1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Kay Regal and Related Brands Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by bottomfeeder, Jan 16, 2021.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I was looking through folders of pics on the hard drive of my laptop, and came across this image. It's from page 3 of a 1940 Regal Catalog.

upload_2021-1-17_11-47-51.png

2. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Afflicted

I’ll have to check

3. playforfun

944FCAD7-E358-45DF-A5F4-1B47A75B5E06.jpeg

4. playforfun

5. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

That's cool, C.Bruno was a big distributor on the east coast, i have a couple Bruno banjos ,and a Harmony Stella that has that same decal. 16109064314051503147703.jpg 1610906473150-1842724320.jpg
    All made by different companies. I have a Lange made tenor banjo, a Stromberg Voisinet (later to become Kay) tenor and the Harmony. The harp guitar was made by Oscar Schmidt.

stepvan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Love the Radio Tone.

LGOberean likes this.
  7. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder Tele-Meister

Love the prices!

LGOberean likes this.
  8. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Last year I acquired a Truetone-branded Speed Demon on Ebay; it looked like this when I got it:
    [​IMG]

Put in some serious time, though not a whole lot of money, doing a restoration. Handmade pickguard; import mini-humbuckers, replaced the original selector switch with a 5-way rotary wired up like a Strat, put a pop-up switch on one of the tone controls to add the neck p/up independent of the 5-way so you could have all 7 combinations. Here's the result:
    [​IMG]

For those unaware, the Truetone line was sold thru Western Auto stores, mostly by mail order, back in the day. They dubbed this one the "Jazz King:"
    [​IMG]

Sadly, this guitar was destroyed in the fire that gutted my house back in May of last year. Oh well....

stepvan and Martian like this.
  9. bottomfeeder

Sorry to hear about the fire. That's a sad ending.

10. LGOberean

I know the feeling of seeing your house in flames. Sad to hear the house was gutted and you lost that guitar.

Coincidentally/ironically, our house fire was also in May, but back in 2010. And it sounds like we were more fortunate: the house wasn't "gutted." We suffered about 40% damage. The fire had gotten into the attic, so our roof was basically gone. My guitars weren't in the attic, and thanks to firemen who actually brought my guitars out to me, I lost none of them. What we did lose was some old photo albums, a turntable and old record LPs, an amp and a banjo that was my father's.

11. archiemax

archiemax Tele-Meister

Sorry to hear about your fire; it's the kind of thing you think is never gonna happen, but when it does, wowee......I was pretty fortunate in that 18 of my guitars survived with moderate or no damage; surprising given the extent of the fire. My two gigging amps also survived. The worst of the damage was in my workshop where I had 20 years' worth of tools and parts; some salvageable, some not. The house is still under reconstruction and it's gonna be a long time until we get back to normal....though insurance was very generous to us.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. LGOberean

In my first post to this thread, I said I'd post pics from my father's and grandfather's past of guitars that may be Regals.

Both my Dad and his dad played guitar. I have scanned images of old pictures as my only link to these instruments. Neither Granddad's guitar nor my father's was still around by the time I was old enough to remember, so I've never seen either one in person, let alone played them.

The first pic/scanned image is from around 1920, and is of my Granddad and his brother posing with instruments, my Granddad on guitar and my great-uncle on banjo.

[​IMG]

Then, in a scanned image of a pic taken about a quarter of a century later, my Dad on guitar and his twin brother on mandolin.

[​IMG]

Now of course I'm quite sentimental about these two pics. But bringing it back to Regal guitars, a few years ago I searched the Internet to try and discover what these guitars were. In my searches, I came across Scott Baxendale of Baxendale Guitar, who does "Harmony Conversions" (a process of replacing the old ladder bracing with his own style of scalloped X-bracing), and Steve Chipman of Vintage Parlor Guitars, who restores old parlors.

I can't remember now for sure which one said it, but I think it was Chipman who said the guitars in my pics looked like Regals. Because of that, I'm posting these pics here. Both the guitars have MOTS/pearloid fretboards. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like Granddad's guitar has a slotted headstock, whereas Dad's does not. It looks like the waist on Dad's guitar is wider, and that pickguard looks sort of like what I've seen on some Regals. Dad's also has a goblet-shaped metal tailpiece.

Do either of these guitars look familiar to any of you?

Martian likes this.
  13. bottomfeeder

I'm no expert on vintage Regals, so I can't help you there, but those pics are so cool. You have a great heritage.

LGOberean likes this.
  14. LGOberean

Thanks, I definitely think so, too. My kid brother (okay, so he's a 60 year old kid) plays guitar as well. A few years ago, I was visiting on our family farm, and he was going to have me sit in for a set at one of his regular gigs. As we were getting ready to load gear, we decided to strike that familiar-to-our-family/brothers-with-instruments pose out in front of the property. Oh, and from the pic you can tell why I call him my "kid" brother, not my "little" brother. He passed me up height-wise when he was 15, and now he's a lot heavier than me, too. :twisted:

04-08-2017 - Buddy & me, farm guitar pose.jpg

Martian and Wildeman like this.
  15. bottomfeeder

Great shot

LGOberean likes this.
  16. LGOberean

Thanks. The only way this could have been better is if we both were holding Regal parlors. But then again, a parlor-sized guitar in my brother's hands would look like a ukulele.

17. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum Tele-Holic

I’m thinking about joining the club here.. I have a line in an old arch top. It’s branded Kay, has a truss rod, and looks very similar to the 6550... No cutaway, except it has two pancake pickups instead of speed bumps. Does this sound familiar to anyone here?

there is also a red speed demon (later non speed bump version) in a pawn shop I have been struggling not to buy. Can’t have both, or really either if I had any brains... REALLY need to off load a few!

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I love these guitars and would love to find a reasonably priced carcass to rebuild. But it seems like every time we talk about them, the price goes up.

19. bottomfeeder

Don't know that model. Have you checked on Reverb?

20. bottomfeeder

I found some decent deals on carcasses. It was the price of the original pickups that got me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.