Keep Tele or Strat?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Spanking Six, Oct 11, 2019.

1. 1952stuff

1952stuff TDPRI Member

I had 2 sunburst 62 strats and stupidly sold them both...I bought them in 66 for a song....I can only imagine how they'd feel today. I also have an Amer St Tele...very heavily modified and solid bodies do not sound much better then that thing. That being said , with this amt.of info...I would tend to keep the Strat for it's versatility. So subjective....sometimes you just love a guitar.....it could be anything...look at Willie nelson...Under all the money etc...I believe he has a soul investment in that beat up old teddy bear of his.....orlike agirlfriend....maybe you are seeing somebody new but one tends to remember "the one that got away"....beware that my friend....and of course your on a tele forum......cold technicals...I'd probably take the Strat...BUT....again BUT......if you really love something about the Tele...that is your guide post.......maybe it's got a sweet spot or an great neck ....whatever......In the end your answer is not technical....as is the greatest music....it's what it does for YOU.....and you are the ONLYperwson that can answer it...anyway with two vintage great guitars...neither decision sounds disastrous...I'm replying late ...hope this helps a little...go with your gut and don't second guess that....

2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Congratulations, you've just won the stupidest post I've ever seen award

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    micpoc likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Cingritiliitiins, yii'vi jist win thi stipidist pist I'vi ivir siin iwird

[​IMG]

Sure? I don't think so

Yo must be a Beatles fan or worst

4. Amos

Amos Tele-Meister

If you're just playing at home, keep the Strat. More comfy and easier to play.

I mostly use my Tele for live gigs where I'm out front, such as country (always) or rock where I'm doing most of the lead and rhythm work. It just cuts through better. When I'm playing mostly rhythm or need to lay back in the mix, such as when there are more instruments, I'll usually grab the Strat. It plays well with others, offers more tone options, and my playing is more "automatic" with the Strat (the notes just seem to come out by themselves). The Tele is just a bit more challenging to play.

5. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Yep !

6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Clip coupons, get a second job, cut out all unnecessary expenses (yes, cable), turn down/up the thermostat, eat cheap food, no going out, find other things to sell... There has to be a way....

7. timtheshredder

timtheshredder TDPRI Member

This doesn't really help you much, but you should just go back and forth with each for a week and play them. Compare what you like and dislike. Then, most importantly, try to make them sound like the other.

I think you'll find that the Strat is a little more versatile than the tele in that regard. It all comes down to preference and what type of music you want to play, but I would say keep the Strat. You can do more with it. Just my opinion.

Play them both and you'll find yourself gravitating towards one over the other given enough time.

8. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

You had to know when you asked that question on this site it was going to be a real Donnybrook with really only one final answer..................................

Gary

9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

ALWAYS......ALWAYS.......ALWAYS A TELE!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.