Keep Tele or Strat?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Spanking Six, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Put them both up for sale. If one sells, keep the other. If you get reasonable offers for both at the same time, sell them both and find cheaper MIM versions of each... or maybe just get a Nashville Tele. I don't know much about them but with that middle pickup, and maybe a mod or two, it might have the best of both worlds. If the neck isn't fat enough (both of your guitars have necks with substantial girth) buy a Baja neck from the Stratosphere on eBay.

I'd say you have lots of options.

I have an AO 50s Strat in Aztec gold, and that's quite a special guitar... especially the neck. Not sure you'll find any MIM Strats with that kind of neck. A CV 50s Tele would be a good inexpensive alternative for the AO Tele.

Good luck!

Johnnypops and Sporqueman like this.
  2. Dan Krawiec

Dan Krawiec TDPRI Member

3. Dan Krawiec

Dan Krawiec TDPRI Member

I love the neck pickup on a tele. I really don't like the middle pickup on a strat -especially if playing with your fingers.
    The simplicity of a tele is very appealing, and it stays in tune. Do you need a trem bar? Nah....

4. mentele

mentele TDPRI Member

If you like the sound of a Tele but prefer the comfort of a Strat, and are not fixated on tradition, how about a Fender Parallel Universe Whiteguard Strat. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but a damn fine looking, sounding and playing guitar in my 'umble opinion. Unfortunately, it'll have to be blond. I'm pretty sure there's a handy space under the guard for a middle pickup, should that be your thing. It's also got the slightly chunkier 50ish neck. I used to grump at the idea of flatter fingerboards, 22 frets (about five too many for me) and a truss rod adjustment at the sensible end of the neck but my head has been turned. Hell, I've even got an iPhone6!

P1030281.jpg 6!

jimilee, RYAN1987M and Sporqueman like this.
  5. Telesaurus

Telesaurus Tele-Meister

Nice offer If you could work this out under a legal binding document, this sounds like the way to go & a very nice generous offer Legally,this would fall under a no interest loan.Face to face,ID verification,etc

Johnnypops likes this.
  6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Meister

Sell both and buy a Baja Tele

7. steviemac

steviemac TDPRI Member

I would keep the Tele but replace the pickups with a set from Vintage Vibe Guitars....be sure to order the controls & 5-way switch....my favorite Tele setup ever and I’ve played many in my career...

8. Concrete Sea66

Concrete Sea66 TDPRI Member

Well plenty of folks have been laid off where I live, never know if my turn is next week either. If I can help a guy out with a couple grand for a bit that's cool. Rather that then someone taking a bath on a forced sale.
    As for all the legal stuff, maybe I'm a middle-aged fool but I wasn't thinking of gobs of paperwork needed if the dollars exchanged is pretty close to new price, It's not like it's a $60K vintage 50's tele.
    I was actually considering buying this same guitar but a clean AVRI showed up locally so I grabbed it. Either way I'm happy if I can help someone out.

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Keep the Strat

Better yet borrow money with small payment terms you can live with, and keep them both, look you aren't going to be able to get thousands for either one.

I would wait it out. But if either had to go the BBS TL would be the one I would sell. Gonna be hard to replace an Aztec Gold Strat, eventhough it will likely bring the most money.

10. The Spanking Six

The Spanking Six TDPRI Member

You are a true gent. Seriously.

11. Teledactyl

Teledactyl TDPRI Member

Keep the Tele...put a TV Jones Starwood in the neck.

12. adamstrings

adamstrings TDPRI Member

I may have the BEST answer for you. A friend of mine advised(when I got my Strat) to have the selector for the pups re-routed in the following way;
    I'm not at all a technical guy, but here goes-
    1st pos-bridge
    2nd-bridge w/ neck
    3rd-neck
    4th-middle and neck
    5th-middle
    if you do this with your Strat the 2nd pos. sounds a lot like the middle position for a Tele. Even though I favor the Tele for sounds and simplicity having that 2nd position changes everything. HOWEVER, if you actually like the in between sounds on a Strat forget my idea.

13. Plectrumpusher

Plectrumpusher TDPRI Member

I wonder why you have to sell one in the first place? If i had to make that painful choice i would keep the work horse the Telecaster. If you need a wammy bar you could always fit one and thats my final answer.

14. joey pinter

joey pinter TDPRI Member

man, that sucks, it's like someone asking if you had two kids in a house fire but you can only take one out.

15. SkinnyAss

SkinnyAss TDPRI Member

I feel your pain! Picking for nearly 60 years now on my Danelectro, Tele, Strat, bass, classicals, 6 & 12 string acoustics, 5-string banjo, ukelele, mandolin & fiddles, I truly love all of my children, almost as much as my dog loves me.

I like the idea of swapping out your better half on a cheaper model, but that could prove even more difficult than getting rid of your child.

If it were me, I would consider letting my dog make the choice. Leaving both on stands, I would keep whichever one he pees on.

16. denniscariot

denniscariot NEW MEMBER!

The list of guitars I "had to" get rid of?

'59 Strat, one of the first slabboards
    '63 Tele, binding and sunburst
    '68 Tele, factory bigsby
    '57 Gibson ES-175
    '73 Strat hardtail

I wish I still had every one of them. Get a part time job delivering pizza, anything to not sell a guitar you love.

That '63 is the one that kills me most. first guitar I paid for with my own money and it was a killer guitar.

17. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, that about covers it.

18. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an American standard HSS Strat which I loved for 25 years until I got an American Elite Series Tele a year or so ago.
    Current Amp: Blues Jr IV, no pedals.
    Since I got the Tele I rarely play the Strat, my Heritage 555 or my Les Paul Studio. I bring them out from time to time but after 15 minutes back to the Tele. It is special. I’m now planning on selling the other three guitars.
    Which do you go to first? Which do you play the longest time?

19. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I'd sell the strat and pick up a Player series in its place for about $600. I've been blown away by mine and have considered adding a Player Tele, but they have a belly cut and modern style bridge - neither of which I want in my tele. There are more options out there for similarly spec'd strats than similarly spec'd teles for your AOs, and that's what I'd be looking at. Which one can you more closely replace functionally?

20. jfiffik

jfiffik TDPRI Member

What a dilemma!!! I have both as well and they are different in play-ability and sound. My Strat has lace sensors and my Tele has that original 70s neck humbuck and sounds amazing!. I am saddened you have to make this choice and from several of the other posts here "Sell both. Buy a Tele and Strat for $1000 each. Use the extra $2000 for your need". seems most logical but certainly do not sell one based on the popular consensus.... Which one sings to you the most? which one is just butter every time? which one makes you smile when you hear that tone??? can you get along with just one???? I couldn't and would sell a kidney instead.... But that's just me. Have you thought about a go-fund me account?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.