Keep Tele or Strat?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Spanking Six, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic

I have both and love both. If I could only keep one, I’d keep a Telecaster.

2. RnB

RnB Tele-Meister

Put the Strat neck on the Tele & put a Strat pup in the neck position w/ new pkgd & keep the rest of the Tele as is.
    Part-out remaining Strat parts...

Attached Files:

3. Zuicey227

Zuicey227 TDPRI Member

Keep them both!

4. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Actually, it's an easy decision to make. How fast and for how much do you need to sell one of the guitars? If you need the money quickly and want a fair return on your investment, you have to sell the Telecaster. Telecasters sell much faster and for more money.

Strats are literally a dime a dozen; a dime a dozen! The market is absolutely over-bloated with every color, configuration, and brand of Strat-style guitar you can imagine. You will have a hard time moving it quickly and will get much less for it than you want, if you need to sell it quickly.

3bolt79, Telebeestar and RadioFM74 like this.
  5. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    If you might take a loss by selling either guitar in a quick sale, maybe consider taking a bank loan (not payday...) for the $2000 you need... While you will pay interest for the loan will that be more or less than the financial loss from selling your guitar when time is short?... Also, one day when you pay the off the loan you still be able to look into the room and see both guitars you love sitting there, not just one next to a empty stand...
    Tough choices, best of luck to you!

Telebeestar likes this.
  6. DonB52

DonB52 Tele-Meister

I might be overly biased, having played a tele for years, but I would keep the telecaster!

7. jiagap

jiagap TDPRI Member

Tough call. Love many of the responses thus far. Not only are there the differences, but most people also get some emotional love attachment to one over the other, or to a particular one - not just a strat, but MY particular strat. Thus just selling and buying a cheaper version may not be helpful.

My experience, and this will not help, but here goes. I have always loved strats and have owned a few over the years. I currently have a G&L Legacy American Made which I love. Never gravitated to Teles. One day I was in Guitar Center's used room. I saw a custom American made G&L ASAT. I picked it up and plugged it in. It called out my name, felt so right, played so well, and sounded so delicious. I bought it. Now I love BOTH my G&Ls and thankful I am not currently in position where I have to choose.

8. thinwhiteduke

thinwhiteduke NEW MEMBER!

keep the one you like the most mate

RadioFM74 and tfarny like this.
  9. dblazer

dblazer TDPRI Member

To keep it short, I had a great Tele that I had for 20 years, but I found that I was playing Strats more because I found rhem to be more comfortable to hold and play.

Keep the guitars that you play the most.

10. eyesopen

eyesopen NEW MEMBER!

There’s nothing else in the house you can sell instead? I’d personally keep the Strat. Aztec Gold is such a choice color, t’boot. Let us know what you decide.

11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

As someone who played a strat almost exclusively for 25 years, I know how hard it is to break away from them. You either love 'em or you hate 'em, and I still love 'em, but I play a Tele most often now.
    A Nashville type configuration is a good idea; I prefer neck and bridge p'ups on a 4-way with the middle p'up on a separate switch. Best of both worlds, imho. Probably doesn't help much.

12. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

13. Jeff87

Jeff87 TDPRI Member

Keep what is the most comfortable to play and feels the best. You can always change the pups in either if you choose to vary the sound. The Strat is more versatile to play most genres.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Keep the Tele. It can cover every guitar and every player from every era.
    Add the 4-way switch for LP series humbucking tones, maybe a strat neck pickup to cover the Strat tones.

15. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Meister

Sell 'em both and getcha a Les Paul!:p:eek::rolleyes::lol:

jimilee likes this.
  16. bmikejames

bmikejames TDPRI Member

You should keep the Tele. How much you want for the Strat? MJ

17. mesatone01

mesatone01 TDPRI Member

Keep the Strat. I love my Tele's but onstage the Strat is a lot more versatile.

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

How are you going to get 2k for either of those? Isn't that what they cost brand new? $1200 each and it might take a while, would be my take. I sold a PRS McCarty for $1400 that goes for $3800 new (I paid even less than that) - the fancier the guitar the bigger the hit.

If you really need two grand you might have to sell both of them and get a MIM guitar or a partscaster.

NewKid likes this.
  19. cliberg

cliberg NEW MEMBER!

Funny -- I would have said the exact opposite.

20. Concrete Sea66

Concrete Sea66 TDPRI Member

Lots of good points made here.
    I agreed with it may be more of a challenge to replace the Aztec Gold Strat then the Tele down the road.
    I agree with trying some other financing arrangement rather than selling one.
    If one truly needs the money, perhaps advertise both and see which brings the best offer the soonest and then the decision is made for you.

I'd have a tough time selling my strat as it's the 1st electric guitar I bought.
    I REALLY like my AVRI butterscotch blonde Tele.
    If I had to pick just one, probably my first guitar as I don't know that I could ever directly replace it. The world seems full of butterscotch blonde Teles unless you're connected to the one you own and somehow its unique from any other out there.
    that's my 2 cents !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.