Keith Urban "Clarence" tribute build - 40th anniversary telecaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by kgguitarplayer, Jun 3, 2015.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks, you guys, for working that out.

kgguitarplayer, I think your tele's cool. I, too, wondered about the Clarence name, because until now I hadn't known that Keith Urban had a guitar named that. I, too, think that's odd, but he can call his guitar anything he wants, and of course so can you.

2. kgguitarplayer

kgguitarplayer Tele-Meister

I'm not sure if that link will work, may have to copy and paste it into your browser. It's a short video of him talking about the guitar and why he named it what he did. Has some nice sounding playing in it too. His guitar went through the Nashville flood back a few years ago and this video was taken shortly after it was repaired.

3. kgguitarplayer

I fixed the issue with the volume not cutting off, it was a bad solder joint on the third lug of the volume pot. Thanks David! Also got the two string trees put on tonight. Only other thing on the to do list is to possible put some different saddles on. Not sure yet...

4. David_Maas

David_Maas Tele-Meister

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner to affirm the way to ground the vol pot, but you've seem to have managed ;)

You could also have soldered a small jumper wire from the 3rd lug to the back of the pot, but I like it better this way.

Have fun playing it!

5. tersec

tersec TDPRI Member

Cool story.

6. kgguitarplayer

It's fine, thanks for the help! The guitar has tons of punch to it, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Both of my esquires seem to have more "umph" to them than my other teles. I wonder if this is a coincidence or if not having the neck pickup wired up affects it somehow?

7. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Keiths are only chrome/grayish because the gold coloring flaked off from him playing/plam muting. I think I'd just leaving it and let it flake eventually as it gets wear and breaks in.

8. kgguitarplayer

So he changed them from the original gray saddles that came on the 40th tele? Cause here's what his guitar originally looked like

Attached Files:

9. kgguitarplayer

I could be wrong, I just always assumed they were the original gray saddles

10. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

From what I've read that seems to be the case - however they do look pretty evenly worn if that is the case. maybe try sanding the side of one of your saddles and see if the finish comes off? And if it does then you can do that to the tops and all sides. saves buying new ones

11. kgguitarplayer

Well I already have some saddles from an old build that would be fine for the job, so I could put those on. I'm having trouble with the high E string being a little quieter than the other five strings and I wonder if that is a problem with the saddle. Or it could be pickup height maybe. I may change the saddles just to see if that fixes the problem. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable to me when I strike the string so it's sorta annoying.

12. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

I would just run through a basic setup - set the action to a comfortable place and then set pickup heights to fenders recommendations depending on the pickup. usually around 2-2.5mm I believe (taking a guess from memory). If that doesn't fix the problem- maybe swap a string or the saddles since you have them on hand.

13. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

kgguitarplayer,
    A question from a newb learning the mod thing, which I like. I'm a tinkerer. Got the 1 pick up deal, but, how come the two empty places for two missing pup's? Why not the Esquire look, or you wanted to get as close to KU's Tele as possible? Like I said, just asking, as I am curious on builds. Thanks. And damn nice work.

14. kgguitarplayer

Slider, thanks I'm happy with it! I set out determined to make this a tribute to that guitar, since I've always loved how it sounds. I have another esquire, so I wanted something a little different too. A lot of people will probably look at it and hate it and wonder why in the world I left two empty holes in the pickguard, but I'm fine with that since it's a build I've been wanting to do for several years. And hey, if I ever get tired of the look then I can slap a tele neck pickup in it and add a strat pup in the middle (routed for strat) so there's always that option. I figure it's a win win scenario for me

15. Slidertom

Slidertom Tele-Meister

As expected kg, the right answer. Thanks. Now, go and enjoy the heck out of that baby.
    This has given me an idea or two of what I want to do.

16. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

Any videos of it coming out soon?

17. bancika

bancika TDPRI Member

Very classy, love the looks of it. I'm near to finish my travel guitar build with very similar finish and hardware.

18. kgguitarplayer

That's one of the great things about this forum, we can show off our own builds and at the same time give others ideas on something different that they can do themselves. The world needs more teles! More teles! More teles!

19. kgguitarplayer

Thanks and that's awesome, I'm sure it looks great! Look forward to seeing the build thread!

20. kgguitarplayer

I'll try to record something in the next day or two. Been busy helping out a friend get things ready for his wedding for the last week or so, sorry for the delay!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.