Keith Richards: Why I Hardly Ever Use Effect Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Frank'n'censed, May 18, 2017.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Other than every lick Chuck Berry ever played, you mean?

RoyBGood, cyclopean, Golem and 11 others like this.
  2. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Keith is being a little disingenuous here though too. He did a lot more with effects pedals than he's copping to. It wasn't just the fuzz on Satisfaction. There's phaser all over "Beast of Burden" and "Miss You, " for example. That's a big part of what makes the guitar tone on those songs cool. If he doesn't want to be bothered with any of that anymore, that's fine, but he built plenty of his career with them. It wasn't just a lark.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    cyclopean, Golem, artdecade and 6 others like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gosh this topic is tired. We must have dropped below the forum rule - no less than three active threads on the moral superiority of plugging straight in?

For a good musician, number of pedals has ZERO bearing.

No pedals is not a barometer of quality or skill, or how good one will sound. Period. A crappy musician can make a '54 Tele into a Tweed Deluxe sound boring or overdone as well. Is it an ego thing with the "straight in" purists? I just don't get it.

Here - I declare those who don't use pedals better, more pure and deserving of adulation. Can we all move on now?

By the way, I agree with @atomfissure. In fact, I feel like the quote should have said: "Because I have a tech backstage using them for me. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa!"

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    cyclopean, Iago, artdecade and 12 others like this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Horses for courses... I like Keef's horse.

Plenty of people get great tone with big pedal boards also.

5. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Priceless bit of wisdom.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree that with pedals less is more, usually. That said, there are great pros who use pedals well. They also have good stagecraft: no one but guitar players even notice them stepping on them, and they aren't just staring down at their board and tap dancing. When pedals get in the way of performance rather than enhance it is when there's a problem, IMO

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

His songwriting talent & bank account, have always made me nervous

8. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

And recommend me one. ;)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  9. TeleAnthony

TeleAnthony Tele-Meister

+1

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This was incredibly well crafted. 10/10

6BQ5 likes this.
  11. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Amen! I often wonder if the straight-in evangelists run around restaurants chastizing people for using condiments.

This is probably the only topic more tiresome than one about tonewoods, or the "recommend me a transparent overdrive" threads.

Iago, RLee77, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  12. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

'transparent overdrive' = your volume control.

Johnson johnson and FattoneTele like this.
  13. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

I stand corrected. The moral superiority of plugging straight in is far and away more tiresome.

cyclopean, jholcomb and MilwMark like this.
  14. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, but what you're missing here is that I'm always right. And I'm the best guitarist in the world.

15. arielyitus

arielyitus Tele-Meister

Yes, you are the best!:twisted:

hemingway likes this.
  16. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I don't see anything wrong with that. He's just stating his personal preference. Some of us mere mortals do want to change our sound once in a while; Keef doesn't. Big deal.

17. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

I love Keith to death. But you have to take everything Keith says with a gigantic grain of salt. He's a storyteller and the story's relationship with reality is always loose at best.

As others have noted, there's a decent amount of effects going on with a lot of his greatest hits. He crafts the story like he invented effects pedals with Satisfaction and then decided "okay, did that" and moved on. Which isn't remotely true on several fronts, but makes for a great story (and conveniently aggrandizes his role in musical history).

I wish people around here would have Derek Trucks attitude about things. He only uses a tuner, but he's the first to admit that's just become his thing. It's not better or worse, it just is. It's what HE feels comfortable with, nothing more, nothing less. He loves Hendrix. He loves Duane's tone with a fuzz pedal on dimples. Be he has just made a choice about his signal path. But he certainly doesn't tell his wife she is a soulless pedal pusher because she uses pedals.

People here like to act like pedals are an admission laid on the floor of inferior musicianship.

Iago, pelle31, djh22 and 5 others like this.
  18. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

I have a pedalboard, but I don't know how to use it.

19. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Well, if I had bought up every specimen of the holy grail amp i.e hi powered twin, from the mid 50s, I wouldn't need no stinking distortion pedal either. Seriously the sound of those amps is what distortion pedals were designed to emulate. He keeps one on clean and one pushed for distortion.

Plus he only plays on large stages except when he's clubbing. Put him in a garage with a budget for a Peavey amp and he'd be running to the store for a TS808.

20. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

Also, doing some fairly minimal research, as recently as 2010 he was using pedals, it's just that they were rack mounted and controlled by his tech. Couldn't find any more recent info, other than just Keith rambling in story teller mode without real actual specifics.

It's also completely possible Keith has no idea what is going on with his signal after the guitar. Everything I've ever read about how he works these days is that his tech hands him stuff and does stuff to his amps and rack and Keith just says yes or no.

dlew919 and T-Bone like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.