.

10. mavman

mavman TDPRI Member

I have both. They are both good.. I was kinda of disappointed in Dougs video quality though. Kens video quality is 100 times better it seems. Doug does seem to talk alot lol.

11. chamas

chamas TDPRI Member

I have both. Doug is more technical, which is what I like, but I learn more from Ken. Doug talks way too much and I can never seem to get through a lesson. Ken shows you and gets to the point and I've learned way more from his lessons. Maybe someday when I get lots of free time I'll go through Doug's material and edit out all the talking so I just have the lessons and maybe then I can get through some of them! Sorry Doug, luv ya but...

12. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

I have purchased from both of them and like 'em both. They seem like regular guys to me who would be cool to hang out with. I also like when Ken makes an occasional mistake. He just shrugs it off. Doug talks for sure but only because he's so damn in to playing.

Dave

13. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

Another vote for Ken. His bundle taught me plenty.

14. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

Oh Yeah! Ken Carlson's lessons work just fine for me too. I am playing stuff I could only dream playing of not too long ago. Although, it dose take a lot of practice to get nice clear notes up to speed.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Doug seems to talk a lot....

Ken's pretty decent. If nothing else, he taught me how to alternate pick with a thumbpick!

historicus146 likes this.
  16. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

I like Ken. And also get Johnny Hiland chicken pickin' guitar.

Journeyman22 likes this.
  17. moosie

Jason McLoughlin on Truefire can teach you chicken pickin, classic old time country licks, and a good helping of theory, if that's what you seek. Good educator, too, which can't be said for many good pickers.

saulitude and Warren Pederson like this.
  18. transmaniacon

transmaniacon Tele-Holic

cool, which vid is that on?

19. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

I don't "know" and never had any experience with anyone of them, but based just on the content i like Ken's video more, don't know exactly why, altough i think that both would be good.

YMMV

20. moosie

I'm not sure it's specifically taught. But he uses a thumbpick. He doesn't teach anything that can't also be flatpicked, but I was intrigued enough to work with it.

I guess my own style emerged. I can't alternate pick with a normal thumbpick, it falls off. But a Herco or a Kelly Bumblebee... It's fun to play those twangy Luther Perkins / Travis-picked bass lines.

transmaniacon and Nickadermis like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.