1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Keep Austin Weird.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MandyMarie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. awfulguitarnois

awfulguitarnois Tele-Holic

Sorry to veer off the subject, but since you're in Austin, I was wondering if you've ever run across Scott Biram or (Possessed by) Paul James? Just saw their show the other day in Michigan and it was incredible. Again, sorry about the detour.

2. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Yepp! I've double billed with both of them - I'm a huge fan of all of the Hillgrass Bluebilly guys and my friend Shelby Kelley (from Indianapolis - where I was living before coming to Austin) has done a ton of artwork for them. Did you see the new two thumbs t-shirt? That's Shelby's work and it's so dang cool...I'm dying to buy that tee!

3. MandyMarie

By the way, bike ride on a fixed gear in today's heat? ...bad idea. It's a warm one!

4. awfulguitarnois

awfulguitarnois Tele-Holic

No, I didn't see that one! I almost bought the 'Jesus Loves Scott Biram' one, but realized I'd drank too much of my shirt money... hahaha. They were also with Left Lane Cruiser, and they were fantastic, as well. All of those guys' music is just... real. And it was fun because when they weren't on stage, they just kinda milled around and talked to everyone. Seemed like a nice bunch of guys. I drove 4 hours to see it, and it was worth every minute.

5. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like Leslie was way dressed up for the occasion. He used to hang out at the Albertson's supermarket wearing a thong bikini... way too "cheeky" imho.

6. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

There is a homeless guy in Minneapolis that carries a sharpie and collects signatures on his clothing from everyone he meets on the street. I forget his name, but he is well known.

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Has this been posted?

Leslie Refrigerator Magnets - Getcha sum -

Lost_N_Austin

8. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I don't have any Leslie stories exactly, but here is, or was, the Leslie experience for thousands of Austin guys. You're driving west on 6th Street, close to Katz's and from the back you see this tall, leggy thing, with somewhat broad, but slender shoulders, in a micro skirt, high heels and a retro hat. You think, and sometimes blurt out: Yowza! As you pass her, you turn your head to check out the rest of her and: "Oh, maaaan," you see the beard and realize you have been chumped again. It has happened to me at various downtown locations half a dozen times over the years.

9. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

he's austin's mr butch.

10. Cliff Schecht

Cliff Schecht Tele-Holic

First time I saw Leslie was when I was eating at Katz's with my dad and grandma one night. Two things I distinctly remember about that particular visit were the particularly disgusting looking chicken liver sandwich my grandma was eating and the old man in a thong and cape slowly pushing a really full shopping cart past the window.

I miss Austin sometimes.. Too bad it's being taken over by the Dallas crowd!

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Um...

Toni Price is great.

Great.

Hell - she bailed on San Diego to come back to Austin.

"Keep Austin Weird" ?

Isn't it pretty much over when ya start seeing those stickers ?

12. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have some friends that retired and moved to Austin about 5 years ago.

They stopped by today for a visit.

While we were talking I asked them about Leslie, but of course I couldn't remember his name, where he hangs our, or really much about him...but I did remember, and mention, a zebra-striped miniskirt...

Their eyes lit up and they both yelled out "Leslie!"

All sorts of stories about him.

Mandy Marie, I put them on the lookout for you. I am sure they will stumble across you somewhere.

Don't you believe a word of anything that they say about me. ;)

13. MandyMarie

One day...I want to be a famous homeless person who wanders around smiling all day doing what I can to make other people happy, too. One day.

14. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

You made a name for yourself here in the midwest, so moving from here to such a large state like Texas pulled you out of your comfort zone. I myself know alot of people that have known you and your band. And talk pops up every now and then on the Indy music scene. I think its cool to be known in more than one town. Chicago to Cleveland is a big stretch.

For those out there that dont know Indy is the shorted name for Indianapolis for all us Indiana folk.

15. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

Darn it Mandy Marie, every time I read your posts here or elsewhere I kinda wanna take a trip down to see my sister in San Perlita and find an excuse to get "stuck" in Austin for a few days! Lol

16. MandyMarie

Awwwww, darlin'! *blush*

I'm the happiest in my life when I'm playing music. I feel so thankful that I get to do it...people should make us pay THEM to sit and watch us all be goofballs - musicians are the luckiest people on the planet for getting to do this!!! :):):)

17. MandyMarie

Uncle Buck, I love it that they knew Leslie without you even saying his name! ...and I love it that Leon totally gave Leslie the "what you doin'?" eyeball before he noticed the beard.

I really need those Dress Leslie fridge magnets...although I'd most likely just keep him close to naked all the time as a motivator to work out. His legs? Amazing.

Noah, please do!

18. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

I know this may not be the healthiest thing to say on a Telemaster forum, but I've always been anti-Texas... But since I've become more aware of the Austin culture and, of course, the legendary music scene, I've been dying to check it out. I'll just hafta deal with the heat lol

19. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

I'll be your friend Mandy if you promise to keep those boots on. :D

20. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Couldn't deal with the heat, so I moved back north after 3 years. Nice place, lousy climate. 100 degrees in December? No thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.