Keeley FuzzHead

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Birdinlays, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Any thoughts on this pedal. I know: it's been discontinued, it's a sort of hybrid fuzz overdrive? If I run it in front of a dirty Marshall combo will I get that sort of "woman tone" ala Cream, Johnson or Bonamassa. Whats a reasonable price to pay?

2. Linc Gray

Linc Gray Tele-Holic

My favourite pedal.

3. Birdinlays

60 bucks a good deal?

4. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

I have about 28+ Keeley pedals ( most on this forum call me the resident Keeley-phile). The Fuzz Head is my favorite. It cuts through the clutter and gives you great tone every time. Understand that it's not a pure fuzz or pure OD, but a unique sound that's all it's own. Don't expect the sound of your favorite player, expect YOUR sound.......with a little help from the great Keeley Fuzz Head...........!!!!!

5. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Keeley Fuzz Head is a nice sounding differential distortion/fuzz with a Ge tranny at the input stage. I think it was discontinued early 2015 and substituted with the Son of the Fuzz Head which is kind of upgraded Fuzz Head.
    A used Fuzz Head goes for $110-120 in average. So if you can get it for $60 in a mint condition it's a steal. I'd say just go for it. Here's the sound:

6. Birdinlays

Cool, thanks for the info/help.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've been touting this pedal for a long time. It sounds great with every amp and guitar I've tried!

It's got a great gritty, crunchiness, but doesn't get splatty. It can be like living just this side of out of control. It cleans up with the guitar volume than better than any other pedal I know of. It's EQ is pretty even, although I do sense a bit of bass cut.

Woman tone? Maybe, I've never chased it down. But, I imagine turning down the guitars tone knob could get you there. Woman tone, as I understand it is a pretty saturated tone, with the highs cut pretty good. With the bass cut from the FH and the tone knob rolled back, it would be rather mid heavy....

8. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

My Fuzz Head is pretty old.......

Attached Files:

9. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Wow! Must be the next one after the original grey box Fuzz Head. Was it released in 2002-2003?

10. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

U're kidding, right ? Buy it, try it, love it, or sell it double price ! Go ! run ! Fast !

11. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome. Must buy another (I am currently w/o one)

12. Birdinlays

Its 80$ cdn which works out to about 57$ American. I'm picking it up tomorrow evening.

13. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Cool! Let us know how you'll feel about the pedal.

14. Birdinlays

I picked it up this evening, jammed out for a bit on it. It comes real close to sounding like what hopped it would. It came with extra caps (so you can change the pedals sound) but I'm assuming it has a pretty high value in it as it's fairly thick sounding on the lower string. I'll fool around with more this weekend.

Thanks for the help folks

15. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

BUGGER . . . did not know they are discontinued :(

YES, it is a great pedal.

Kinda fuzzy overdrive.
    LOVE this thing - should have bought it when i was in Guitar Center two years ago.

16. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

FYI,

If it didn't come with the manual, got to Keeley and get it- there are 2 internal trimpots. One to adjust gain range (I cranked mine to make it more fuzz-like), and one to adjust treble (I turned mine down some).

17. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mine's pretty old too. I thought it had been rehoused or something, but Keeley verified that it's the real thing.

I love this pedal. Surprisingly, it can do a lot of what my Fulltone '69 Pedal does. It even cleans up real well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

Ha! The Fuzz Head. This pedal gets a new thread every single year. And rightfully so. I sold mine once. Bought another one not long afterward. Not always on my board, but it always makes me happy when it's there. It MUST be some sort of modern classic. I've always wondered if there was any Red Llama (of which I have no experience) inspiration in its design?

19. Tle4

Tle4 Tele-Afflicted

I just picked up a Fuzz Head. Been wanting to try one for some time now. Very cool pedal. It seems to have the best of a low gain OD and Fuzz in one pedal. Sounds huge with a dirty amp or another OD pedal

20. snottyboy

snottyboy Tele-Meister

A lot of possibilities for the person willing to spend some time with it and not just keep your volume and tone knobs maxed (although that is fine as well). Cap switches and internal tinkering yield interesting things, too. Plus the facts that it responds well with external power and happily sits anywhere on your board tend to keep it in play. Boost, OD, fuzz are all possible.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.