1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Keeping enamel from dent ?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by MojoTrwall, Nov 28, 2020.

1. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

You want something more fragile than nitro ?

Enamel on aluminium.

Does anyone have a tip for a really strong clear over enamel in order to keep it clean ?

Since I diy my pedal I like them to be hand painted (my gf do the job, and I'm very clumsy) I had this huge part that went off on a swirl.

IMG_20201128_234029.jpg
    IMG_20201128_234021.jpg

And this enclosure too

IMG_20201128_234512.jpg

I had better success with acrylic in durability but it's harder to get good color with it.

IMG_20201128_234859.jpg

Is there a way to get a really hard finish with a clear on enamel ?

I'm using Johnson Klir (it might be a différent thing for the same name in this us) over it, which is a tip from scale model.

Any advice ?

Attached Files:

2. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

Start by sanding the aluminum box with #400 sandpaper to give the paint something to hold on to. Then clean it thoroughly. 90% alcohol, Naptha, Acetone all work well on aluminum. Use latex or Nirtile gloves to prevent oil from your hands from contaminating the metal box.

Then use a metal primer paint designed for aluminum. Some automotive primers are 'self etching', meaning they chemically bind into the metal, promoting adhesion.

Then apply your finish design.

After the finish is completely dry, apply light coats of a clear finish compatible with the paint used for the design.

You will need to experiment with finish compatibility. Sometimes incompatible paints will cause the previously applied paint to wrinkle up or peel off.

Try to keep the total paint thickness as thin as possible. Often times chipping is due to very thick layers of paint.

Make friends with someone who knows about automotive refinishing. Since you are working with a metal box, many of the techniques used in auto repainting will apply to your projects.

Good Luck!!

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Nope. Applying a hard coating over a soft one can cause the topcoat to deform; and if the previous coat is soft it's likely too thick and has trapped solvents. The hard coating will make the situation worse under heat, causing delamination, blistering, and "honeycoming " of the color coat.

The problem really lies with the color coat of enamel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.