Keep Tele or Strat?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Spanking Six, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've played both.

The neck on that particular Tele you have would be the number one reason I would choose that over the Strat.

gwjensen likes this.
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, like I said, I've never tried myself. But from many posts I've read here, it would seem that simply adding a baseplate to your bridge pickup, consciously changing where your pick hand picks/rests (different on each guitar as a consequence of their shape and how they sit on a strap) and perhaps modding your wiring to include neck + bridge as an option would get your Strat sounding reasonably Tele-ish.

On the other hand, I would think a Tele would require a different neck pickup (one of the main attractions of a Strat; Tele neck pickups are great but not typically Strat-like) and the addition of a middle pickup (for the quack tones) to get somewhat Stratty. Not to mention the effect of a Strat's trem bridge on the guitar's tone, particularly if you like it floating); to easy way to fake that (vs. decking and blocking a Strat's trem to get a more Tele-like response). This would be considerably more complex (routing the body and cutting a hole in a pickguard) and expensive (easily $100 for two pickups) than a cheap metal plate and a little time spent soldering.

But again, this is just me theorizing based on others' accounts. It also depends on what the player in question likes about the guitar they're trying to emulate (e.g. if you don't care for the Strat's quack tones, you don't need to worry about a middle pickup on your Tele). And I don't suspect you'll get 100% there in either case.

3. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

I think you spent too much money for your guitars. No offense meant. Nothing wrong with expensive guitars, but here you are having to sell one. You know which one you like best right? Only you know that. you are on a telecaster forum so you aren't among a whole bunch of strat lovers here. Generally speaking of course. I bet a lot of guys here have both.
    What I have are less expensive, perfectly wonderful guitars. A mexican standard tele or strat won't cost so much, and they are nice.
    I am stupid and have too expensive for me guitars and I also have some Squire classic vibe teles and strats, MY usa strats and tele's get less play time than my mexican strats or tele's. Much less. Where I live, I can't sell anything which is my dilemma. I would have to drive 120 miles to get a box and then ship it to someone. I won't sell anything on ebay, and our 60 miles away craigslsist isn't doing well either. No one locally wants a guitar. I have literally tried to give a couple away after no one wanting to guy one..
    One guy here said to sell them both and buy a less expensive guitar. I agree.
    But choosing between a tele OR a strat.. I would pick a strat, but no one is forcing me to choose. I want both, and variations of them..lol Good luck with your dilemma.Go to a strat forum and ask there. They are both great guitars. But Fender guitars tend to be kind of the same features wise. I love my mexican standard strats and teles. They don't make those anymore which I really don't understand. But i am glad I have mine.
    Remember great players can play cheap guitars and so can not so great players like me. Much of the tone is in your amp and mostly your hands. My usa american standard is my least favorite telecaster and the same for my american standard strat. Go figure. I am not a pro either and I only play at home, for myself. Drive to my house and I will sell you a good playing guitar real cheap. I might even give you one if you are in dire need of cash to live on.

4. NorCoastViking

NorCoastViking TDPRI Member

My .02 portion of a dollar...
    I sold a sweet Tele (ya, slap me...) to buy a spotless 2013 USA Strat Deluxe, a year-and-some-change ago. Nice axe, lovely to behold, some tricks to get the sound(s) I was hoping to get (part of that is my amp, also soon on CL)—but regretfully, I say, she will be going to Craigslist next week. Why? Because, try as I may, I simply cannot avoid that #*%! volume knob on a wide strum—I will turn myself waaaaay down, if not off, every time. I want to relax a bit in my playing, not keep a constant eye, and hand placement configuration, to keep from tagging that knob. Ya, I could use several means to snug it down tight, but I don’t want a tight v-knob. Sorry, I’m over it—anyone got a nice, USA Tele, three-tone burst, or two-tone tobacco burst, with a Rosewood or ebony fretboard for trade? PM me...

5. UjwalB

UjwalB TDPRI Member

I woukd keep the Strat.
    If it was a hardtail strat, I wouldn't bother and keep the telecaster instead.

6. die Fliege

die Fliege TDPRI Member

You’re not going to like my advice, but here it is, so brace yourself. Sell both the Strat and Tele, and get a Les Paul.

7. luckyno888

luckyno888 TDPRI Member

Do what Brent Mason did.

8. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

keep the gold one

9. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

That's not an easy choice. I think my decision would depend on what type of music I liked to play. I might lean toward the Strat as it is more versatile even though I don't own one but own 2 Teles...

10. airgordon

airgordon TDPRI Member

Idk if you need cash fast but 2,000 guitars don't sell that fast. You might consider letting the market decide by putting them both up for sale and keeping the one that doesn't sell first. Just an idea.

11. amp-shark

amp-shark NEW MEMBER!

Over my decades of 3-chord hacking and inept lead accomplishment, I started with a Les Paul DeLuxe, and worked my way through some P-90 and humbucker hollowbodies before I finally got my first Strat - a mid-90's USA Classic model. My first impression after getting my "quack" fetish stroked was, WHERE'S THE BEEF, that Strat was so thin sounding, even if I got those wonderful Buddy Holly tones I always cherished. When I complained about my love lost on the Strat to my luthier, he informed me that some guys love Strats and some guys hate them - skinny necks, thin sounding p.u.'s, STUPID VOLUME KNOB placed where only an immaculate wimp-picker would prescribe (thanks a lot, Bill Carson - no slag, R.I.P.!) - RIGHT SMACK IN MY THRASH-ZONE - YEESH!! So that is where I learned, I ain't no Strat guy. When I finally got a vintage Tele copy by Charvel-Jackson USA, THAT WAS AN EPITOME REVELATION TO ME.

I always knew the Telecaster was an icon of music - as is the Stratocaster - don't get me wrong - I LOVE THE STRAT: sexy jet-age body, sculpted features, THREE pu's, colors galore, classic headstock, myriad of Hall of Fame players - but alas it's not for me. BUT GIMME THAT CHEAP PLANK WITH A CLUB NECK AND TELE BRIDGE, I can install a fuller neck pu or middle pu if I want - NOTHING EVEN COMPARES to that spanky-clean Classic Tone of Leo's Broadcaster lead pickup in my book, for classic electric guitar tone. SIMPLE - PURE - UNCLUTTERED - WORLD'S FIRST MASS PRODUCED AFFORDABLE ELECTRIC GUITAR DESIGN - LEO FENDER GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!! Unfortunately, SRV or Hendrix I will never be... But I can cover everything from Zeppelin to Cash and metal to blues to country and back again with a good modded Tele!

but I gotta have a P-90 or humbucker when I need some BEEF
    SO MANY GUITARS, SO MUCH G.A.S.
    the guitar-player's-conundrum
    and then, there are AMPLIFIERS - LOL!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I think I would get a part time job at the local Tim Horton's to earn the money and keep them both.

gwjensen likes this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

If it is an issue where you need to raise cash, by all means, sell either one and once you are back in decent financial footing, buy another. I would keep the Telecaster personally as I seem to come across more Strat deals than Tele deals. The only reason I would sell my guitars is to either buy food or pay rent. Any other reason seems dumb, but that's just me.

14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

This is true. The Vintera are great guitars. I got the 70's strat I had to send my first one back because the truss rod was maxed, strung with nines and I couldn't get the neck any closer to spec than. 012 relief. Wasn't going to work for tens. Second one is a keeper. The pickups are some thing else. The bridge pickup sounds just like my 79 strat, and the neck and middle sound even better than the 79. The neck pickup really sings. There was some overspray on the fretboard about the 7th fret area. I removed it with some micro mesh. I always expect little annoyances like that from Fender Mexico. I did get a good deal on it though at $820 dollars. So a little clear on the FB wouldn't be enough to send it back. It is also the first MIM I've ever bought that didn't have any of the screw holes stripped. That's been an issue with several Fender Mexico and Squiers that I've bought in the last year.

gwjensen likes this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

Im a strat talk refugee and i told him over at ST that were it me, Id keep the Telecaster.

16. JBurton

JBurton Tele-Meister

Unless, like me you have a deep love for all things Tele beyond any other model, I'd go with keeping the more versatile Strat. Especially if your style of play is broad.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Is that a silly series name? They'll probably have a Real Vintage 50s and Real Deal 50s series next. o_O

18. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

This isn't a bad idea.
    To me, its a question of the tremolo and preferred pickup positions. If you don't use the trem, a tele sounds better to my ears for not having it. If you do use it, then obviously you'll miss it if you only have a tele.

For positions, I prefer the middle position on a tele to either 2/4 positions on a strat. You may be the opposite. Given equal quality pickups, I'd also argue tele's will have a much more impressive bridge sound. I think most would agree. To many people, the strat neck wins over the tele neck, but I'd argue that's preference given good pickups.

19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If I needed money badly, I would put them both up for sale. When one of them sells, I would pull the other from the market, and that would be my guitar.
    I have been in your situation many times. Material possessions come and go. I live on. You will live on, and still have a nice electric Fender guitar.

20. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

If it were me, in your situation, I would keep the tele. But it is really up to what's in your heart.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.