Keep Tele or Strat?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Spanking Six, Oct 11, 2019.

1. BlackieBlues

BlackieBlues TDPRI Member

Honestly, only you can answer this question.
    Everyone is different as far as preferences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioFM74 likes this.
  2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

The strat has more unique sounds than the tele does. The 2, 4, and 5 positions are pretty specifically stratty and sounds you can't get from a tele. The tele has an amazing bridge pickup sound that you can't get all that close to on a strat, but anything ELSE you can get from a tele, you can pretty much get from a strat. So you gotta ask yourself which of those unique sounds are more important to you. If you can live without the strat specific tones, but you can't live without the tele bridge, keep the tele. If you can live without the tele bridge but can't live without the strat specific sounds, keep the strat. If you really can't live without any of them, sell both and get two really good Mexican strats and you'll have a lot of $$$$ left over.

I have a Roadworn tele and a Robert Cray strat with a Roadworn strat neck and I payed less for both of them than you paid for either of your instruments. And I've played both American Originals and liked 'em a lot, but I wouldn't trade what I have for them.

Tough call, or maybe not... But definitely YOUR call... Nobody else's opinion really matters...

-Ray

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Here's how I break it down, only because you asked my opinion. I started playing in 1964, and I've gigged an awful lot of different guitars.

I'm about 55% pro Tele for the sound, 45% pro Strat for comfort. Tele gets the edge for looks - I like that stripped down look, like a stripped down Harley hard tail flat head. The Strat is about the most comfortable guitar to hold I've ever played. Love the Tele bridge pickup, love the Strat neck pickup.

If I was in your position, I'd consider cashing in both of those guitars of yours in favor of less costly versions. You can continue to enjoy the variety of having A Strat and a Tele, you get to shop around and buy stuff :), you cover your crisis, and maybe put away a few bucks against the next rainy day.

If you just want to keep one of the two you have, keep the one you play the most. That's the one you'll miss the most, and only you can make the choice.

4. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

On one hand, you have the holy grail, on the other, the golden fleece. If it's money you need, keep both guitars and sell a kidney.

whoanelly15 likes this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just sat here and thought if I had to choose between my MIA Tele or my MIA Strat. Getting rid of either would kill me.

Is what you're playing more suited to Strat or Tele tones? They sound and play very differently from each other. I think I'd go with the one that fits the music I'm playing at the moment and will be playing in the near future, and then get a replacement ASAP, even if it's a used MIM Standard.

Another way would be to go with keeping the rarer of the two. My US Strat is a '96 Hot Rod Series Lone Star, and it would be harder to find another of those than my '07 American Series Tele.

6. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Those are both keepers! You have a full range of distinct tones!

If you need cash NOW you'll be lucky to get $1200 for either. Not sure of the guitar market where you are but rule of thumb is 60% of new; not MSRP and not what you paid but cheapest new price anywhere!

Here in Tucson for fun I check CL daily and have seen the SAME rotation of $1000+ guitars for MONTHS! I can't get $1100 for a 2012 '58 AVRI Tele! it's been on CL since June!

If you're smart enough to pick two of the coolest new guitar around you should be smart enough to raise $1000 in less time it will take to sell them.

Not trying to bust yer balls! I've sold more guitars at loss than I care to mention and consider almost EVERY guitar I've sold a mistake....

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have three Teles and a strat but, if forced , I'd keep the strat as you can get 5 sounds and play more songs with a strat.

8. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

The op is going to well confuse himself asking the same post on strat talk, obviously most there will say strat and most here will say tele.

"life is really simple but we Insist in making it complicated"
    Confucius

Telebeestar and RadioFM74 like this.
  9. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Keep the Tele and sell the Strat

Strats are the worst guitar built EVER. shape is wrong and ugly, headstock is wrong and ugly ( I may like the 70's big headstock) , positions 2 and 4 make me puke. Vibrato is wrong, the volume pot is too near the strings, controls are wrong, jack is at the wrong place, too much plastic, too much inane pickups and they make no difference, too much holes in the wood... a complete waste of wood and money
    AND, if ypou buy the cheapest Strat is not going to be any difference as long as you like the neck shape. Wasting money in a strat is the dumbest thing to do when you already ahve a good guitar (the Tele)

SELL THE STRAT

Is my opinion :rolleyes:

You asked :lol:

Rowdyman, Kezzell, navier and 2 others like this.
  10. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Sell the amp!

Sorted.

pulteney, zammie and mkdaws32 like this.
  11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Sell them both and buy a Les Paul.

(I do try to be consistent, here and there.)

12. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Yeah el Marin Leo got it well wrong not … only the most sold and copied guitar of all time the strat.

13. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Personally I’d go Tele. But I’m not a Strat fan.

Best way I know when faced with this sort of choice is to flip a coin.

No seriously: If you are happy with the result, then cool, decision made. If you aren’t then that tells you what your heart really thinks.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  14. Pixie-Bob

Pixie-Bob Tele-Meister

This one would test the wisdom of Solomon. But how about this...
    Keep both guitars and sell the Amp?

15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Keep them both and buy a Jag!

whoanelly15, beyer160 and beagle like this.
  16. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i like the sell both and buy 2 cheaper option but,if you must sell one i'd keep the tele.i love that bridge pick up!

17. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

Never sell a guitar you love.

texastengu, navier, NewKid and 2 others like this.
  18. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have two good teles and a good Strat, but my #1 for the last year has been the $300 (used) Epi gold top LP Standard my wife gave me for Christmas last year. Of course I'm keeping the others, I play them, too.

Point is, there are a lot of great $300 guitars out there.

Telebeestar and NewKid like this.
  19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

Sell both.

Buy a G&L ASAT Special.

Strat neck sounds and Tele bridge sounds in the same guitar. Plus a tonne of versatility of other position Strat and Tele sounds (and everything in between) from the neck or the bridge jumbo MFD pickups, depending on how you set the tone and volume knobs.

Plus you get a humbucking/noiseless middle position that can do the middle Strat sound or a middle Tele sound depending on where you set the volume and tone kobs.

http://glguitars.com/product/asat-classic-special/
    Special

http://glguitars.com/product/asat-classic-s/
    StratTele

http://glguitars.com/product/asat-classic-s-alnico/
    TeleStrat

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Sell both and buy a Jazzmaster!

Telebeestar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.