Keep the chimney?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scelestus, Jul 31, 2021.

1. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

Our house was built in 1926. We don't use the fireplace, though the inspector when we purchased it said it could probably be used with minimal or no updating.

A few years in we had a leak around the chimney and I had it reflashed. Problem solved.

Then about 4 years ago I saw some spalling on the brick in the walk-up attic. I had the top of the chimney rebuilt and a new cap installed.

Now there are some small leaks again and the (different) roofing company says the flashing on the new chimney top was done improperly. They can fix it, but for not much more they could remove the top of the chimney to below the roofline and roof right over it.

I have half a mind to go that way and install an electric fireplace insert. The new furnace vents elsewhere, too, so the chimney might not be necessary.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If you ever get what Texas got last winter you might wish you could make a fire.
    Hard to get firewood in an emergency of course but there are reasons to keep the function available.

Mouth, MickM, scook and 8 others like this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Take it off, especially if it no longer serves a purpose.

nojazzhere and scelestus like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We have been desperately trying to contact you to let you know that your home warranty is due to expire! Seriously, if the house is almost a hundred years old, and you aren't using the fireplace do away with it. If you plan on selling though anywhere in the foreseeable future, you might want to have the WHOLE fireplace refurbished instead of just piecemealing it. Someone interested in a house of a vintage nature would probably want the fireplace and want it working.

5. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is your water heater gas and where does it vent?

6. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Meister

Last night I turned on our gas log fireplace for the first time and it worked great but left a super toxic odor throughout the house. I ventilated the whole house with open doors when it was on so I wouldn’t gas us with the smell.
    Our house was built in 1972 but I will never turn on the fireplace again.
    It will be useful for hanging Christmas decorations from but that’s about it. Good luck with your decision.

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and scelestus like this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

You don’t get what you want if you lock Santa out.

8. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

The only gas appliance is the furnace, and it's pretty new. It has a special vent out of the side of the house.

9. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

I've had two knocked down and roofed over...at two different homes. One bc the fireplace was a 1920s and damaged...the other bc I couldn't find a roofer willing to re-flash the stone chimney. While having a fireplace would be nice in an emergency, we just don't use them otherwise. I will probably put a gas vent-less insert in this one eventually, but it is not a priority.

10. Toto'sDad

Like that guy on the tv insurance commercial "THAT'S WHAT THEY DO!" They set the flame to look like a flame, and there is just too much fuel in the mixture, and not enough air to get that red flame licking at the logs look. We have completely abandoned using our gas fireplace for that reason. Ours has two switches on it as kind of a failsafe. I don't know if it's dangerous to use, but it can sure stink up the house. If we do use it, we only have it on about an hour at most. I haven't even tried it in the last two or three years, might give it a go when it cools off. The idea is great, no logs to gather, no ashes to haul, but they don't give off much heat, and they stink to boot.

PS:

I'm editing to this to reflect that our home was built in 2005 and had the latest in conforming to regulations, and the fireplace has stunk since we moved in.

Archtops and scelestus like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Your chimney’s about as useful as a trailer hitch on a hearse. You know what to do.

12. Toto'sDad

Welllll.

[​IMG]

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t care how much of his stuff they throw on top of the casket, he can’t take it with him.

14. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

OK - I'll be the contrarian. You're in Michigan and have cold winters. While you don't use the fireplace, a future buyer might. It's better to maintain your home than devalue it, and who knows - a clumsy internal capping of the chimney could be a deal breaker for a future buyer.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Might determine if it would devalue the home given the age. Might be a desirable feature for whomever inherits or buys the home.

16. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

We like our fireplaces in Winter around here. It’s kinda romantic and keeps you warm + keeps the mold away. Very natural, dry heat.
    But if it’s not working, have it rebuilt or removed.

Deeve and Archtops like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

As a nightly guest of an inveterate HGTV watcher, I know that people who are looking to buy a hundred year old house are looking for charming features reflecting character in their homes. I can't imagine someone wanting to buy a "charming" home of that age without a fireplace. After thinking it over, I'd fix it. Not patch it, FIX IT! Fix is so good that you could throw a goat on there and roast him hide hair and all.

Doorlord, drewg, MickM and 6 others like this.
  18. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Flashing shouldn't be that big of a deal (expense) to fix. You sure you don't have any need for tuckpointing the mortar?

Count me in the keep it camp, although I have a gas fire going on many an evening during the winter.

19. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

We installed gas logs, and we love them. When we lose power in the winter, we use them for heat, and they can throw it out. We don't worry about having real logs cut, keeping them burning, or the clean up.

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When we started reno on this house (2014...the house was built in 1992), we got quotes on removing the existing fireplace/chimney. We knew we'd never use it...and the extra space would be nice.

$15k just to demo it. So...it is a decorative element now. We had it inspected, it just needs cleaning and fire. Don't own any firewood...

Archtops and scelestus like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.