Keif’s teles / Also happy bday Leo Fender!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RhythmFender, Aug 10, 2020.

1. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

2. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Happy birthday Leo! Without you, sex and drugs would be missing something... ;)

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was once within plucking distance of Micawber.

Back in 2014 and 2015, I was involved with Jay Jay French working on what was called the Pinkburst Project. Jay Jay had approached most of the major guitar companies and had them produce custom shop models of their most iconic guitars, finished in the style of Jay Jay's 'Pinkburst' Les Paul Standard - two-tone pink finish, with bound neck and trapezoid fret markers. Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Gretsch and Martin all participated, along with Roukangas Guitars from the 'new school.' A bunch of amp manufacturers joined in as well, building their most iconic amps with hot pink Tolex.

These guitars and amps were put up for auction at an auction house in Boston with the proceeds going to the Ocuvitis Foundation. As Twisted's webmaster, I built the site for the auction, worked on publicity for the auction, and was the unofficial gear wrangler for the photo session for the auction catalog, at the Manhattan studio of photographer John Peden.

For two days I helped set up the group and individual shots of the guitars, and the guitar-amp pairings that eventually went to auction. While we were on a break the second day, John said 'Wanna see something cool?' We went to another part of the studio, where there was a mostly-wrecked tweed Fender case. John undid the latches and opened the case.

Micawber.

It turned out that John had photographed Keith a number of times before, and he was coming in for another session later that week and had Micawber shipped to the studio ahead of his arrival.

I was stunned. I got to look at it close up in all its beautiful nastiness. I had to take a shot, so I turned to John and asked, 'Can I play it?'

'No,' John said, and closed the case. Got that close...

Happy Birthday, Leo. Thanks for the cool guitars. Even the one I didn't get to play.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.