1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Keeley DS-9 is the DS-1/SD-9 I never knew I wanted...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Mar 5, 2021.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I have tried the DS-1 and tried to like the DS-1....I couldn't.

I tried the SD-9 and marveled at how Landau got a good tone out of it...I couldn't - fizz factory.

Found a used DS-9 and with a $50 GC gift card from the wife, got the pedal for $40...worth the try.

I actually like it and I am surprised by that based on my experience with the originals. The bass knob he put on that thing makes all the difference and the tone of course helps with the fizz that is normally there in the namesake models...

There was 1 other thread on TDPRI about this pedal back in 2017 and thats it - that thread also mentioned surprise for the lack of discussion for the pedal.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. bluesholyman

Pedal shootouts are always fun and I am trying to figure out if I already have the sounds of the DS-9 (SD-9 and DS-1) covered by anything else on the board - I actually didn't think I had a pedal that came close, one of the reasons I brought it home to try, but it turns out I do....

Boss SD-2 seems fairly close: Crunch is like SD-9 and Lead is like DS-1. I say "like" because they aren't exactly the same - eq's in the pedals are a bit different but they get close enough.

The SD-2 is actually smoother in its distortion than the DS-9 is on either setting - bit surprised by this. The Keeley in comparison sounds a tad raspy in the high end. When the bass on the DS-9 in set in DS-1 territory, the SD-2 sounds fuller, but move the bass knob into SD-9 territory and the keeley becomes a bit fuller and more boomy than the SD-2 as you go full CCW.

I think if I didn't already have the SD-2, the DS-9 would be a definite keeper for that 80s rock sound. While the SD-2 doesn't nail it exactly, I think its close enough to cover the bases for my purposes. SD-9 and DS-1 purists would probably disagree with this assessment of mine, but those sounds are not typically in the musical pond I like to swim, so I'm giving the SD-2 some leniency.

3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a day late but...happy NPD. Congrats!

4. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I wonder if the SD-9 is inconsistent. I had an old one that I used a lot and always felt that it was tamer and smoother than most people assumed -- not really massive "distortion." I sold it because I kept reading about how it wasn't a great pedal and that I could get a better sound elsewhere, but subsequent experience leads me to call BS on that crap. I can't vouch for the more recent editions of the pedal; mine was first run and I suspect components change.

5. bluesholyman

No worries, its probably headed back in exchange for something else....not like thats happened before :lol:

RetroTeleRod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.