Keeping Distortion at Loud Volumes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Baseball 100, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Baseball 100

Baseball 100 TDPRI Member

Hi,

I used to play a lot live with a Peavy twin amp. It never had a problem filling a room with a nice full distortion. The amp is long gone and I'm playing out again, but am having a tough time getting any amp (whether in practice or live) keeping the full distortion tone at full band volume. I use a 150w Blackstar so it should be able to handle it but gets so muddy.

The pedals I use don't make very much difference when I switch it on - which greatly reduces the big sound effect for when a song goes from quiet to loud (Smells like Teen Spirit, Sister Christian, etc). When I play at much quieter volumes at home, it sounds awesome.

Any ideas on how to address short of buying a big amp I don't want to lug around? I can't mic the amp at a lot of the gigs we play.

2. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Tone Master Twin Reverb. Big volume, 33 pounds. That should stay fairly clean all the way up, then put a pedal in front of it for distortion. Plus, it has power settings for home use.

Maybe not what you were asking?

Baseball 100 likes this.
  3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

...or was lugging a big amp more about size than weight?

4. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like the amp is faulty. Blackstars can great dirty amps. Maybe take it to a tech? If not an eq pedal can shape your distortion into you like.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

Cheaply? A HRdlx or a SS Peavey. You gotta lug those a bit. Best sounding options are heavy, cheapest options are also heavy.

Are you opposed to a head and single 12" cab? Might be the best way to find the "oomph" without feeling like you're transporting a boat anchor.

I think jet city and Marshall have 20 something watt offerings in tube. Everyone loves Katanas too, if you want not too pricey SS.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, the louder you play, the more you can turn the OD gain down. If you leave it where it would be playing quiet... yes... it will get too nasty when real loud. JMHO Of course every pedal and amp are different, some amps react bad to too much input and some dont that much.

ThermionicScott and 41144 like this.
  7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You're using too much gain / drive. Like schmee said above.

Frickin thing probably sounds like a beehive.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Baseball 100 .... with an id150 .... you haven't accidently/unintentionally switched it into stereo mode?
    ... and like @schmee intimated, not every amp likes running with everything maxed!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.