1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kemper - live report

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sir humphrey, Mar 30, 2014.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I posted a NAD about my Kemper Profiler the other day and a couple of people asked for a report on how it worked live, so here you go..

It worked - that's the first thing to say! I've always liked the idea of the practicality and versatility of digital for playing live but my experience of it has not lived up to my expectations. Have owned Line 6 stuff, which was very poor live, Yamaha DG100 amp, which was a great sounding amp but always felt very un-natural in terms of response, and have used most of the other usual suspects with mixed results.

The Kemper was streets ahead of all of them. Not only did it sound right but it felt right too, which is a huge thing live.

I ran it straight into the desk and just used the stage monitors, and it worked really well. My band mates were very impressed, including our rhythm guitarist who has a pathological hatred of digital amps but had to concede that the Kemper was a different league.

A few observations. It does take some fiddling to get right, and there's still work to do to get the settings right for live. The pre-loaded profiles are ok, but the commercial ones I bought from The Amp Factory were much better.

I set them up at home using a keyboard amp as a monitor, then before the gig took them to my friend's home studio to work with him, as he is a very good sound engineer.

When it came to playing live I noticed a few things - the settings that worked in the studio still need tweaking for live use. The reverb is much more pronounced at high volume, and a couple of the settings were much louder than others when run through a full PA.

I'll need to tweak a bit more over the next couple of gigs to get everything right, but overall I was very, very impressed with how it worked.

When I was in my friend's studio we also had a go at profiling his Blues Junior - we didn't spend a lot of time on it, but the results we got were very good. I wouldn't say they sounded exactly alike, but enough that no-one would notice without carefull A/B-ing, and I'm sure if we'd spent some time tweaking we would have got it even closer.

Very impressive bit of kit, and the first digital gizmo that lives up to what I always hoped they would.

ROLLY likes this.
  2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Just curious, what made you choose the Kemper instead of Axe FX?

3. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Mainly because I don't use a lot of effects and was more interested in accurate representation of a clean amp. I'm sure Axe FX does that well too, but I'm a bit nervous of modelling software having been disappointed with it in the past. The profiling aspect seemed different and interesting.

4. 4514

4514 Tele-Holic

I know this is an old thread, but if this is a Community reference then I applaud you. I'm also considering getting the Kemper profile. In an ideal world I'd get the rack version and put it in a 6U case with my Furman AR-1215 and a Shure UR4D wireless receiver, then control it with an RJM Mastermind GT 16 and two Mission Engineering EP1-KP's for wah/volume/whammy/etc, then monitor it all with a pair of Yamaha HS8's.

My question for you is how many switchable effects can I have per patch? For example, if I had a Marshall JCM800 patch that I really liked, could I kick a phaser in on the intro, then a tremolo in the pre-chorus, then a dirt box on in the solo? I've done a good amount of research on the amp but I don't know how the effects section works. Also, what do you use to control it on stage?

Thanks

ROLLY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.