Keep seeing the same guitars for sale...why aren't they selling?

FuncleManson

Tele-Holic
Bottom line is human nature. If you're looking to buy, all the sellers are greedy bastards, and if you're trying to sell, all the buyers are cheap bastards. :)

Seriously though, I think selling depends a lot on how in need of quick cash you are. I sold a couple of Les Pauls on FB Marketplace this summer. I got full asking price (and $350 more than I paid) on my 2013 Heritage Cherry Burst LP Standard and came down $150 from asking (but still $75 more than I paid) for a 2013 Tobacco Burst LP Signature T. It took a while for both, but I wasn't desperate for money, so I was able to be patient. Someone who needs cash in a hurry doesn't have that luxury.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I’m confused, the TDPRI manta for last two years has been desperation sales of pandemic purchases will lead to rock bottom prices.

Possibly the newbie buyers are not so desperate and have no problem keeping a guitar under the bed if it doesn’t sell.
Give it some time. It will happen if this continue the way they are or get worse.

I think many bought within the last two years who probably are/were new players and just sprung for gear at full retail. Now that the honeymoon period is over and they're back to work or haven't been able to find work after the pandemic they are trying to recoup as much of what they paid. They aren't that desperate YET to sell, but wondering how this will change when they do start becoming more desperate.Once the noose squeezes a little tighter and they start having to dip more into their savings (or have no savings at all) things may start to change. Sort of similar to people who bought cars in the last year or so and paid well over MSRP because dealers marked everything up due to low inventory/scarcity of chips and workers, etc. The car market is starting to slowly correct itself. If those peopel who bought at the height of market can't afford the car anymore for whatever reason or want to trade it in a after a couple years (which a lot of Americans seem to do despite having a perfectly good car) it's going to be a big shock to them when they discover their trade-in aint worth what is was a year or two ago because the market has corrected. Tons of peopel will be underwater in their loans, and this is sort of the same as the guitar market. So many people bought at full retail prices and dont understand that if you do some diffing you can get a lot of things for 15%+ off of retail. They never touched the guitar so they think they can get close to what they paid for it, when in reality their asking price ends up being at or very near the same price those of us who are more savvy can get it for new with a return policy, warranty, etc.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire

Keep seeing the same guitars for sale...why aren't they selling?​

Pretty simple to my pretty simple reasoning, these guitars are not selling because they are not priced at a point that make them desirable on the used market.

"The used market" isn't monolithic, though. There are several "used markets":

-Your local Craigslist
-Reverb
-Ebay
-Guitar Center

Let's say I live in the middle of Nebraska (no offense to Nebraskans)- there may not be anyone in 100 miles who has the slightest interest in a Dr Z amp. So, the value on my local used market is maybe $200 at a pawn shop. On Reverb, it may be $1500. Just because no one in my podunk town wants a high end piece of music gear doesn't mean it has no value anywhere. As with any product, you just need to find the right market.

It is a waste of my time if I make an inquiry and an offer at a reasonable price and the seller declines to accept it or negotiate a deal. It is a waste of the seller's time if he seriously intends to sell the item and yet he isn't smart enough to accept a reasonable offer.
Or, maybe you wasted the seller's time because he considers YOUR offer "unreasonable". It's all a matter of perspective, nothing to get upset about. A few years ago there was a dumbass on my local CL who always responded to everyone's ads, telling them they're idiots and their stuff is overpriced. He told me my TVL Jazzmaster was only worth $200 because it was made in Mexico. I always got an extra chuckle when I sold my stuff at asking price.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Or, maybe you wasted the seller's time because he considers YOUR offer "unreasonable". It's all a matter of perspective, nothing to get upset about. A few years ago there was a dumbass on my local CL who always responded to everyone's ads, telling them they're idiots and their stuff is overpriced. He told me my TVL Jazzmaster was only worth $200 because it was made in Mexico. I always got an extra chuckle when I sold my stuff at asking price.
As I see it, I didn't waste the seller's time when I made an inquiry and a reasonable offer. He wasted his own time.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
The sellers are not motivated enough.

No worries.

Even homely girls get invited to the prom.
detail.00b7cbbe.png

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
You'll be seeing some of this equipment on craigslist and Facebook after the holidays. It'll be brand new with all the plastic still on it. And they'll be trying to sell it for 20% off retail.

I'm not complaining. If you wanna try to run that gambit, go for it. Just highlighting what happens with a lot of it – intentionally.

Lately I've been seeing a number of those Squier CV guitars that Fender blew out back on Labor Day listed for sale about halfway between the blowout price and the current retail. Brand new, etc.
I used to buy at the holiday blowout sales and I actually have been successful at flipping blowout gear for a profit. I posted a while ago about a new Ibanez bass that I bought at a MARS Music Memorial day sale. Its neck was bowed, and I think I paid around $160 for it. I took it back to the store a few days later and their tech set it up for free. A week or so later I was back in the store and a guy was trying out an identical bass that was priced somewhere around $350. I told him that I would sell him mine for much less. He followed me to my house and we did the deal.

When Best Buy got out of the music gear business I bought a few things. I bought a brand new Squier Classic Vibe 60's Telecaster Custom for $220, not to flip it but because I thought that I wanted it. I brought it home and immediately realized that I didn't like it as much as my other Teles. Foolishly, I returned it. That would have been an easy flip.

NeverTooLate

Tele-Meister
So many people bought at full retail prices and dont understand that if you do some diffing you can get a lot of things for 15%+ off of retail. They never touched the guitar so they think they can get close to what they paid for it, when in reality their asking price ends up being at or very near the same price those of us who are more savvy can get it for new with a return policy, warranty, etc.

Yup.

It is especially hilarious for guitars like Player series Fenders and others that are regularly discounted 20% or more. And yet people ask for as much or MORE for used ones! All the time. For me, for a Player (non-Plus) to be attractive, it has to cost max 60% of normal full price since it goes at 20% off sales all the time anyway. But since Player is inexpensive in the first place, would I bother saving up to 150 or would I rather buy new from Guitar Center AND be able to return it with no hassle if I dislike it? Yeah.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
Of course, but you would also think that those who are in a bind financially because of the recent rapid inflation would be more inclined to sell their gear to help make ends meet, but currently that doesn't seem to be the case with people who are selling are asking insane prices and the guitars aren't selling.
Probably told by a spouse to sell their gear, so they say, "sure, honey" and list it for a price nobody would ever pay, allowing him to buy time and hang onto his geetar...:lol:

NeverTooLate

Tele-Meister
Now, the one used item I bought was the Blackstar HT 5-II from a guy locally who obviously was a Covid player and the amp looked pristine with box with foam etc. I knew he had sold a PRS already. He wanted 400 but agreed to 350.

Well, 350 vs 550+tax=600 for the new one and no discounts seemed like an actual deal to me. Then the amp failed within minutes once at home. Off to repair, they told me it was definitely a factory issue. So the guy must have known or really never even tried it. Either way, he agreed to pay half of the repair, so 100 of 200.

And so I ended up paying 450 vs 600. Worth it? Absolutely not. I had to deal with the hassle of finding a place that would repair it, texting the guy back and forth, and I am still debating whether i should just dump it lest it shows some other issue. But I am trying to be fact-driven and since it is otherwise mint and the production issue has not reappeared in 2 months (I have another month warranty on that one from the shop), I will probably keep it.

It surely reaffirms my conviction that used is only warranted on deep discount so that you still end up with a discount if something goes wrong. This was 42% and it ended up as 25% after the repair.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Yup.

It is especially hilarious for guitars like Player series Fenders and others that are regularly discounted 20% or more. And yet people ask for as much or MORE for used ones! All the time. For me, for a Player (non-Plus) to be attractive, it has to cost max 60% of normal full price since it goes at 20% off sales all the time anyway. But since Player is inexpensive in the first place, would I bother saving up to 150 or would I rather buy new from Guitar Center AND be able to return it with no hassle if I dislike it? Yeah.

To be fair, some of those folks bought them at full retail. So they don't know that the Player they paid $850 for sometimes (often?) goes out the door for $700.

They list it used for what you could pay new.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I haven't sold or bought much on CL, but assume that if I want to sell something, price it high and expect some (pretty awful) counter offers, try and get to a price you can live with.

But yeah, after 5 months at the same price you start to wonder about a seller.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think a few things are going on:
-It was always a long haul to sell a guitar of much value, especially over $800 or so. They can sit for sale forever.

-The market has gotten expensive for most everything. Like 40-60% more. Individual sellers are influenced because they see these ads for new stuff so high. Me too. You used to be able to buy a Princeton Reverb new cabinet properly made with pine etc for $250. Now Mojo is $405. So if you are selling one, you're thinking $250... just what you paid to start with.

-However, buyers still have their minds set in 2-3 years ago. I can't blame them, me too. But is it realistic?

-Many sellers aren't needing the money, so they are willing to just sit. They just need to clear some stuff out like most of us.

-Yes, some inexperienced sellers think they shouldn't take a loss on an instrument they bought new. The standard used to be 50%-70% of new value it seems to me.

-There is a shortage of many things for sale really. Used "in demand' speakers, amp chassis', empty Fender cabinets etc that used to be available regularly on Ebay are nearly non existent now. Heck, you could hardly give away an old Oxford Fender speaker years ago. Now they are a collectors item!

One thing I have learned about CL, if something a little expensive is not selling, take it off for a few days. Relist it then. Check your ads for good info and what's good about the item. Also, try an adjacent area. Seems like anything I sell off CL sells after I just relisted it.

Last edited:

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
As I see it, I didn't waste the seller's time when I made an inquiry and a reasonable offer. He wasted his own time.
I've had an amp listed at the high side of reasonable for about six months. I probably could have sold it already at 1/3 the price but I don't need to move it, and it only takes a couple seconds to respond to the one or two offers I get each week. The right buyer/trade will come along eventually. Sometimes I play the short game, sometimes I play the long game.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I haven't sold or bought much on CL, but assume that if I want to sell something, price it high and expect some (pretty awful) counter offers, try and get to a price you can live with.

But yeah, after 5 months at the same price you start to wonder about a seller.

Doesn't usually work that way in my experience. If the price isn't attractive then no one contacts you at all. The only "offers" you typically get directly are lowball offers. Way lowball.

The sellers that end up buying usually contact you and ask a few questions. Then some follow up with a "what's the lowest you would take". Few of them want to take a chance and make an offer when you might give them an even lower price. Kind of silly.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I don’t consider it greedy to ask more than what an item you own is worth. Is it delusional and/or unrealistic? Yeah, but it’s yours and you can ask what you want. The people who are trying to get something nice on the cheap are the ones who are offended, and they are just as unrealistic. But again, they are also entitled to only pay what they want to. People who buy and sell frequently just seem to like the game, and no matter what the game, nobody wins every time.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Inflation fears are obviously affecting many markets. Many people's retirement savings have tanked due to the bear stock created by the Fed increasing interest rates. Many people who traditionally drive the guitar market may have never seen their savings crash and inflation at the same time. The home heating season is coming up with sky-high fuel prices. As others have said, for many people it isn't a good time to spend on non-essential items.
You've probably hit the nail on the head. I'm at the age where I don't care to buy. I don't have to sell but would because I just no longer care. The cost of living is out of control. I would rather have electricity, water, groceries and fuel in my pickup than a Billy Wizzbang signature anything. If I can't cook it, don't need it.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
When I was a young newspaper-advertising salesman, I thought I might like to play guitar, and I bought a new Takamine F-360 from one of my customers. I think I paid $250.

Progress was slow, money got tight, classified ads were free to me, and I advertised it for sale, $200. Crickets. Dropped it to $175. Nothing. Went to $150, then $125.

At the $100 mark, I decided I'd just as well keep it. Happily for me, the rest is history!