Kelton Swade..R.I.P.

ab2012

Tele-Holic
To some on this forum,he is not fondly thought of. I did play two of his guitars and I thought they were great. COVID and pneumonia. Leaves behind wife and children.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Maybe not well thought of - but he sold some guitars to a few people - and he sort of had a reputation - whatever that might be.

See Ya Around Kelton!

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Regardless of anyone's opinions of his business ethics, this is a tragedy for his family. It's not like he was a mass murderer or anything.

I had no idea who this guy was until I opened up this thread and, after doing a little searching, it's clear that he had more issues than just his business ethics, and I have a hunch how his final chapter probably played out.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Regardless of what some people seem to think of him , he made good guitars. I believe Keith Urban has a Brownie Telecaster made by Swade after losing several guitars in the Nashville floods. Now Kelton can RIP.

rsquare

TDPRI Member
I own one of the last guitars he made.

A wonderful person and very skilled luthier. I had no idea about his health challenges. This strat in the pic is, I can assure all, a truly incredible instrument.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I only played one of his guitars, but it had me trying to figure a way to get it.
It was a relic-ed Tele, but it really sounded great, played perfectly, and looked cool.
It was over $4000, at Austin Guitar House, and I couldn’t raise the scratch.
RIP, sir.

ultrasun

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I only played one of his guitars, but it had me trying to figure a way to get it.
It was a relic-ed Tele, but it really sounded great, played perfectly, and looked cool.
It was over $4000, at Austin Guitar House, and I couldn’t raise the scratch.
RIP, sir.
Same story here. That Tele sounded incredible, like a dream Tele. But it was as expensive as a custom shop. A copy should never be as expensive as an original, but that's not how the market works.
R.I.P.