1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Keef is at it again - Trashes metal and rap

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike H., Sep 3, 2015.

1. Divine Thinline

Divine Thinline Tele-Holic

Still having no "Sympathy For The Devil", he just might need a little "Emotional Rescue" in his old age here.:rolleyes: "When The Whip Comes Down" we sure do "Miss You" but you are now just a "Shattered" loner that "Can't Always Get What You Want." Hangin' around "Sister Morphine" for far too long has definitely shown his proof of having those "Far Away Eyes" that continue to boost his ego even in his old age here. Now so far stuck between a "Rock And A Hard Place", it has become clearer than ever that this "Monkey Man" no longer has his "Hot Stuff" & should just have enough sense to be "Respectable" & quit it with all of the "Lies" already, right?

"Before They Make Me Run" he's just gotta stop being a "Midnight Rambler" again & again, especially with such an arrogant opinion with "Mixed Emotions" like this. My "Love Is Strong" like it's been for many years already for the band, so hopefully these ridiculous, untimely & occasionally unfair opinions of his don't/won't make my "Love In Vain" for both him & even more importantly the band as a whole, ya know? Oh well. I guess that that's "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)", right...lol?:rolleyes:

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

That's your assumption that he meant that. But I wouldn't say that people who practice jazz scatting are tone-deaf.

Here's what the article says:
    Considering he talks about little or no message, it could be he was talking about contemporary commercial rap and it was taken out of context. Or maybe he is ignorant about rap in all forms, which the second part would seem to prove.

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Anyone who thinks rap is atonal is tone-deaf or doesn't listen to much rap, wow, that's just a dumb thing to say. If you transposed the vocal pitches to most rap tunes everyone would notice instantly.

4. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

5. deytookerjaabs

Oh, and anyone who simply listened to Black Sabbath out of their own immature desire for "hard, heavy" music back then probably completely missed the boat there too. Early Sabbath, without question, grooves like crazy with a drummer way deeper in the pocket than 90% of the groups out there. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of whoever they tour with as of late, that guy sounds like the typical dude-bro metal drummers of today.

6. Divine Thinline

^ Yeah, having a real Drummer playing in a band & holding their own no matter what genre is a very important, underrated part of music & songwriting as a whole. There could be a Jazz Drummer playing Metal or a Metal Drummer playing Country as long as they know what to do & where to place things at. That, quite obviously, is the definition of what it takes to be a true professional as far as the art of Drumming goes, ya know? One can try to take Rap's side in being/having a Drumming professional like that but it is true that most, if not all Rap out there today uses just some very similar prerecorded beats/samples or some other form of dull beat(s) like that.

An actual "live" Drummer, whether in the studio or on stage alone is always the better, "real" way to go in music, no doubt. It seems to have more of a purpose of providing them with their sense of staying in time rather than providing them with some actual musicality like most genres achieve/prefer, ya know? Drumming is extremely important to EVERY genre that at least attempts to be unique &/or musical & it clearly proves that nothing but just monotonous, repetitive bass samples sure do get old fast, that's for sure.:mad:

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Cranky old man publicly demonstrates his ignorance, more on this at 11!

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Case in point. :D

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I just think it must be great fun to be old and rich and iconic enough that you can just say whatever the #$% comes into your head.

I don't much agree with his opinions about rap and metal, but I enjoy hearing it.

10. tecelaster

tecelaster Tele-Meister

Never got the Keith Richards worship (or the Stones come to that). The guy has to tune his 5 strings to a chord for goodness sake!
    Anyway - KR has new product to help sell, so 'controversial' soundbites that old farts discuss on forums and in bars :)lol:) will make his management company and accountants happy when product sales reach their targets.

11. Divine Thinline

Just a little more fluff to add to every other thing that he's put out in the past 2+ decades.

12. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

I agree with the cantankerous old git in this case - even if that makes me one as well.

13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Guy expresses polarising opinion. Other guys yell out theirs.

14. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Keith's new album will be released September 18.
    so, any media attention is good for that.
    He's stirring the pot and it`s working.
    see this thread, at three pages already. lol.

funny to see folks on here get all defensive about RAP?
    the last thread about that subject got real curmugeon-ish and then locked.
    So yeah, Keef's at it again - but at the media and everyone reading it.
    he's a master at that too.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

16. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

keef .....mehhhhh...I will say this though,it takes a hell of a lot more talent to play metal than it does to Rap.I would love Keef to try to play any Sabbath song,now that would be funny!

17. deytookerjaabs

It's not a polarizing opinion to say decent rap usually involves heavy in-the-pocket syncopation and the vocals have fundamental pitches that evolve with verse. Saying otherwise is just being wrong, nothing less nothing more. Add to that, there are very few metal bands that syncopate for ****. Some amazing one's indeed, but most metal is straight 8'ths, 16'ths, lacking groove, and mindless scale/arpeggio runs just for the hell of it. The definite majority of shred guitarists I'm buddies with or have given lessons to, sadly, have ZERO aural ability. That's not to knock the better ones out there. Also, it's 2015, if sequencing rhythms hasn't become a proven art form to you, by now, you should get out from under that rock and start digging the heavy hitters.

18. Humbuster

Humbuster Tele-Meister

I happen to agree with him on the Rap part .

Then again, what do I know as I too am a cranky old fart, sitting on the porch, with one hand cradling my tele, the other holding an ice cold beer with 2 great dogs lying at my feet.

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Couldn't agree more.

I'll say it again: Sabbath Rules!

Ain't the real deal without Bill Ward.

Guess I should stop beating around the bush:

Sabbath > Stones.

20. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Keef trying to be "cute"? I'm with him on his opinion on metal and rap.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.