1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Keep Austin Weird.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MandyMarie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

I'm finally starting to find my place here in Austin...I love this city madly, but it was a little hard at first going from being a "big fish" in a small regional pond to being absolutely nobody (I'm not saying I deserve to BE somebody, I just mean it was weird walking in a bar and not knowing a SOUL - I was so used to being able to walk in a bar in Chicago or Louisville or St. Louis or Indy or Cleveland or wherever and having someone know me from our band and immediately having someone to pal around with...not having that was scary!) Now I'm gigging pretty regularly here in Austin and I've made a fantastic group of friends, and I'm loving the city more than ever!

Annnnnnyway, Wednesday night we played Leslie's birthday party at Threadgills. I'm still the new kid in town and I had no idea who Leslie was, but I was stoked to play at Threadgills (Armadillo World Headquarters territory!). So I get to the club and they're filming a documentary on this Leslie person. I immediately have a camera shoved in my face and I have to embarrassingly admit that I'm the new kid and as much as I hate to say it, I have no idea who Leslie is.

Toni Price was on before us and as soon as she was done I start setting up my gear...and here comes Leslie. An older gentleman in a zebra print mini skirt with legs FAR better than my own. I quickly find out that Leslie has ran for mayor three times and almost won, he's been banned from several cities in the state of Texas, he's homeless, he has an iPhone app...I could go on and on.

To say he...erm...took to me...would be the understatement of the year. He introduced me as his girlfriend from the stage, told the crowd I had only been in Austin several months and that they should talk to me and be my friend, he read Ernest Hemingway lines over one of our songs, and kissed our upright bass player on the chest.

Threadgills was PACKED and the whole city of Austin was celebrating this man's birthday with drinks and cake. Proceeds went to Leslie and the Austin Homeless campaign and we all had a freaking blaaaaaast.

I had such a great night and totally fell in love with Austin, Texas all over again. Keep Austin Weird? ....indeed!

Do any of you Austin guys have a Leslie story that's appropriate for the board? :):):)

Attached Files:

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like he's trying too hard. But, this is from a guy with a low-sloping forehead from Kansas....:p

Enjoy it MandyMarie!

3. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

I will live there someday ,I used to play there several times a Year at Emos and anywhere else that would have Me ,got to see the Bats at the bridge,and catch Junior Brown at the continental ......all that must do stuff BUT never met Leslie. Glad You are settling in . My good Friend Ron works at Red 7 ,stop by and say Hello for Me ,He and His Wife are wonderful People .

4. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

Leslie sounds a lot like Kalamazoo's very own "purple Dave."

5. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

You'd better hurry, we're almost full.

6. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Afflicted

BTW, I have more than enough Leslie stories, since I work at 6th and Congress, the corner at which he used to spend most of his time. Most probably aren't appropriate for this board. I will say most of the ladies in the building were envious of how good his legs looked. I really couldn't say I agreed. :lol:

He has his own wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Cochran

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

My brush with Leslie went like this

My wife and I figured out how to get in to see the Austin City Limits tapings and were fortunate enough to get into 35 or 40 tapings in the last 10 years. Part of the procedure was to listen to the radio station that would announce "space available" tickets. We would have to race over and get two tickets and these tickets allowed you to come back on the day of the show where they made us get a sequence number and wait in line outside the studio building until 20 minutes before show time. If there were any seats left from the ACL Patrons not showing up, we got to go inside. To insure we got in to "most" of them, we would get in line 3 or more hours early.

I've been fortunate to have met many fine Austinites in that line over the years. One person who was in that line one day was Leslie. I can't say I really met him, because I really didn't think I had anything in common with him, but I will never forget the sight of him changing close on the sidewalk in a crown of 60-75 people, just as though he was in a locker room of his peers - (whatever that is). He changes out of his Pink TuTu into a more formal long skirt. :lol:

Somethings you just can't Unsee.:eek:

Lost_N_Austin

8. MandyMarie

Ohhhh, my Facebook friends have seen the photos of my shocked face as he hiked that zebra print mini up to show off his rainbow thong. Thanks so much for tagging me in THAT one, Mr. Photographer! That guy was a trip! And he's actually seriously intelligent - we had a conversation that shocked me. His knowledge on the subject made me forget the fact he was wearing a rainbow thong.

I love that about Austin though! That many people came out to celebrate that dudes birthday - I love it!

When he was quoting Hemingway over us we all just stood there grinning...what do you do?! He made it fit with the music (including the breaks!) and pointed to Robert to do an upright bass solo. I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe.

LIA, thanks soooo much for coming to our show at the Carousel!!! That club is another reason I love Austin - I felt like I was in a David Lynch film. That paper mâché pink elephant kind of freaked me out, and I kept expecting someone to talk backwards!

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I love it!

Tim

10. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

I dont know much about Austin, but will be there in September. I sort of have people down there. MM i like that picture of you better.

11. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

MandyMarie, have you gone swimming at Barton Springs? great way to cool off on a hot day.

12. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

Back in the early 80s there was a place next to the bus station called Club Foot. People were way ahead of the country when it came to culture and fashon.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Austin is still the only real city in Texas, IMO.
    It ain't never been weird, it's right!
    It's a welcoming, civilized town.
    First time I saw Leslie was in 2003.
    Yellow bikini, try as I may, I'll never forget it!

14. MandyMarie

Ohhhh, Barton Springs is Heaven! I go there at least a couple times a week with friends - swimming in cold water while staring at downtown Austin and laughing at your goofball friends...Heavenly! :):):)

I really love the way Dave and I are looking at each other in this photo - "...what do we do?" - Leslie had just started telling a story about dogs being the only pure form of life on the planet.

Now I see Leslie everywhere btw! I seen him yesterday when I went to the grocery...I feel like I've been out of the loop for so long. He was wearing the yellow bikini!!

Attached Files:

15. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

looks like the King of Walmart...

16. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

He's less weird than that guy they let fly in lingerie.
    Keep it strange and fun - Austin sounds like what normal should be.

17. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Well, he sounds way less annoying than Beatle Bob is :D

Every weird place needs a Ruthie the Duck Lady. Glad to see Austin has someone filling that need!

I am way overdue for a long visit to Austin. I think I'm just gonna have to leave a certain spouse in FL, as she revolts every time the Texas weather comes into the summer vacation equation.

Anyways, sounds like a hella good gig Mandy! :cool:

18. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

BEATLE BOB !!!!! Legendary :lol:

19. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like my kind of place. Maybe one day I will visit.

20. MandyMarie

You guys have to fill me in on the famous people in your towns that help keep the city weird! Who's Beatle Bob?! Why didn't someone tell me about Leslie?! I've always felt like the odd one and it turns out I'm not...I'm not at all!

...you guys have all been holding out on me :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.