Keep Tele or Strat?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by The Spanking Six, Oct 11, 2019.

1. The Spanking Six

The Spanking Six TDPRI Member

I am torn, and I would appreciate your input. I currently own an American Original 50s Tele in butterscotch blonde and an American Original 50s Stratocaster in Aztec Gold. Absolutely love both guitars and their distinctive tones. Love the Strat’s comfort, but also love the spank of the Tele. Ideally, I would keep both but unfortunately (and heartbreakingly) have to sell one. Not a professional by any means, just someone who likes to jam at home (a lot) on the couch plugged into a tweed Blues Jr. I am aware that this is a Tele forum and will post the same question on Strat Talk to compare answers. Which would you keep? Help please!

Attached Files:

joey pinter likes this.
  2. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Welcome and I am sorry for your Sophie's choice.

Having nothing else to go on, I would say strat. My guess is it will be harder to find an Aztec Gold strat than a butterscotch tele if you wanted one in the future.

3. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

If you have to ask....

Hehe - couldn't resist.

I say, play them both heaps sitting down as well as standing. See what one fits you better overall, sound, looks, weight, etc... go from there. Don't worry re others' opinions, go with what speaks to you.

Dismalhead, TinyTree, bcorig and 9 others like this.
  4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Not that I've tried, but I'd venture to say it's simpler and cheaper to make a Strat sound Tele-ish, than to make a Tele sound Strat-ish.

5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have a spare kidney or something?

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Best advice, ultimately. We can give you pointers on what to consider (and go on all day about what we'd each choose), but it's an extremely subjective topic.

7. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

No brainer - keep the tele.
    Now feel free to tell us all the practical stuff like what each is worth to you, how much each will sell for in your area, and most importantly what new tele you're going to buy with the proceeds..

Festofish, navier, JeffBlue and 2 others like this.
  8. The Spanking Six

The Spanking Six TDPRI Member

They have equal worth in my eyes and heart, that’s my problem. Either one would likely sell for $2,000 where I live. And I only wish I could use the money for another guitar, but need it for something else.

9. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

You just tryin’ to start an argument here?:lol:

It’s been Telecasters my entire life (and I’m a charter member of the grouchy-old-guy cartel here). I finally knuckled and bought a Strat this year (only because it had similar Texas Special pups like my favorite Tele). And while I do like it, I’d let it go… long before I ever/never release my Tele. Of course I intend to keep ‘em both.

So there… “let the wild rumpus begin / continue”!

JeffBlue and howardlo like this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Hard hard choice... They are really different and both have their strengths. I disagree that it’s easier to make a strat sound like a tele than a télé sound like a strat. I have been trying to squeeze those spanky and aggressive tele bridge sounds out of a strat bridge position with very little luck. I got close-ish with a pickup swap, but it doesn’t sound like a strat anymore either. I have had a much easier time getting a strat neck sound out of a Tele. Neither one sounds like the other in the middle position and if Strat Quack is your thing and you love positions 2 and 4 (which I don’t) then you are plain out of luck with a Tele.

You have a dilemma there and my biggest fear is that you’ll regret your decision either way :(

jfiffik likes this.
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

If it was me I'd sell 'em both, use half the money to do whatever you have to do & use the other half to buy a secondhand American Standard Strat -- AND an AS tele. You won't be giving away much if anything in terms of sound or playability, compared to the American Original stuff, and you don't have to make a choice you don't want to make. I would rather have both than a super-shiny example of either. (If you don't like the belly cut and the Strat saddles of the AS tele, the American Special is a terrific guitar too.)

Tippy, Sporqueman, Bandboy and 10 others like this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Such a choice is entirely personal. You don't plan to choose by popular vote, do you?

Only you can make this decision - by putting your own time and effort into playing and evaluating what each instrument means to you... then make your decision.

idjster and jfiffik like this.
  13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Are you using the trem? That would be the more practical way to chose.

If you are not using the trem then, despite the five positions switch of the strat, the tele offers a wider spectrum of tones because the two pickups are quite different. And you can't replicate the tele's bridge pickup with a standard strat pickup.

See which one is making the Blues Junior sing!

Irondog and RadioFM74 like this.
  14. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I played that Aztec Gold Strat and it has a really fat neck. I think the AO Tele has a beefy neck as well. I liked them both.

Very tough decision, but not for me. I would go with the lighter guitar.

I just got a used Sonic Red Player Strat in mint condition for <$500. What a great instrument and it’s definitely good to have both a Tele and Strat around.

I like one of the posts that suggested selling both and getting two less expensive but still excellent Fender guitars.

I would seriously look at the new Vintera line if I had to start over and replace two American Originals.

Good luck to you. It’s just guitars and they come and go as life rolls on.

Telebeestar and 1stpitch like this.
  15. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Get rid of the woman that is making you make this sacrifice lol

16. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

Sell both. Buy a Tele and Strat for $1000 each. Use the extra $2000 for your need.

17. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

Oh and I agree with @KC sell them both buy cheaper variations of them both , I believe they even do a 50s player strat in shoreline gold which are really nice guitars.

18. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

And her creepy cat too.

Tippy, Telebeestar, 1stpitch and 8 others like this.
  19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

:lol:

20. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Keep your Tele .

bcorig likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.