Ken Burns Country Music Documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kirchensfan, Sep 14, 2019.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Episode 7 - Outlaw Country starting out great!

Deeve and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

No s***! that guy must just linger in halls trying to get on every tribute album or documentary!

Needs to be a documentary about washed up has beens for me to care about his opinion....

:D

Sorry... I'm just tired of this guy showing up everywhere

teledude66 and blackguts like this.
  3. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Well I think you could find a Telecaster or two tonight. But, what ties all the episodes together? Those guitars from Nazareth, Martin’s and the occasional Gibson.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  4. blackguts

blackguts Tele-Meister

Wynton did an album with Willie that is a jem

5. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker TDPRI Member

Ahhh James Burton, Rickey Skaggs, and EmmyLou’s Hot Band.... there’s your Telecaster!

Teleguy61 and howardlo like this.
  6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Before you get your panties in a twist, I think if you combine all the Elvis Costello talking head segments from the eight episodes together, you may get a couple minutes of video.

DonM likes this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I've been commenting on this Series here and also at TGP
    I am really enjoying every minute of this ( learning a lot, if I can retain...) BUT we are getting near the end, and except for one pic ( background) no mention of my hero, John Prine, who came into his own in the early '70's, with an amazing debut album, ( with Country pros) and keeps going....

Maybe too 'folk' but he is one of the best songwriters/singers/ performers ( still!) that we have been graced with.
    A living legend, National treasure, IMO.

8. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Its in chronological order so I don’t think they’re up to He Stopped Loving Her yet. George and Tammy’s lives were all dysfunction with some great music thrown in. That’s who they were.

Flakey and Hatfield92 like this.
  9. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And I remember him playing in that HBO George Jones Tribute concert in the ‘80’s. He was still sick getting over the mumps but wanted to play anyway. He’s always been a big country fan.

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Follow the timeline... artists get rolled over through the episodes as their careers rolled through the decades.
    As of the last episode I watched (Monday night) they just brought us up to 1972.... He Stopped Loving Her Today wasn't recorded until 1979. I'm sure there is still plenty of George Jones left to come. (I have Tuesday nights recorded... I'm a day behind)

As for the balance of music history vs tragedy... I'd say there are at least two reasons for this...
    1. The documentary caters to the masses, not to just musicians. The masses love the tabloids!
    2. Where does the music come from? Quite often it is from those troubled times. It's not easy to write a sad song when your happy.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    nojazzhere and Hatfield92 like this.
  11. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Emmylou wearing a Little Feat sweatshirt!

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of time and importance they placed on Gram Parsons and the Burrito Brothers. Them, the Nitty Gritty, Charlie, Tucker, PPL, NRPS, they are why I am a Country Musician today.

I was equally surprised they even mentioned the New Riders. Just a mention, but still...That was way cool.

Deeve, nojazzhere and Hatfield92 like this.
  12. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

I’m jumping to the end of this thread here because I don’t have time to read throgh yet. Just wanted to say I have been DVRing the series and I love it. I’m only starting on Episode 2, it’s a lot of info to take in so I haven’t been able to watch the full 2 hours in one sitting (I have ADD moments where my mind wanders and then I’m like, wait what’d they just say??, and have to rewind a bit :rolleyes:)

But it is really fantastic. I’m learning so much about artists I have only known in name. It’s also interesting to me that I know stuff that was not at all in my wheelhouse growing up. Why DO I know the song Home On The Range? It’s not like I listened to country growing up in Brooklyn, NY. I remember my Dad used to talk about Gene Autry and how he wrote a lot of the big Christmas tunes (at least I think that’s what he said), but we didn’t listen to country in my house. My Dad was all jazz and some classical. But I think he just had an overall knowledge of music and read a lot. And when I was checking out some Hee Haw stuff on YouTube recently, I realized that a lot of my Dad’s cheesy jokes were done there. And the names of the people on there are familiar to me, I’m pretty sure he watched it on some level when we were kids. My sisters don’t have any recollection of some things he talked about in this regard, but I do, and it couldn’t have come from nowhere, right?

Anyway, I am looking forward to watching this thoroughly and reading through this thread.

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

It was on last night's episode 7.

Teleguy61, nojazzhere and codamedia like this.
  14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Statements like this make me sad... personal bias leading to the complete closure of the mind.
    I guess it goes with the times.

FYI: the man knows the history, and might have about 30 seconds of air time in each episode.

stevemc, Ben-Zion, h4ck.b0x7 and 5 others like this.
  15. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I feel legitimately bad for those of you who can’t just enjoy these episodes. The only legit complaint I read was that John Prine was missed. I remember thinking the same thing. He and Townes are neck and neck as songwriters, IMHO.

That omission didn’t hamper my enjoyment and outright joy with watching this amazing historical document. I love it. I love Jazz. If not for Ken Burns, I’d know basically nothing about jazz. It was the ultimate 101 course, which is basically what I think he is going for.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They covered them but not nearly enough. Or should I say they “mentioned” them.

I have that box set and it’s great.

I love that undefinable stuff that is almost Bluegrass with electric instruments .

So what if they had gotten Nick Lowe instead ?

This is a legitimate question aimed at those bagging on the inclusion of Elvis Costello.

17. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

I never knew much about Marty Stuart other than he was a great guitar player who knew how to stand out in a crowd. But listening to him talk about this stuff is impressive. Didn't realize he was a child prodigy so to speak.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  18. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I thought ( hoping) that John Prine was going to get a nod, as a fair amount of time was spent on Kris Kristofferson, and KK wrote liner notes on John P.'s debut album. So was hoping for maybe bridge between the 2...

Hatfield92 and Texicaster like this.
  19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

It's the fallacy of celebrity = expert.

Neither has legit "country" credentials... I bet I have a better grasp than those two combined!

Any number of rockers could have been rolled out that had legit country roots.

I can't think of one other "celebrity" interview that was less connected. Seriously, we got Marty, Dwight, Rosanne, Dolly, Emmylou, Rodney et al and Elvis Costello?! What's wrong with this picture?! Every other one was seriously involved with country music. Elvis some dork who made one decent NON country album with not one country lick on it!

My issue is he seems to be on EVERY SINGLE tribute album/concert/documentary etc as if he IS an expert and usually says nothing more than "I was a big fan".

20. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have a problem with the "purist" approach in any genre. Music is music. One genre of music frequently influences another genre. Almost everyone stands on someone else's shoulders. So it's appropriate and worthwhile to have non-country performers, producers, etc comment on "Country".

FWIW, this or any series, would be less well done if it was done by a "purist".

Somewhere, someone has watched and thought "I didn't know he/she was influenced by...." or "I didn't know he/she had an appreciation for...." and it widens the audience.

Were the Everly Brothers "country"? Damnit, they sure influenced many rockers for decades. Was Clapton influenced by "Country"?

nojazzhere and Hatfield92 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.